Gay Vietnam
Gay World
Everything Else
FAQ & Help
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: No sex tourism policy

Liked

No sex tourism policy

Can someone tell us what this means as we are looking at hotels in Phnom Penh and most say this or have this worded on their web pages? Also can anyone recomend a good hotel in Phnom Penh

Liked

Re: No sex tourism policy

have a look here. Manor House is very good.

phnom-penh-weekend-t27603.html
    Wombat : an Australian marsupial that eats,roots and leaves

Forum's veteran
    Liked

Quote Originally Posted by vanek333
    Can someone tell us what this means as we are looking at hotels in Phnom Penh and most say this or have this worded on their web pages?
    As I have to follow tourist etc news: this is mostly specific NGO-Khmer: loads of NGO's there are having dozens of ''volunteers'' spying every single white tourist to see that s/he is not someone doing the most abject of any vice that currentday westerners can think of, esp. those of the english-speaking parts of this world. Persons <18.
    Roughly the same wording is now used by travelgiants like Neckermann and ThCOoks etc in their travelcatalogues for nearly any place in this world that has a reputation for sex-tourism with underaged. I think in Khmerland they even have special stickers for that purpose. It makes an immense difference if your boy turns 18 tomorrow-or rather yesterday.

In Phnom Penh it seems there are two categories of hotels. The gay friendly ones try to make it plain on their websites that joiners are accepted. Manor House, for example, just requires the boy to be at least 18 yrs old. It can be a different boy (or two) every night.

A new gay run hotel is scheduled to open in Phnom Penh in mid-March, called the Rambutan, affiliated with Golden Banana in Siem Reap.

The other category of hotel features a prominent statement on their homepage saying тАЬNo Sex TourismтАЭ, or somewhere on the website it says that all guests must register upon checking in (= no joiners). In these hotels, if you are travelling with your partner, thereтАЩs no problem since youтАЩll both be checking in together. But donтАЩt expect to be able to bring a new friend back to your room later on.

Forum's veteran
    Liked

Quote Originally Posted by vanek333
    Can someone tell us what this means as we are looking at hotels in Phnom Penh and most say this or have this worded on their web pages?
    If you're a couple or you have no plans to invite guests back to your room, then you'll be fine staying there.

If you're going to there and plan to pick up, whether it be genuine pick ups or prostitutes you're paying, then don't stay in these places. Plenty of hotels that do not have this policy.

Quote Originally Posted by bobsaigon
    In Phnom Penh it seems there are two categories of hotels. The gay friendly ones try to make it plain on their websites that joiners are accepted. Manor House, for example, just requires the boy to be at least 18 yrs old. It can be a different boy (or two) every night...

... The other category of hotel features a prominent statement on their homepage saying тАЬNo Sex TourismтАЭ, or...
    Gay friendly and joiner friendly are two different things... Don't get them mixed up.

A hotel can NOT allow joiners but still be gay friendly in terms of making same sex couples feel welcome and not abnormal. A hotel could also NOT be gay friendly, in terms of making same sex couples feel unwelcome/abnormal but still allow joiners, e.g. when single straight guys pick up chicks and take them back to their room.

I also read somewhere that one of the hotels displaying this "no sex tourism policy" is run by a gay guy/couple.

No need to obfuscate what I said above. Whether the hotel is run by straights or gays, if they say тАЬno joinersтАЭ, it means exactly that. The Utopia Phnom Penh hotel listing makes it quite clear for several of their entries whether joiners are allowed or not.

A couple going to Phnom Penh who have no need of additional company in their room really does not need to be concerned about any of this and can stay wherever they please.

Liked

If your hotel doesn't declare policy on joiners, just e-mail them and ask before booking.

Forum's veteran
    Liked

I should add that friends of mine mentioned the "no sex tourists" sign in a hotel they stayed in a while back and they had no problems with the place. They were a gay couple and a few singles (also gay) traveling in a group. I forget or didn't bother asking which hotel it was...

Pretty much every hotel in Phnom Penh is gay friendly. The ones with the "sex tourists not welcome" signs are just as gay friendly as the ones without.

Just as in Thailand, you are not going to be treated poorly because you're gay, except in very rare cases.

It's been a while since I viisted Phnom Penh but I can recommend the Foreign Correspondents Club... imperfect but comfortable enough boutique hotel, brilliant location on the riverfront, walking distance to a few gay bars and Heart of Darkness nightclub, highly recommend having breakfast in the open air bar over looking the river - try it out, even if you're not staying there. Oh and I had no problems inviting a couple of hook ups back to my room while staying there... friendly security guard was especially helpful helping one of my cute new friend secure his motorbike inside the hotel. :happy7:

Liked

Quote Originally Posted by Beachlover
    Pretty much every hotel in Phnom Penh is gay friendly. The ones with the "sex tourists not welcome" signs are just as gay friendly as the ones without.

Just as in Thailand, you are not going to be treated poorly because you're gay, except in very rare cases.

:
    This has been my experience also. I and my partner stayed in a very nice Chinese owned and ran Hotel just down from the Thai embassy and the staff treated us with complete courtesy, but had the no sex tourist sign in their lobby.

As I understand it, government policy in both Cambodia and Laos is that they don't want to follow Thailand's lead by becoming sex tourism destinations. Hence the notice in some hotels. "Don't bring your casual fucks here" might be a clearer message.