Gay Vietnam
Gay World
Everything Else
FAQ & Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bangkok nightclub fire

Bangkok nightclub fire

Hi,

They finally handed out the sentence to two people they deemed responsible for the Bangkok nightclub fire in 2009 in which 67 people died and many more were left with horrific burns.

The club's owner and the man in charge of pyrotechnics in the club were given three years in jail. This is despite the fact the club was being run totally illegally without any nightclub permits or licences.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-pacific-14988134

Amazing Thailand indeed!

You can be given five years for stealing a car!

Re: Bangkok nightclub fire

Money talks Kevin, it always will do in LOS.....

Kevin, I honestly say that I don't know how I feel about it.
    It wasn't as though they expected this to happen and I know this is no excuse. Many people died and it is an awful awful shame but these people will be on the run for what may be forever as well as they will live with this for their entire lives, as they should. I am sure that none of them sleep at night and if and when caught, 3 years in a Thai jail is a long time. I guess I would feel better about it if they all just surrendered and took their medicine and recognized what they did and show hinest remorse. I hope the 3 years does not allow for a early parole release.

Maybe this and other tradgedies is why the new Prime Minister has ordered a crackdown on clubs nationwide. It is a tradgedy but the difference between stealing a car and this is that stealing a car is with forethought and malice whereas this is just that, a tradgedy that nobody saw coming and I am sure nobody wanted. It still happened out of negligence and greed and the police are just as much to blame. I would hope that those that may have collected bribes to allow them to operate are also charged and convicted as they are the real criminals. But I am sure that you and I both know that that will never happen.
    I can only hope that they have a conscience and have trouble sleeping at nite but I doubt it. Just one more place that they don't get their tea money from.

God rest the souls who perished and strength to the ones who survived.

:tif:

Its not what you know, its always been who you know, that out ways MONEY every time :notworthy:

Forum's veteran
    Liked

(Moved from the G.O.D.closure thread. My mistake.)

Around the time of that fire I seem to remember there was also a concern about the fire exits at G.O.D. and DJ Station, although I could be mistaken as to whether it involved both of them.

I was out walking and took a look behind them and saw junk piled up that would have definitely prevented people from getting out if they tried to push those doors open from the inside in the event of an emergency. Short of going around and checking the exits yourself I don't know how you could know if the exits were usable or not on any given night, but that morning they looked like a disaster waiting to happen.

For those of you who haven't been, here's a look at G.O.D. and Richards from a couple of years ago:

Quote Originally Posted by mothersruin
    Its not what you know, its always been who you know, that out ways MONEY every time :notworthy:
    Then that means that with all the 'Effluent' (sic) people that you profess to know, or keep telling us you know you'll always be ......................................

Forum's veteran
    Liked

"Maybe this and other tradgedies is why the new Prime Minister has ordered a crackdown on clubs nationwide"

yeahsureright

Forum's veteran
    Liked

That was a horrific event. Good to see at least some people are going to jail and being held accountable for it...

Quote Originally Posted by justme
    these people will be on the run for what may be forever as well as they will live with this for their entire lives, as they should. I am sure that none of them sleep at night and if and when caught, 3 years in a Thai jail is a long time. I guess I would feel better about it if they all just surrendered and took their medicine and recognized what they did and show hinest remorse. I hope the 3 years does not allow for a early parole release.
    What do you mean? Are you saying the guys who've been sentenced have gone on the run?

a tradgedy that nobody saw coming and I am sure nobody wanted.
    Not "seeing it coming" is NEVER an excuse when it comes to OHS failings in business.

You're supposed to undertake a thorough risk assessment to identify all foreseeable risks and implement appropriate measures to deal with them. OHS should always be PRO-ACTIVE not reactive.

I know I'm applying first-world standards/thinking to a third world situation here but it's still not an excuse. There's no way in hell any business owner or safety inspector can be excused for not foreseeing and doing something about the failings that led to so many deaths in this event. For example, as past and present bar owner, can you look through the list of failings and honestly say you couldn't see a disaster coming?

Obviously, the sentence shouldn't be as harsh as it would be if they went out and intentionally murdered a few dozen people. But it should still be pretty harsh.

I would hope that those that may have collected bribes to allow them to operate are also charged and convicted as they are the real criminals.
    Yeah, I agree...

I think the article said that several were on the run.
    No I am not saying that it is an excuse but I am saying that it is an unfortunate tradgedy. Many many things in Thailand are without the permits that they require because of greedy officials as well as the proprietors.I just feel equal or more blame should be put on finding and pursuing the officials that turned their eyes in another direction because they may have received something in return.

Hi,

The club in question had no licences at all. It was an illegal venue operating in an area where nightclub licences were not allowed. There was no fire checks, risk assessments, inspections by local authorities, nothing, zilch,nada.

There had been 47 police reports and actions against these premises from 2004 to 2006. Once a senior police figure became one of the owners, these police reports and actions ceased. The premises had been refused an entertainment licence in 2004. The city architect signature for the building's use had been forged.

This was absolutely a case of at the very least ' gross negligence ' putting profit before people and in my view involuntary manslaughter of 67 people plus I have seen a documentary made of one of the survivors, a beautiful young woman previously, now burnt and scarred beyond belief from her face to her entire torso.

If that club had been operated by a Foreigner, there would have been marches, anti foreign rhetoric all over the TV etc, demands for unbelievable amounts of compensation etc etc AND a big time jail sentence, which would duly have been handed down.

Anyone that thinks three years is a tough or justifiable sentence for this............................well, up to you.