Gay Vietnam
Gay World
Everything Else
FAQ & Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Jomtien Complex

Liked: 1

Jomtien Complex

Last night was feeling like a low key night out. Took a couple guys I know out for a few drinks to Jomtien Complex. Seems the place has added a few bars recently( Or maybe I ain't looked that much before lol) Had a few beers in Festival Bar next to Dick's Cafe. Nice choice of drink and some decent guys on offer. Drinks around 70 bht. Moved on to another bar around the corner called
    X Boys if I remember correctly. A few decent guys in there also. 2/3 from Lao. Gannymede bar was pretty full of customers as was Question Mark or is it two faces?? Had some great food at
    the East West Tapas Restaurant which I believe was the Old Pagoda place. Great service and moderate prices. Very busy place last night with a good atmosphere. Some attractive waiters too
    as I got a phone number or two. Seems like Jomtien Complex would be a good alternative to the likes Sunee if your get bored of going to the same place night after night :bounce:

Liked

Re: Jomtien Complex

Totally agree,I have become a fan of Jomtien complex,seems to have everything going for it at the moment..

Liked

Speaking of Jomtien Complex. I always stay there when in Pattaya.
    And I agree, it is getting better and better.

Out of curiosity, I'd like to know the origin of the complex, was it built as a whole, with a gay intent ?
    And why is that building looking like a devastated bombed site in the middle ? Never been achieved ?
    A few shops try to make a living in the ground floor, it looks like a new boy bar should open soon, from the work I see, ...

I am sure a few old hands know !

Forum's veteran
    Liked

I am not 100% sure but I think the probem over there was an original renovation of the area and then the road construction got in the way for years and devastated the minal income the area was getting. Then much of the renovation stopped as there was almost virtually no income. Now that the road work is almost 100% finished there will certainly be a revitalization of that are again.

Liked

The "bombed-out building" was to be the parking garage with a shopping mall on the 2nd floor. The planned mall (and much of the rest of the complex) was a victim of the 1997 financial crisis.

For a long time any business that provided food/bev/entertainment was offered a lease at very attractive rates (though go-go bars were not / are not allowed). This seemingly-good idea caused a lot of bars to open which really weren't well-funded or operated, and one by one they failed.

Several years ago work was begun to modify the ground level and next floor, reportedly for a supermarket. The escalator was removed and a corner chunk of the building was demolished. That effort came to a sudden stop, the building looks worse than ever, and hopes were dashed.

Now the excellent Ganymede operations have brought a lot of new patrons to Jomtien Complex, and a lot of hope for the future. The area gets better all the time, and it helps that the bar closing time is now in alignment with the South Pattaya bars at 1am.

Liked

Quote Originally Posted by lukylok
    Out of curiosity, I'd like to know the origin of the complex, was it built as a whole, with a gay intent ?
    It seemed to have been built with no intent at all when I used to walk through its deserted streets on the way to the beach in the 1990s. It was like a ghost town for years. It only started to be occupied in the last ten years or so and just evolved as a predominantly gay area - I doubt very much whether there was any plan to it.
    [i]There is a boy across the river with a bottom like a peach,
    But alas I cannot swim.
    [/i]
    - From an early-19th-century Pashtun marching song

Liked

Quote Originally Posted by lexusgs
    . Moved on to another bar around the corner called
    X Boys if I remember correctly. A few decent guys in there also. 2/3 from Lao.
    the East West Tapas Restaurant which I believe was the Old Pagoda place. Great service and moderate prices. Very busy place last night with a good atmosphere. Some attractive waiters too
    :
    Actually it is X Men in Jomtien not to be confused with X Boys in Boyztown area. And yes, Tapas is a good restaurant not to be missed. Great service and waiters and prices and good food.

Forum's veteran

The best addition, made several years ago was The Venue.

Darrel and Ray committed to the area and IMHO caused others to follow.
    It's a shame that Monty left, he adds to any area's draw.

Liked

Just returned from 16 glorious days in Thailand, a majority of them spent at The Ganymede in Jomtiem Complex. I have to say
    I guess I am one of those peculiar farangs that doesn't frequent beer bars, show bars and boy bars. With that said I was
    totally entertained by the Complex, beach and a few choice restaurants in the area like Deli-zza a short walk down the beach.
    Ganymede is a treasure. The room prices are very reasonable for what you get and with free entrance to the Sauna on the first floor for
    all room guests its almost a steal. Not to mention the new cafe and bar area and free wifi anywhere on the property and in your room.
    Probably the best wifi I have found in Thailand so far. Ward has done a great job in turning the place around and I will stay no other place
    in my future visits.

There is now an "atmosphere" you can actually feel when you enter the area. For me there is no need for Sunnee Plaza or Boystown.
    The Baht goes very far in this complex.

just my 2 cents.

Forum's veteran

All the Ganymede is lacking for us old decrepit cripples is a lift !