Gay Cambodia
Gay Vietnam
Gay World
Everything Else
FAQ & Help
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: How much to give mom and dad ?

How much to give mom and dad ?

Next year, me and my bf plan to get married....how much money is expected to give his mom and dad
    we will be getting married in temple in his village
    so any body that has done same or knows what is correct amount expected to give to his parents

Re: How much to give mom and dad ?

From talking to Thai friends about this very topic not so long ago THEIR frank and honest opinion was that in a gay relationship the simple answer could be "nothing" as they said whilst of course if offered if would be taken but it wouldn't be expected to be offered in the first place perhaps so don't feel obliged to pay out automatically, I believe it will more depend on what your BF thinks so ask him for his view perhaps ( which I'm assuming you have already done of course) - if so out of interest what's his view on the matter ?

Forum's veteran
    Liked

the thai answer as to so many of same-same Questions is: there is NO set tariff.
    Tipically-but then mostly for the Isan area, a girl who gets married FIRST time is expected to shine some of her newly gained whealth onto her parents by that ''sin-sot''. Also: a large part is to impress the neighbours and very often a lot of it is simply leaned out for the happy day-and then returned. you can also hire it for a day or 2. So thats for the females-and not for the males.
    And you do not need to be so shy about it-forget that strange western idea of privacy etc.-its all open to discuss/talk about-with dearest BF or his parents. And be then ready for skill 2 that most westerners (and even more those on this board) seem to completely lack;bargain on it. The ASKING price is never thought of to be the final price.

Thanks NIrish and Pong for your views

Five or six years ago, I had the misfortune to become involved with a 19 yr old ladyboy from Issan who had been dreaming of a wedding with a farang since he was 15. Dream never went beyond the wedding, so after the festivities, the relationship lacked any chance of survival.

If the whole business will really be as simple as your bf says right now, then maybe 10K Baht or gold to mom, plus the cost of the wedding dinner, etc., might be fine. OtherwiseтАжтАж

You need to discuss at length what the bf expects and what his family expects. All of the elements (and costs) related to a farang wedding might be in their minds. In my case, whether it was his cupidity or just the desire to impress the community, I donтАЩt know. All I know is that it cost a bundle.
    So, if itтАЩs going to be much more than тАЬgetting married in temple in his villageтАЭ, the expenditures that I can recall are:

тАв Early morning ceremony at the Wat, gifts and lunch for monks, guests
    тАв Wedding day lunch for friends and relatives
    тАв Rental of wedding attire from shop in Pattaya (he insisted on tux for me, dress(es) for him)
    тАв Wedding reception, cost of venue, food, drinks
    тАв Wedding photographer, videographer, makeup artist (for him)
    тАв DJ, sound equipment rental
    тАв Display of wedding gifts
    тАв Dowry
    тАв The wedding night custom in Issan, according to him, is that after the guests have left, the groom (in his case, the bride), stays up the rest of the night drinking with his friends. I couldnтАЩt handle that, so I left at midnight and he stayed till 3am. Thinking back, I can see that I should have left the party and just kept on going, to Udorn, and then to Suvarnabhumi for the flight home.

I do hope youтАЩll have better luck. :happy7:

Thanks Bobsaigon for all the info

Forum's veteran Manforallseasons's Avatar
    Liked

The idea of marriage means many different things to different people; as Thailand legally does not recognize same sex marriage it is only symbolic.
    "In the land of the blind the one eyed man is king"

Yes i know about it being symbolic and not being recognised in legal terms....but i see it as romantic....and me and my bf are very romantic ha ha

Liked

Don't do it. The marriage I mean.
    By all means be kind to mamma, after all she'll be the one preparing your cow pad moo whenever you visit. Same sex marriage is a total joke in Issan and has no standing in Thailand. Your boyfriend wants 'big face'; OK ...visit frequently in a big car (in your name), show the family the deeds of your condo (in your name), show them your bank account balance (in your name) and you'll have the unswerving admiration of all and sundry whenever you visit.
    Keep it all simple, innocent and romantic and leave a clear road OUT just in case.

Thaiguest's words are golden. Have them carved in stone and placed where you can view them every day.