Gay Vietnam
Gay World
Everything Else
FAQ & Help
Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Bid for an upgrade?

Liked

Bid for an upgrade?

Just had an email from Etihad "inviting" me to bid for an upgrade to Business. I flew their business last year (Dublin to Abu Dhabi using miles) and liked it, but can't imagine paying full price for it. So, has anyone been successful with something like this and how much would you bid? :dontknow:

Hitchhiking's more of a challenge on the road less travelled.

Espa??a some times - Pattaya rest of the time.
    Liked: 1

Re: Bid for an upgrade?

I just fly Eithad from Uae to Bkok and Bkok to Uae . I bid for both legs but only the return was succesful- i bid the lowest amount for both legs тВм290... worth every euro . Mind you was 6 and half hour flight if your flight longer maybe cost more but I would bid the lowest and hope for the best.
    Good luck.

I'd be interested to see the outcome of this promotion ? Are you actually intending to fly with them soon or was this a random offer that came in perhaps ? If the latter I would be inclined to bid them a very small amount as I'm guessing it more about keeping you as a customer than making a few quid extra on the economy ticket price.

I'm just sitting here looking at fares to Bkk ( or Bangkok for some of our grumpier members lol) and by a mixture of habit and laziness as I now know exactly where I'm going in the various airports etc I usually fly BA and rack up a few long haul miles, however on checking they are about 400 quid dearer than the cheapest other options and about 200 quid dearer than almost like for like options with other airlines, now usually as this point I convince myself "oh well at least you're racking up some miles for your next trip" but on trying to actually spend sopme for this trip I see they have just about ZERO flight options for BKK except a few days in September and on Christmas day !! So I'm sitting here thinking to hell with them and I'll try someone else for a change - so, anyone any suggestions from either the UK or Dublin to Bkk ( or just about any other SE Asian Country perhaps as I think I'll give somewhere else a try for a few weeks before hitting the usual flesh pits this time round.

Liked

I'm actually booked to fly with Etihad in 2 weeks arty

I've seen on Thaivisa that the going rate seems to be about тВм400 from LHR-BKK (airports, that is). I'm not sure it's worth that. Think I'd rather spend it on boys and booze.

NIrish Guy, both Etihad and Emirates now fly from Dublin (I've flown Etihad for a few years now and like them). If you don't mind a couple of hours in Abu Dhabi or Dubai, it can be a lot less than LHR - BKK direct. Once flew with Qatar from Manchester - similar deal.

Liked

I also like their C class. Got my ticket for 1680 Euro for january 2013 to KL from Frankfurt. There was only one day with the low price - normally 2480 Euro. Superservice and only short stay in AUH in good C Lounge and you have 40kg luggage free and in most cities free limo transfer even in Bangkok.
    Sunee Plaza > There is no better place to stay

Liked

wow, atri, how the other half live - that's almost my budget for the whole holiday. being a Frugal Freddie, I make it go a long way though. arty

Liked: 1

Well just for comparisons....I have taken United to Bkk on many a trip and now just on economy it is costing 1600 US out of Boston 2t hr trip. That is a far cry from the 1200 a short year or so ago and the 1000 not too far back. I am glad I can still try to book with MILES at about 65000 for economy. I sure cant afford any direct Business or First Class. As for the food that is served, it just is not appealing in the long run. Just need a sleep pill I guess to get by it all.

Liked

Quote Originally Posted by NIrish Guy
    I usually fly BA and rack up a few long haul miles, however on checking they are about 400 quid dearer than the cheapest other options and about 200 quid dearer than almost like for like options with other airlines, now usually as this point I convince myself "oh well at least you're racking up some miles for your next trip" but on trying to actually spend sopme for this trip I see they have just about ZERO flight options for BKK except a few days in September and on Christmas day !! So I'm sitting here thinking to hell with them and I'll try someone else for a change - so, anyone any suggestions from either the UK or Dublin to Bkk ( or just about any other SE Asian Country perhaps as I think I'll give somewhere else a try for a few weeks before hitting the usual flesh pits this time round.
    Well since you collect miles on BA, have you tried to search Finnair flights, it is their partner in OneWorld. They have a big route network to Asia via their hub in Helsinki.
    Also SAS (in Star Alliance) via Copenhagen is flying from both Dublin and several airports in the UK, to BKK.
    With both you will fly in the "right" direction, but for me the most important is how long the stopover is.
    Just some suggestions.

Thanks guys- some really good sugestions there, I'll certainly check them out.

Forum's veteran
    Liked

BA is hopeless in all classes when it come to using miles between LHR and BKK. Not only do they have just one flight a day, BKK is a stopover on the kangaroo route to/from Sydney. I have tried getting miles tickets on the day booking opens, but BA offers miles seats on only a very small number of these flights. Finnair should be a much better bet and the transit times at Helsinki can be as low as 40 minutes.