List of forums
Gay Thailand
Gay Cambodia
Gay Vietnam
Gay World
Everything Else
FAQ & Help
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Visitors visa to the UK for Thai ?

Visitors visa to the UK for Thai ?

Hi,

On reading the other post re obtaining a US travel visa another member commented that it was even more difficult to obtain a UK travel visa, can anyone confirm the latest position re this perhaps as I'm currently debating inviting a Thai friend to come and visit for a while and I know that he is of the opinion that he can apply for a holiday visa for up to 3 months without too much difficulty ( as I believe either he or several of his friends have done before - albeit to travel to other countries in Europe) so before I go down the road of getting my friends hopes up or start sending money to enable him to apply for a visa etc ( as that would undoubtedly be the next conversation :-) any help or advice would be much appreciated.

Thanks.

Re: Visitors visa to the UK for Thai ?

As with most visa applications if your friend can prove he has sufficient funds in his bank account, normally a job which shows or proves good reason to return to Thailand (sometimes permission from his employer for time spent off work) and also has a sponser and place to stay in the UK then it is quite straight forward. As has been mentioned before he must tell the truth, if they think otherwise then the visa will not be granted.

hmmmm so should have job, some money, a letter from his employer etc - yes, that should be "interesting" considering the guy involved has had I think three jobs in the last two months lol, has (I'm sure) next to bugger all in his bank account ( if he even has one) works on Silom Road ( but "promises" he's not and never has been a MB ( and of course I believe him !!! :-) and I've no doubt if on arrival if he liked it here he would happily "stay" hmmmm ....so I'll maybe not get out the bunting and flags out or arrange a welcome party "just" yet then perhaps lol - and before anyone says "are you mad" - I dod know the guy, we have a laugh, I'm stuck here for work reasons it looks like for a bit and I thinking "why the hell not" as I'm bloody bored of working so hard and being stuck on my own of late ( ok you can start the slaughtering match anytime now guys ! lol :-)

Actually ( and in all seriousness) re the word "sponsor" can anyone tell me is there any legal significance to that i.e. I had heard a story of a (german) guy who had sponsored a guy to come over, with the guy disappearing into the ether shortly after arriving and eventually several months later being found a deported and the German guy getting hit for all the associated legal and deportation costs etc as he was the "sponsor" - or is there no legal "liability" and the word simple means you're inviting them and are prepared to offer them somewhere to stay etc ? Any ideas ?

Thanks

Believe me I'm not taking the water, but from reading your post above NIrish I don't think he has a chance in hell, and you have to be winding us up.... :laughing3:

ha ha actually I wasn't winding you up :-) but I dod realise it's probably a non runner, I was actually basing my question ( almost knowing the answer before I asked it) but based on his assertion ( and details I know to be fact) of a few friends of his who "did" get their visa ( albeit to elsewhere in Europe and not the UK I should add) for a 3 month period, leaving him to think he's in with a shot, but like you I think not somehow, mind you, stranger things have been known to happen at sea I guess ! lol

You might be right stranger things have happened, and some European countries certainly have easier rules to get around than others. You or he can only but try, I just wouldn't invest money in it unless you are prepared to lose it.

Tryig to get a visa to US or Europ is a nobel thing to do and yes I understand that you love him and he loves his ATM and wants to live with his ATM abroad (just joking) so that he can have more guaranteed share in the profits and your possessions as well as going to that bigger and better land, but it doesn't usually work. I decided to take 2 of my boys to China, Hong Kong and Macau for the preperation to try for USA. Sure the thoughts of stamps in teir passports, sounded like a good idea. Hired a professional visa company and this was his recomendation. Well in the above countries they liked the hotels, they liked the bars and that's where is dramatically ended. They hated the colder weather, and what (?) it was only a few degrees colder, they thought the food was repulsive and we argued all the time over the food. Ibn one hotel, Shangri la Hong Kong, they even had a chef who came from their home village in Issan!! They still didnt like it. Everyone tried to please them. We went to Thai restaurants in every country and nothing was the same. I even noticed some differences. All they kept screaming about was that they wanted to go back to Thailand.
    Before you take them out of their natural surroundings, you really need to think it through otherwise you may need buy them a ticket right back.

Thanks for the sound advice Just me :-) but just to be clear ( and I do know you were half joking :-)) a) I most certainly do not love him, b) I absolutely have no wish for him to stay here c) I do fo course know that I'm an ATM ( even though he assures me that's not the case lol) and d) I've nothing more emotionally invested in my plan other than a bit of a laugh and some nice sex (hopefully) for a couple of weeks based on if I can't get to Thailand I may as well bring a bit of Thailand here - but on a serious note, yes thank you, they are valid points you raised and ones that even though I'm being a bit flipant about the whole thing I DO realise could be an issue as like you I've had short term "fish out of water" experiences with a few other guys in the past elsewhere and it really can be more trouble than it's worth and when taking all of the above into consideration and the whole visa hassle issue it may well just be easier to get my own flight booked again and never mind the bringing him here thing but thanks for the sound advice.

Forum's veteran
    Liked

LOL NIrish Guy... Way to think out aloud.

Quote Originally Posted by justme
    I decided to take 2 of my boys to... they liked the hotels, they liked the bars and that's where is dramatically ended. They hated the colder weather, and what (?) it was only a few degrees colder, they thought the food was repulsive and we argued all the time over the food. Ibn one hotel, Shangri la Hong Kong, they even had a chef who came from their home village in Issan!! They still didnt like it. Everyone tried to please them. We went to Thai restaurants in every country and nothing was the same. I even noticed some differences. All they kept screaming about was that they wanted to go back to Thailand.
    Before you take them out of their natural surroundings, you really need to think it through otherwise you may need buy them a ticket right back.
    Totally agree about checking if the guy will enjoy and handle seeing new places first...

All the Thai guys I've met at home love seeing new places (no surprise, since they moved to Australia on their own) and a few of the Thai guys I've met in Bangkok have also done lots of overseas travel or studied overseas and loved it....

... But I've also read all these horror stories about Thais who don't travel here so I guess it's something to be aware of. Some Thais from simpler backgrounds probably aren't as broad minded and won't handle changes in their environment well.

The attitude of UK immigration towards Thai nationals has been an outrage for several years now.

However good your paperwork is, if they are young and single the assumption is made that they are prostitutes - refused - end of story..

Even English guys who have got properly married in Thailand get the third degree when they try to get visas to take their new wives home with them..

It wouldn't be so bad, but for the double standards - money boys from places like Brazil seem able to enter the UK on the flimsiest of pretexts - but if you're Thai - tough..

Not all of europe is so hung up about this - Sweden is very relaxed about girlfriend visas - but I'm not sure how easy they are about boys..

The last leg is the tricky bit of course, but there are ways..

A possible legitimate route is to talk to your nearest Thai restaurant, and see if they can help - your BF might need to create a CV that presents him as an experienced Thai chef..