Gay Cambodia
Gay Vietnam
Gay World
Everything Else
FAQ & Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Farang rights in Thailand?

Farang rights in Thailand?

"When you get into this land, when you get off that plane тАУ you better know,┬аitтАЩs their way.┬аYour civil liberties, your human rights, as you know them, donтАЩt exist hereтАж You better educate yourself, before you get here. Understand that you donтАЩt have any civil rights. Whether youтАЩre American or (otherwise). If you understand and youтАЩre willing to accept thatтАж and you donтАЩt make a mistake, then fine".http://www.thaiprisonlife.com/news/you- ... ai-prison/

Liked

Re: Farang rights in Thailand?

Not only Thailand, all this kind of countries were corruption and poverty is leading.

Read the book. The damage has done from Warren Fellows , Forget you had a daughter , You never walk alone, books about the Thai Prison.

Generally everybody get the same treatment when you arrive the police cel or prison.

If you interested, visit the courthouse in Pattaya, Jomptien, (i think around 16:00) at the back of the building you have the two cages where the monkeys are waiting for gettting out after paid the bond or ready to get tranfer to the big monkeyhouse.

Yes also there are falangs in the cage, last times some arabs ,because they were stopped by police for another reason, but it was the big argument in a loud voice (wrong, never offend a thai police with loud voice) and so they were taken to cool down.

for years my Thai friend was caught and tested positive of illegal substance in his body, so overnight in overcrowded, overheated cages in the police build on pattaya beachroad, the next morning i was able to visit him and brought him some food and water.
    The laywer was waiting, so it cost me 20.000 bath to get him free on bail. But there was a formal mistake and so he slept one night outside pattaya, the next evening he was released, i nearly recognized him, his nice trouser was cut , his nice shirt was cut, his hair was cut, but i not felt sorry for him, he make the mistake.
    The only comment he gave to me was " good experience". after that he never got or touched illigal substances.

I am coming 20 years in Thailand , never ever had problems, avoid areas where problems get occur, stay away from drugs or so. Never be angry on police when they stop you with police control, the bath rules.
    I have always 100 bath together with my id , when i have to overhand my passport, always a 100 bath note is somewhere between the pages. It is up to him to take it.

donot forget we are foreigners, they treath foreigners and we treath sometimes the foreigners in our own country.

Do not forget , you are foreigner, guest, alien in Thailand, behave yourself, respect the law , certainly you wil have no problems.

If you not like the system, it is up to you to visit this country.

Liked

what was the guy in the linked report in jail for?
    Hitchhiking's more of a challenge on the road less travelled.

Liked: 1

This also reminds me of the story that just came out in the news about a drunk British guy who was sexually harrasing a chinese woman in the streets od Beijing. He got the beating of his life from Chinese passers by who were shouting all kind of racial obscenities while poundng him senseless. The video is on Youtube

Liked

The site you gave a link to is very interesting. I learned a lot while perusing it.
    Will Rogers said, "I never met a man I didn't like", but he never met Donald Trump.

Liked

My experience with the police in Thailand have been mostly pretty ok. In Bangkok when I popped into a police station to ask for directions to the train station they kindly gave me a lift there, but that was over twenty years ago and those days are not coming back.
    In Pattaya the fines I have paid (parking, wrong way driving, blah blah blah) have been small and the bribes even smaller. Only once did I get irritated when the policeman on duty was taking an interminable amount of time to hand me back my IDL that was on the desk in frot of him. I told him
    "I've paid the fine, I'm on holiday now PLEASE, just give me my licence back."
    Even his colleague told him to stop being so difficult. I don't speak Thai but he gave it back immediately.

Liked

My contact with the Thai police only consists of being fined when riding my rented motor-bike. Once for riding wrong way up a one-way street and the second time for not having an appropriate drivers licence (UK one is no good). The fine is small but you have to wait a long time at the Soi 9 police station to actually pay and get your bike back.
    I have howver talked to farangs who got into the monkey house following accidents when a Thai has been injured and negotiations for compensation follow.

Quote Originally Posted by TravellerDave
    My contact with the Thai police only consists of being fined when riding my rented motor-bike
    You know in all my trips to Thailand that never even occurred to me !! I've hired motorbikes many times and always just used my UK licence, I did actually go and get an international drivers licence for my last trip as I was renting a car and it was a requirement by the hire company, but for bikes it never even entered my head ! It appears I've had a few lucky escapes by the looks of it then !!!

Out of interest how much was the fine - and when you get your bike back do you simply get back on it and drive off again, with you still not having the correct licence I assume or do they insist you get the correct paperwork before they release it back to you - which of course would be quite ironic if they did considering what they just fined you for in the first place but being Thailand nothing would surprise me !

Liked

The BIB will always go for the biggest fish with the biggest wallet, using or stepping over whoever comes their way until the get to a bigger & better arrest up the line, of course if this person has cars, house, bars, guest house etc, then in some cases thats a bonus for the bib to be had,

simple really; greed breeds greed! especially in a country where you just being a westerner means you got megga bucks, even if you havent!
    i love you, i miss you.............. i lie you

Liked

When they got me over the drivers licence I was riding my bike back to Pattaya from Jomtien. Near the top of the hill, they were pulling in a lot of riders. The policeman snatched my keys from the bike and said "show Licence" I pulled out my UK plastc licence, but he said "No Good" and directed me over to another who was dealing with fines. The ticket was written out and I was asked for 600 baht which I just paid and was handed back my keys to the bike. I was relieved not to have to go to Soi 9 and wait a long time to pay. I have no idea why my UK licence was "No Good"
    When I was fined for the one-way offence about 3 years ago I was waiting to pay for about 2 hours at Soi 9 because they were doing a purge on helmets and were catching and fining loads of Thais.