Gay Cambodia
Gay Vietnam
Gay World
Everything Else
FAQ & Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: THAI ends Los Angeles Flight

THAI ends Los Angeles Flight

Thai Airways International will end its non stop Bangkok - Los Angeles flight on 1st May.
    Thai blamed the high price of oil for the cancellation of the service; the airline's longest non stop flight.
    (Bangkok Post)

A friend who is a Thai steward tells me that he is not disappointed since in his opinion American passengers are the worst he has ever met.
    Fat, pushy, rude, demanding, mean, greedy and loud.
    :snorting: "Gimme this, gimme that, I want, I want, I want." :snorting:
    Never a please or thank you.

Re: THAI ends Los Angeles Flight

Wow funny how people perceive others eh, I seem to recall that it was only a few weeks ago a some on here were sayingalmost EXACTLY the above about Russians ( rightly or wrongly but we'll not get into that again :-)

I'm sure generally none of us would have said those things about our American friends ( well not to their faces anyway perhaps :-) - isn't it just funny how what we believe to perhaps be acceptable behaviour, just perhaps because our own upbringing etc, can and is perhaps in fact viewed SO differently by other people from other cultures and races, quite interesting I thought.

Liked

Quote Originally Posted by Roger
    "Gimme this, gimme that, I want, I want, I want."
    Thai BF or American, you mean?

Liked

There's good and bad people for every nationality.... I have met (the vast majority) very pleasant and polite Americans and a few I wouldn't want to meet again. Being British, and seeing some of the antics of my fellow Brits on holiday (especially in Southern Europe) makes me very thankful that the majority of people dont make "sweeping" judgements

Liked

The rudest people I have encountered on airlines are Asians mostly old Japanese ladies pushing to the head of the line. The other rude ones are the old crone flight attendants on Delta Airlines. I recall male flight attendants on Thai Air as not very pleasant.

Forum's veteran
    Liked

it is a public secret in the airline-''industry'' that on many of those national carriers the posts for steward/ess/es etc are for the rich kids of rich parents. These are not used at all to serve people-but rather to be served themselves by their many slaves/servants. And it may be a big disppointment for them to discover that many of the pax are from less hi-so as they think of themselves to be and yet they still are expected to serve them well.
    Had a flight back to EUR a few days ago on OMANair (for me the 1st-but have flown about any other Gulfie airline by now) and they have mainly hai attendants- made it inded a very nice flight, even though leg 1 was full up. Speak Thai to them and they run even harder.

Liked

Well, they'll still be flying to the US. It just won't be a non-stop as they are finally ditching the A345s. It's just going to be a connecting service via ICN.

Liked

Quote Originally Posted by fedssocr
    Well, they'll still be flying to the US. It just won't be a non-stop as they are finally ditching the A345s. It's just going to be a connecting service via ICN.
    Horrible timing though, as far as the schedule goes. There are much better 1-stops than the Thai service through ICN.

Liked

Quote Originally Posted by pong
    it is a public secret in the airline-''industry'' that on many of those national carriers the posts for steward/ess/es etc are for the rich kids of rich parents. These are not used at all to serve people-but rather to be served themselves by their many slaves/servants. And it may be a big disppointment for them to discover that many of the pax are from less hi-so as they think of themselves to be and yet they still are expected to serve them well.
    Had a flight back to EUR a few days ago on OMANair (for me the 1st-but have flown about any other Gulfie airline by now) and they have mainly hai attendants- made it inded a very nice flight, even though leg 1 was full up. Speak Thai to them and they run even harder.
    Very enlightening, Pong; I could not have said it better.

Liked

Quote Originally Posted by Roger
    Thai blamed the high price of oil for the cancellation of the service; the airline's longest non stop flight. (Bangkok Post)
    That doesn't make much sense, blaming the price of oil. All airlines pay higher for oil than in the past. If there is a need for this connection, people will fly indirect, which will be longer, consume more oil, and be more expensive! Thai airways just have to increase the prices.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Airbus_A340 (the airplane Thai uses for this connection) says:

The A340 is used on long-haul, trans-oceanic routes due to its immunity from ETOPS; however, with reliability in engines improving, airlines are progressively phasing out the type in favour of more economical twinjets such as the Boeing 777.
    But still, direct connection is shorter and saves airport fees, so it should be cheaper than with a stop.