http://www.mantra-pattaya.com/

At the Amari but in a seperate building on Beach Road corner to North Pattaya Road, no expense has been spared to make this a stunning experience. As you approach through discreet fountains, massive two story doors swing open and you are greeted by a lovely Thai lady who sounds as if she personally remembers your reservation. A moment is needed to absorb the bar decor, high ceilings, sumptuous sofas, over large swags of red tulle frame some areas like a maharaja's palace but overall dramatic simplicity. It was quite busy and I don't know of a nicer bar in the city to hang out.

Through a pair of magnificent door into the dining room. A massive wood fired oven and chimnney dominate and then you see six seperate kitchens in gleaming scarlet and stainless steel attended by immaculate chefs plus a smart stainless steel and glass wine cellar. We declined an exposed table in the middle of the room for a comfy banquette. The room is on two levels with downstairs dramatic and upstairs cosy. Decor is mostly scarlet and black with lots of interesting touches - certainly you know it's Asian. The hostess introduces your waiter for the evening who tells you about their "concept" which is sharing. The room was quite busy. I think I spotted Mimi - last yeasr Miss Tiffany Queen and a curious table of one farang with six youthful Thai ladies who seemed to hang on his every word. The lighting is very subtle and pleasing.

We enjoyed a couple of generous glasses of Chilean Chardonnay (Bt200glass 980 a bottle)) and we all got to taste the wine before it was poured. The menu is HUGE and divided into the National Cuisines of the kitchens around the room. Japanese, Chinese, Thai, Indian or Mediterranean featuring wood fired ovens, charcoal grill and sizzling stones. A tip would be to have a pen and pad available to remember what you want to order. The waiter has a radio device to order and bill and checks the order over carefully. The things happen very fast. The wine was there in seconds and seconds later the first dish. We had an international selection - various satay, duck spring rolls, barbecued meats, chicken tandori, nan bread, rice with vegetables, a dish of vegetables, fish fillets on mashed potatoes. It all came hot and fast, beautifully presented and tasted wonderful - very impressive as was the attentive service, like that of a 5* hotel - well trained, charming and anxious to please. Amuse bouche of spicy bread and water free.

Even the Gents bog is worth a visit with very subtle lighting onto blue and nightlight candles in red glasses. The wash basin is a mamoth granite fountain -like fixture in the center of the room.

Prices are surprisingly modest. They add on tax but service is at your discretion. We spent, in total, about Bt1700 a head but Bt700 of that was on booze and we ordered too much food.

I was impressed and it's been a while since that happened.

"Mantra is chic, smart and stylish, and that's how we like our patrons to dress. Gentlement, no shorts or sandals" quote.