Gay Vietnam
Gay World
Everything Else
FAQ & Help
Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: chaing mai vs pattaya

Liked

chaing mai vs pattaya

If you were undecided which place to visit which would u choose, chaing mai or pattaya and why?

Liked

Re: chaing mai via pattaya

I'd have to say Chiang Mai, because there's so much more to do there...and that's especially true if you like outdoor activities. There's the national park to visit, the mae hong son - pai - chiang mai trip, Golden Triangle area. Northern food is great (Khao Soi being the CM "classic" dish). And if you have the time, rather than flying (1 hr), you could take the train up and stop at various places along the way ( Lopburi, Ayutthaya, Sukhothai). In my opinion, you'd get much more out of this sort of trip than doing the standard "taxi from airport to Pattaya" trip. I do like Pattaya, but that's a very different kind of trip compared to Chiang Mai. And, btw, you can have just as good an evening in Chiang Mai as you would in Pattaya...it's just that the scene is much different.

Dboy

Liked

Dboy i totally agree with you on that one. I always have fun in Chaingmai and the boys are real hot too.
    I must admit thou i do tend to get to Bangkok and fly up as after the flight from the UK i just want to get to my Hotel by then. I visit Pattaya less and less these days and prefer Chaingmai.
    I spoke into his eyes. " I thought you died a long,-- a long long time ago".
    " OH NO! not me, i never lost control, your face to face with the Man who sold the world"

Liked

I get most of my info about Chiang mai from this excellent site

http://www.gayinchiangmai.com/News/
    Wombat : an Australian marsupial that eats,roots and leaves

Forum's veteran
    Liked

Totally depends on what you're after and how far you're willing to go... Pattaya is a pumping party town filled with tourists and prostitutes (though not exclusively)... can be pretty seedy and has a bit of a sleazy, "anything goes" atmosphere. Chiang Mai is more real and genuine.

Quote Originally Posted by Dboy
    I'd have to say Chiang Mai, because there's so much more to do there...and that's especially true if you like outdoor activities. There's the national park to visit, the mae hong son - pai - chiang mai trip, Golden Triangle area. Northern food is great (Khao Soi being the CM "classic" dish). And if you have the time, rather than flying (1 hr), you could take the train up and stop at various places along the way ( Lopburi, Ayutthaya, Sukhothai)...
    I did all that backpacker stuff in and near to Chiang Mai a few years ago and had an awesome time but didn't really check out any gay nightlife during that visit. Haven't been back yet as it's a bit out of the way and Bangkok is always more convenient in terms of connections and travel time.

Think I'll be back to CM to check it out in the future... I know at least one nightclub where gays hang out and would love to know of any other bars and such (not commercial sex ones) in Chiang Mai.

Liked

I used to go to CM every year as part of one of my visits but gave up about 6 years ago as I found it boring.

Pattaya for me every time.

Liked

Quote Originally Posted by pennyboy
    I used to go to CM every year as part of one of my visits but gave up about 6 years ago as I found it boring. Pattaya for me every time.
    The rest of this solar system is boring compared to Pattaya! Plenty of + and - to each place..they're just different. Things get going in CM late..like after 11pm. Quite a few places in CM are not used to having foreign visitors. They're friendly, they just look at you as if they were seeing a UFO. Helps to pute some pasa tai. I think it's worth the effort to try out CM at least once. I just think it's a bit tragic that so many people visit Thailand for years and years, yet all they've seen is Route 3.

Liked

Quote Originally Posted by Beachlover
    Think I'll be back to CM to check it out in the future... I know at least one nightclub where gays hang out and would love to know of any other bars and such (not commercial sex ones) in Chiang Mai.
    Mandalay Bar, known locally as Mandagay is very popular with the more camp Thai queens - is that where you mean?

There aren't many real 100% gay Thai bars as gay is now so mainstream. You can find gay guys in bars all over town, but many don't speak much English. Examples include Infinity, Warm Up, sometimes Monkey Club and many smaller Thai bars in the Nimaanheminda and Santitham areas of town. Gay karaokes are also OK for meeting other gays, although commercial bars in one sense, you can also go home with the customers!

