Gay Thailand
Gay Cambodia
Gay Vietnam
Gay World
Everything Else
FAQ & Help

Thread: Aussie Teen Faces Six Years Imprisonment in Bali

Aussie Teen Faces Six Years Imprisonment in Bali

I ran across this bit of news, somehow. as I was doing a little research on clean water here on a beautiful sunny Saturday morning in 'central' Bangkok.
    The news reminded of a lot of discussion way back on Aussie persons jailed in Indonesia for drugs.

A 14 year old boy from Morisset Park, near Newcastle, is in trouble. He was caught buying 3.6 grams of marijuana. Incarcerated since Oct. 4, the teenager was narrowly avoided a stint in the notorious Kerobokan prison. He has been put under a lot of stress having been paraded in front of media on numerous occasions. His trial in another week will be closed. The teen's most serious charge(3,6 g possession) carries a maximum penalty of 12 years in prison, which can be halved for juveniles.

Uhh, come on?

stuff.co.nz/world/asia/5858396/Bali-boys-trial-fast-tracked

The Australian teenager allegedly caught with marijuana in Bali will face trial next week as Indonesian authorities fast-track his case and vow to make his court appearance as stress-free as possible.

A judge, Amser Simanjuntak, was appointed to handle the case after prosecutors formally registered the case with Denpasar district court yesterday.

''The trial will be closed, closed to public. Not just the media,'' he said. ''All juvenile trials are closed to the media. It's for the child's welfare. It's part of the child protection law.''

The 14-year-old, from Morisset Park, near Newcastle, has been in custody for more than three weeks and, according to his lawyers, was upset at being paraded in front of the media on Saturday wearing a balaclava and sunglasses.

On Tuesday he was forced to run the gauntlet of a large media pack on two occasions as he met prosecutors.

As well as outsiders being barred from the hearing, it will be heard by only one judge, rather than a panel. Those in the court will not don legal robes to cut the intimidation factor.

The boy is being held in an immigration facility.

Prosecutors have filed three drugs charges against the teen with the most serious carrying a maximum penalty of 12 years in prison, which can be halved for juveniles.

Judge, Amser Simanjuntak, said it would take at least three days to complete the necessary administration work.

"It's (the trial) certain next week," he said.

"But it will take minimum three days administration to summon the defendant."

Lawyers for the 14-year-old, who is accused of buying a small amount of marijuana, remain hopeful the court will show the teenager leniency due to his age and history of drug use, allowing him to avoid a custodial sentence.

The trial is likely to take a number of weeks, despite ongoing efforts by authorities to expedite the matter through the court.

"The first hearing would be (reading of the) indictment, then defence response followed by examination of the defendant," chief prosecutor I Gusti Gede Putu Atmaja said after filing the indictment.

"Hopefully all could be quick. After that, then sentence request and then sentencing."

Prosecutors, lawyers and even the judge will be without their robes and instead wear batik - traditional Indonesian attire - to make the court process less intimidating for the boy.

"We're going to wear batik to make it look not frightening to the child," Mr Atmaja said.

Mr Atmaja will lead the prosecution, but will be accompanied by a female colleague, Srigati, who has experience in children's cases.

It is likely the case will be presided over by one judge, instead of a panel of three as is usually the case in adult matters in Indonesia.

"Usually for minor cases, it's a single judge, but it's up to the head of District Court," Denpasar District Court clerk Gede Ketut Rantam said.

The teenager, from Morisset Park near Newcastle in NSW, has been in custody since his arrest on October 4 when he was allegedly caught with 3.6 grams of marijuana.

He is expected to remain at an immigration facility in Jimbaran, which is about an hour's drive from Denpasar, during the trial.

The Year 9 student was moved to the facility on Saturday following intervention from senior officials in Jakarta, including Indonesia's Minister for Law and Human Rights Amir Syamsuddin and National Police chief Timur Pradopo.

The intervention from the two senior officials, which meant the teenager was able to avoid a stint in the notorious Kerobokan prison, was welcomed by the Australian government.

-Sydney Morning Herald and AAP

Re: Aussie Teen Faces Six Years Imprisonment in Bali

No mention at all of the parents!

I dont know why Aussies still go to Bali they lock up and shoot Aussies with drugs but when it comes to their own terrorists who murder hundreds of Aussies they just lock them away for a short time or give them a slap on the wrist.

Forum's veteran
    Liked

Yeah, either he made a dumb decision (can't blame him due to age) or his parents are morons for not explaining the gravity of drugs in Asia.

The kid's gotten a nice, healthy shock to the system. A few weeks of stress and uncertainty will be a good story to tell and hopefully a learning experience for all.

I just read the Judge and Prosecutors are being all cuddly with him now.

LOL This bit cracked me up...

Indonesian authorities have set up a special court room for the teenager, complete with curtains adorned with characters from the cartoon SpongeBob SquarePants, to prevent the media from photographing proceedings and to make the boy feel comfortable.

From: http://www.smh.com.au/world/were-one-fa ... 1mt7f.html
    That's hilarious. :rolling:

Quote Originally Posted by BrisbaneGuy
    I dont know why Aussies still go to Bali they lock up and shoot Aussies with drugs but when it comes to their own terrorists who murder hundreds of Aussies they just lock them away for a short time or give them a slap on the wrist.
    They executed a number of terrorists who were involved in the Bali bombings a little while ago.

They're also doing us a favour each time they lock up or shoot dead (they've yet to do this and I do prefer locking up) an Aussie who's dumb enough to do drugs there... it raises the collective intelligence of our nation. Win-win.

Quote Originally Posted by Beachlover
    They're also doing us a favour each time they lock up or shoot dead (they've yet to do this and I do prefer locking up) an Aussie who's dumb enough to do drugs there... it raises the collective intelligence of our nation. Win-win.
    You really are a nasty piece of work there was a story in the paper the other day that almost everyone in Sydney is a cocaine user are you going to shoot all of them and their all dumb are they? http://www.smh.com.au/nsw/score-chop-sn ... 1mhpt.html

Liked

Quote Originally Posted by BrisbaneGuy
    Quote Originally Posted by Beachlover
    You really are a nasty piece of work there was a story in the paper the other day that almost everyone in Sydney is a cocaine user are you going to shoot all of them and their all dumb are they? http://www.smh.com.au/nsw/score-chop-sn ... 1mhpt.html
    Indeed and this kid just had a bit of pot. Who in the world hasn't smoked a bit of pot now and then?? And he's a kid he may not have realized how dangerous it was to do this in Bali.

Forum's veteran
    Liked

Firstly... We're talking about doing drugs in Asia, not Australia. If you do drugs in Asia, where the penalties are far higher, you're a moron. It's an incredibly stupid risk to take.

Secondly... I did say the kid can't necessarily be blamed due to his age. If his parents didn't warn him how dangerous drugs in Asia were, they're morons (though, maybe they did and he ignored them).

Thirdly, the assertion that "almost everyone in Sydney" is a cocaine user is plain dumb and I don't see that asserted anywhere in that article. I'm aware cocaine gets used in a lot of places and not always where you expect it (e.g. quite common among investment bankers, especially when they're working on intense bids). When I see it used, as long as it's not on my own premises, I just let them get on with it and don't get involved. Sure, it's common and on the rise but definitely not the norm.