List of forums
Gay Thailand
Gay Cambodia
Gay Vietnam
Gay World
Everything Else
FAQ & Help
Page 1 of 11 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: retire in thailand .. some say no ..

retire in thailand .. some say no ..

i started to post this on another thread but after taking so long typing it i decided it needed a thread of its own .. sorry if its been done before..
    this.. i like thailand but i dont think i could live there full time is a bit of a strange one for me ... i liken it to the ... you love playing golf but once you retire theres no way you could play it all the time argument .. i dont play golf bty :crybaby:
    taking the golf anology ... it means tho you enjoy it if you did it all the time it means you would no longer enjoy it ... that must be why golfers dont play golf when they go on holiday !!
    in the same way i guess if you are a sex tourist in pattaya after 3 or 4 weeks of sex you go back home and dont have sex again because you are tired of it ( or as the case here maybe you cant get it up again for another year ) thats some members on the board not me .. as im not a sex tourist ... ok time to stop digging ..
    back to the golf .. and living permantly in thailand .. i personally think its total bullshit ... how many people would rather work in an office or a factory than play golf if their passion in life is golf ??
    why wouldnt you want to live full time in thailand ..if you love to holiday here as one member has stated hes been 60+ times in 18 years ... im sure some would say they don think they could handle it full time .. why not .. when you get to retire its not like you'd be living like you where on holiday 24/7 ...some say they would like to live in a place they have never visited before ..but not sure where .. how could anyone say that ? would you rather live somewhere you had never been before ?? are you sure you'd love living there .. what would be your reason to live full time in a place you had never been too?? rubbish ...
    why do some people jump off balconys in pattaya.. because they have run out of money ... because they would rather be dead in paradise than alive in their home country .. except the arabs they will never find 20 odd virgins in the paradise called pattaya ..
    so id say dont write off thailand as a place to retire to.. be aware when you retire you will be 50+ 60+ so its not like you are 20 odd and still wanting to rule the world .. you will be looking to kick back and take it easy .. and thats one of the things its very easy to do in thailand ..
    so i ask why would you choose to or choose not to live in thailand ??
    p.s sorry if its a bit rambling .. ive had a wee drink .
    yikes ive just re-read that .. i mean wee in the scottish sense im not into yellow snow :happy7:

Forum's veteran
    Liked

Re: retire in thailand .. some say no ..

yes-it is all right you say. The best warning is: do NOT overhastily jump into it. Maybe even just try out without burning all ships back home. I for myself have found that combining the 2-and omitting the bad part of the Thai year-with the rains, sticky heat etc, is the best. Try out for a full year-and see how utter boring, stifling hot and lazy the low seasons can be. How utter boring Pattaya is daytime after the initial 2 weeks. That after a while you have seen all the boys. etc.
    On gaybuttonthai there is ample more info on this and about the same discussion that maybe will be repaated here then.

Liked

20 years ago it was my definite plan to retire in Pattaya and I bought my first condo with that in mind. A larger studio than I had seen when shoppind around , but I soon found I disliked living,eating and entertaining
    [other than Thai boys] in my bedroom. 10 years later I reached nominal retiring age, and having decided I could not live in a studio I bought the adjoining and joined them into a one bedroom condo. I had a car space if I wanted to buy a car, but still much more than 3 weeks boring.

At home I live almost in the heart of the city,public transport runs past the front door, I am surrounded by very large parks and whilst we sometimes have 4 seasons in one day, I am very comfortable.

I have always been extremely interested in sport and we have 4 different professional football codes all with local teams , basketball and international cricket at all 3 levels, all regularly played within walking distance from my home.
    The Australian Tennis Open, international athletics and of course the Melbourne Cup. Even if I dont attend any or all of those , the papers and TV are full of whats happening and I love it.

The theatre is another passion and we have world class ballet and opera companies, performing several seasons each year plus the latest shows from Broadway and the West End. Our local shows lose nothing in comparison with the West End and Broadway.

I dont cook, eat out every night and the range of fine dining places is as good as any city in the world.

The alternative of downsizing my lifestyle to live in Pattaya or else where in Thailand does not appeal I prefer to visit often because I can, whilst still enjoying the challenges and stimulations of living in a big city My biggest nightmare is to live in Pattaya, going to same bars in Sunee each night, sitting in the same deckchair at Dongtan, feeling excited if I can get 10 baht off a drink or an off boy for less than the going or accepted rate.