Chiang Mai is best to visit in cool season - November to February. Fabulous weather then and plenty to do both in and outside the city. Also consider taking trips out of town to places like Chiang Rai, Phayao or Fang plenty to do and see.
    Chiang Mai Connoisseur - [url=http://www.gayinchiangmai.com/News/]www.gayinchiangmai.com[/url] and [url=http://www.bontong.com/]www.bontong.com[/url]

Forum's veteran
    Liked

Thanks, BonTong!

Quote Originally Posted by BonTong
    Mandalay Bar, known locally as Mandagay is very popular with the more camp Thai queens - is that where you mean?

There aren't many real 100% gay Thai bars as gay is now so mainstream. You can find gay guys in bars all over town, but many don't speak much English. Examples include Infinity, Warm Up, sometimes Monkey Club and many smaller Thai bars in the Nimaanheminda and Santitham areas of town. Gay karaokes are also OK for meeting other gays, although commercial bars in one sense, you can also go home with the customers!
    Yeah... Mandalay is the one I've heard of and read about. I've heard it's only busy on Saturday nights so will have to make sure I'm there on a Sat. Is that true?

Thanks for the other names. Can you tell us a little more about each of them, what crowd they tend to attract and what days/times they tend to get going?

I'm looking for bars or nightclubs/discos with a young crowd where it'll be easy to meet and chat up local gay guys. I speak almost no Thai (Phu Thai mai dai / Phu Thai nit noi?). Most important is knowing what day's and what times they get busy.

Your website's great. Lots of info on gay Chiang Mai... found good info on this page: http://www.radchada.com/chiang-mai-gay- ... e-bar.html

Quote Originally Posted by BonTong
    Chiang Mai is best to visit in cool season - November to February. Fabulous weather then and plenty to do both in and outside the city. Also consider taking trips out of town to places like Chiang Rai, Phayao or Fang plenty to do and see.
    I agree... I last visited during December and had to wear a sweater! I did all the stuff outside Chiang Mai, trekking, river rafting and it was awesome. Everyone should get out and see that part of Thailand. Really beautiful countryside.

Liked

Yeah... Mandalay is the one I've heard of and read about. I've heard it's only busy on Saturday nights so will have to make sure I'm there on a Sat. Is that true?
    Mandagay is busiest Thursday thru Saturday, Thursday is apparently the gayest night. Doesn't get busy until after midnight or later.

Thanks for the other names. Can you tell us a little more about each of them, what crowd they tend to attract and what days/times they tend to get going?

I'm looking for bars or nightclubs/discos with a young crowd where it'll be easy to meet and chat up local gay guys. I speak almost no Thai (Phu Thai mai dai / Phu Thai nit noi?). Most important is knowing what day's and what times they get busy.
    All the other places are straight but with a mixed young crowd, very hard to say what nights you'd find more gays, though weekends are always the busiest. Most of these get busy earlier (maybe 11 p.m.) and finish earlier. To be brutally honest, if you go to these places alone and don't speak Thai your chances of meeting people will be slim. These are predominantly Thai places where groups of friends stand around tables drinking whiskey. Alone you're are likely to be ignored; best to make some Thai friends first and get them to take you, though be prepared to foot the bill for whiskey, mixers and ice for everyone at your table. Under this scenario you may be surprised how many new friends will appear and just how much fun you have.
    Your website's great. Lots of info on gay Chiang Mai... found good info on this page: http://www.radchada.com/chiang-mai-gay- ... e-bar.html
    Thanks for the compliment. We try hard to keep the site up to date and reader feedback is always appreciated.
    Chiang Mai Connoisseur - [url=http://www.gayinchiangmai.com/News/]www.gayinchiangmai.com[/url] and [url=http://www.bontong.com/]www.bontong.com[/url]