Gay Vietnam
Gay World
Everything Else
FAQ & Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Suriwongse Hotel

Liked

Suriwongse Hotel

Can anyone tell me about the Suriwongse Hotel?
    I will be in BKK in mid August and I am looking for a hotel in the Silom area for around 1200 baht a night.

I usually stay at the Malaysia Hotel but have been disappointed the last couple of times I stated there. The coffee shop used to be loads of fun with all the money boys running around but I think management has chased them away.

Anyway, thoughts or recommendations would be appreciated. I am travelling with friends and their budget is 1200 a night. I understand that there are nicer hotels nearby and rooms can be had for a mere 300-400 baht a night more....etc..etc..

My friends budgets are 1200 a night max.

Opinions are like assholes, everyone has one, and they all stink.

Liked

Re: Suriwongse Hotel

Kittyboy, I guess you are referring to the hotel down the soi other side of the road from Soi twilight. If I am correct, then I went there once for short time with a bar boy. It was pretty disgusting. Maybe they have done some renovations - dont know - but unless they have, stay away. It was filthy.
    I'm really surprised you can't find anything reasonable for 1200 baht. I'll be back in BKK in a couple of days time and if you want me to, I will have a quick look for you in the Silom area, where I stay.

Liked

Yes that is the hotel. I like the location. How long ago did you stay there? Just curious...the hotel website pictures has the place looking decent but good lighting and photoshop can work wonders. Look around and give us a report back. I am looking on some of the hotel booking websites but it is a pain in the ass. I saw one hotel advertised for about 2,000 baht but with discount 1500. The hotel website will book the same room for 1400, so my conclusion is using a hotel booking website is not going to save much or any money...oh well.
    Opinions are like assholes, everyone has one, and they all stink.

Liked

You could look at the Sathorn Inn. I haven't stayed there myself, but Bao Bao's blog has a reasonable review of it.

http://khunbaobao.blogspot.co.uk/2011/0 ... n-inn.html

http://sathorninn.com/

I can help with this -

I have stayed at the Suriwongse hotel on many occasions - from before it was renovated.

I have only ever booked into the suites on the top floor

Prior to the renovations it was very basic and run down - basically a lot of short-time trade - up to around 2005.
    The coffee-shop was known as a place to pick up freelancers.
    The restaurant was pretty good.
    The reception staff and 24hr Security guard were all pleasant.
    And very, very handy for Twilight and Screw Boy in Patpong

The quirkiest thing about the Suriwongse was (and probably still is) they have a set of toilets on the reception floor but the Security Guard keeps the toilet roll behind his desk!!! You have to ask for it!!

Since the renovations the 24hr coffee shop no longer has freelancers but is a n extremely pleasant place to have a few drinks before going out or on returning , the rooms are better decorated. The restaurant was still pretty good with a reasonable wine selection, and the toilet roll remained under supervision!

BUT - the reason I stopped staying was that the last time (around 4 yrs ago) the suite they gave me was cockroach infested! And I'm talking BIG cockroaches - as soon as the bellboy opened the room and turned the light on there were 4 or 5 huge cockroaches scuttling about (including on the bed)
    I was horrified, the bellboy seemed quite bewildered that anybody should be scared of cockroaches and said "No problem - you go drink in bar and we clean room". Since I had stayed there many times, I gave them the opportunity to do so.

However, after a couple of drinks i was taken back to the room and again I saw 1 or 2 large cockroaches right away.

At that point I refused to take the room (from memory just under 2000B) and they gave me a cheaper room on a lower floor - which was (significantly I think) CARPET and cockroach free. I had no further problems of any kind.

But it did put me off staying there ever again - maybe that was unfair :dontknow: but it was how I felt. Now, a few years on I might give it a try again (for old time's sake) but I would take an uncarpeted room.

The next time I went to BKK I stayed at the Strand Inn in Patpong (I don't know if it is still there) It was expensive but excellent - I had a roof bungalow (infact my party took all 3 roof bungalows) - with jacuzzi baths etc.

If you are familiar with the area - walk past the door of Screw Boy and there is the Pavilion Place hotel - it is reasonable priced and clean.
    Also, walk a little further and theres a group of small covered bars open to the street - one is called HORSESHOES. The lady who runs it - LEK (what else!) - is very friendly and helpful - buy a couple of beers and she will tell you (or even show you if she has other staff in) good, clean, reasonable places to stay.

Hope that helps.

:occasion9:

Liked

I' ve only stayed in bkk once before at Om Yim..i liked it so staying there again when i go back in may

Liked

I have stayed at the Suriwong a few times. Before it was partially renovated a few years ago it was very basic and at times dirty. A few years ago they did some renovation work; at least the rooms on the 4th floor and the coffee shop were done.
    A room on the 4th floor is about 1,600 THB, but comes w/o windows. The bathroom is quite big (bath tub) and is separated from the bed room by a semi-transparent glass front.
    There still might be the occassional cockroach.
    The location is superb, but the rooms are not (for their price).
    Pinnacle Lumpinee is better value IMHO. However, it is not walking distance to Soi Twilight. You can take the subway to Saladaend (one station) or take a taxi for approx. 40 to 50 THB.

Liked

I can beat cockroaches. I used to enjoy the Nana Hotel - I still swear that its beds were among the most comfortable that I've ever slept in - until I found myself walking down a corridor on an upper floor following an enormous rat that was bigger than any other I've ever seen. And the rat wasn't just scuttling along, but sauntering boldly as if he owned the place!
    "The fruits of peace and tranquility... are the greatest goods... while those of its opposite, strife, are unbearable evils. Hence we ought to wish for peace, to seek it if we do not already have it, to conserve it once it is attained, and to repel with all our strength the strife which is opposed to it. To this end individual[s]... and in even greater degree groups and communities are obliged to help one another... from the bond or law of human society." [Marsilio dei Mainardini (c.1275-1342), Defensor Pacis]

Liked

I've slept with a few rats in my time, but never in a Thai hotel :occasion9:
    Hitchhiking's more of a challenge on the road less travelled.