Gay Vietnam
Gay World
Everything Else
FAQ & Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Just a Phone

Liked: 1

Just a Phone

I will be arriving soon and will need to buy a simple phone while I am in Bkk.I will only call in Thailand and back home to USA and once to China. So very basic is all I need.Staying in the Silom area, is there a second hand reliable place or New phone place that will suit my need?
    Thanks....Bill :notworthy:

Re: Just a Phone

Quote Originally Posted by billy2bs
    will be arriving soon and will need to buy a simple phone while I am in Bkk
    Yes i have the same for my Thailand visits. I bought a Samsung slim phone new for about Bt800. If i lose it, it's not a disaster, also it is unlikely to be stolen as it is not worth a professional theifs time as it is worthless and that's really the main reason i just use a cheap phone in Thailand. There used to be a few mobile phone stalls/shops in soi Jipoon nearest soi (stretching from Suriwong rd>silom rd) to Rama 4. but on my last visit couldn't see any dealing in phones. I bought my top up card from a small mobile shop concession that many of the boys use next to Family Mart right beside the Soi Twilight entrance on Suriwong Rd, cheap new and used phones there for sure.

Newalaan, thanks for that info. Sounds just like what I am looking for.
    Bill :wav:

Liked

I would go to MBK. Easy from Silom area, just take the Skytrain. There are so many phoneshops, with all types of new and secondhand phones, that I am wondering how they can all survive.

Forum's veteran
    Liked

NEW simple handfones can be had from 600 THb nowadays-some even have a radio in them.. Do not muddle with 2nd hd-only the expensive types get 2nd hand value-but you wont need those xyberries as you said.
    Foneshops are as many as 7-11s, but yes, for the very widest choice MBK- a whole floor with just fones and all that.

Yeah, I have also fancied getting a very cheap phone for just Bt1000 and something that you bring in and out even at those places you are not too comfortable with.

I like your idea of not being worthwhile for a professional thief but maybe those who are trying their luck with this would already fancy it. It still pays to be very vigilant and mindful of your stuff when outside.

For going round bars etc I have an ancient Nokia 3210 from about 10-15yrs ago which no Bar Boy would be seen dead with.

Far from being tempted to steal it, I have inadvertantly left it lying in bars only to have staff chasing after me, desperate to give it back!

arty

Forum's veteran
    Liked

Ha Ha! Mine is a Motorola flip phone and the same goes for mine! hey don't want it!

Forum's veteran

Through e-bay I have just replaced my "holiday phone".

It's a Nokia X1... twin sim = calls and text only my GB and Thai cards.

No bells or whistles just a simple mobile that cuts out the need to carry two phones.

Quote Originally Posted by kcris
    I like your idea of not being worthwhile for a professional thief but maybe those who are trying their luck with this would already fancy it. It still pays to be very vigilant and mindful of your stuff when outside.
    Totally agree about being mindful, because the main reason for having an old phone nobody in Thailand would really want, is because of the value of the SIM card inside, i really couldn't be that bothered about the phone itself, its the hassle of losing a heap of contact info on the SIM card, so yes while not worrying about the cost of the phone replacement i am very vigilant regarding even this cheap phone because of the SIM card, the unattractiveness of the phone just raises the chances of it not being stolen for it's value. My last phone i had owned since my first visit 12 years ago and only gave up the ghost Songkran 2 years ago, even with taking alot of precautions! So for 10 years my cheap Nokia worked perfectly, it was more reliable than many of the 'hiso/for show' phones alot of the boys I knew owned.