At 75 in good health I am still in need of a challenge in life and am not prepared to dumbdown my standard of living.
    Wombat : an Australian marsupial that eats,roots and leaves

wombat thanks for the reply .. you really need to reread what you have written and ask youself what a contradiction it all is ... everything you have said you can do in your home town you can also do in pattaya !!!
    theres plenty of everything you have discribed you do in oz you can do in pattaya .. do you bother doing anything other than going to the beach or trying to get a cheap off when in thailand .. or is it a case of im on holiday i cant be arsed to do anything ??
    other than the 4 seasons in one day ..
    there are plenty of different restaurants and bars in pattaya so im sure you cant visit them all in 3 weeks .. more than enough sports .. and even if you dont go to them im sure you could keep upto date on satalite ..
    far from needing a challenge it seems to me you are very staid and happy to live a life you are used to .. nothing different ..
    or do you go to a different bar ... resturant .. show .. every night of your life when at home ??
    do you go to the beach there ?? if so do you sit at a different section everyday ??
    do you entertain every night when your in oz ?? with different boys every night ..
    this is why i posted my post ... im very intrested to find out opions and where they come from ..
    ta

Liked

Quote Originally Posted by brithai
    wombat thanks for the reply .. you really need to reread what you have written and ask youself what a contradiction it all is ... everything you have said you can do in your home town you can also do in pattaya !!!
    theres plenty of everything you have discribed you do in oz you can do in pattaya .. do you bother doing anything other than going to the beach or trying to get a cheap off when in thailand .. or is it a case of im on holiday i cant be arsed to do anything ??
    Taking just one part ,live theatre, some on here would say you have Venue, Copa, Wildwest boys what more do you need. Perhaps a drag night at Bondi?
    Mike from la Cage offered me a place in a minibus trip to Bangkok to see a symphony concert once a month. It did not appeal

A month of go go bars and drag shows is more than ample for me and like my friends in retirement, who planned to play golf every day, it loses the challenge and my interest very quickly.

I think Pattaya is good for a holiday but more than 3/4 weeks at a time not interesting.
    Wombat : an Australian marsupial that eats,roots and leaves

The answer is easy as thinking where you want to die and how much will it cost you to die there I dont think I want to give up everything at home to die in Thailand what if I get altzhymas I feel sure well have euthenasia laws in Australia soon but I dont think Thailand will allow that sort of thing.

Liked: 1

Quote Originally Posted by BrisbaneGuy
    The answer is easy as thinking where you want to die and how much will it cost you to die there I dont think I want to give up everything at home to die in Thailand what if I get altzhymas I feel sure well have euthenasia laws in Australia soon but I dont think Thailand will allow that sort of thing.
    You don't need euthenasia laws in Thailand. When you have had enough of life in Thailand its so easy to get yoursef murdered. Just Piss off a Thai.

I once had a dream of retiring in Thailand until I slipped deeper from the surface of dreams into reality and took off my rose tinted glasses. Dealing with a nation of people who can't loose face, have to have it all their way and corruption which rears it's ugly head at every opportunity is too much to deal with on a full time basis.
    Don't try to hold in farts - they travel up your spine and into your brain and that is where shitty ideas come from.

Liked

I also think there is an ideal age to emigrate to another country, and that is quite some time before we get our pension. And not only to Thailand but everywhere. How many Europeans, getting their pension, leave for Spain, South of France, Italy or Morocco, only to come back a couple of years later, never having really settled down.
    It is important to lead an active life in the new country to really settle down and create real local relations.

And now I am going to ruffle a few feathers : how many expats do you meet in Pattaya who have become bitter, despising anything tha├п, TIT ! , but unable to go back home. Or lost themselves in booze or "all you can eat buffet".

It might be interesting to run a parallel between the ratio of success story in farang/tha├п relationship and the really happy and fulfilled expats, having moved in the last part of their lives ?

Liked

As the poster referred to above (60 or so visits since 1993), I am encouraged to see that I am not, after all, alone in thinking that retiring to Thailand would be, in many respects, a horribly depressing prospect.

Thailand is wonderful at providing all the things one looks for in an enjoyable holiday, but fails to offer many facilities or to accept ways of looking at and living one's life that many from Western countries will consider basic requirements.

It's a lovely place to stay in for three weeks at a time. But I strongly suspect it would be impossibly frustrating and ultimately too mind numbing for permanent residence.
    "The fruits of peace and tranquility... are the greatest goods... while those of its opposite, strife, are unbearable evils. Hence we ought to wish for peace, to seek it if we do not already have it, to conserve it once it is attained, and to repel with all our strength the strife which is opposed to it. To this end individual[s]... and in even greater degree groups and communities are obliged to help one another... from the bond or law of human society." [Marsilio dei Mainardini (c.1275-1342), Defensor Pacis]

Liked: 1

I'm in my sixth year of living here in Pattaya as a retired expat. I love it. I'm a gay retiree, the life here can't be beat. My hobbies are studying Thai, jogging, and enjoying the Gay life--keeps me occupied.