Gay Vietnam
Gay World
Everything Else
FAQ & Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pinnacle in Bkk

Liked: 1

Pinnacle in Bkk

I have thought of booking into Pinnacle for next March but looked at some of the reviews which were not the most impressive as to customer service and attitudes. How was it for those who may have stayed there? Thanks.
    Billy :hello2:

Liked

Re: Pinnacle in Bkk

I haven't stayed there in years, but I have heard it's not as "Gay Friendly" as it used to be. Why don't you checkout Vincent's Place across the street. It's a gay hotel/restaurant with about 8 rooms for about the same price as the Pinnacle. I've heard good things about it and I plan on staying there this December.

Liked

I haven't stayed there for a few years either. I prefer to stay closer to Silom. The time I stayed there I was in a Deluxe room and it was OK, nothing really bad about it, the rooms were dated. Whether the rooms all got upgraded to LCD TV's, new furnishings and bed, I do not know. Painted and tiled floors could be their definition of 'refurbishment'.

I just got an email from Jimmy, the freelance agent in the hotel. He's updated the rates from Nov 2011 on. If anyone wants a copy, PM me and I will forward it on.

Liked

In past years, I have stayed several times at Pinnacle Lumpini and had quite good service. The only 'issue' I really had was the lift does not go through to the car-park - hauling body and baggage up the very steep ramp or the front staircase was a pain in the freckle.

However, a friend stayed there and got nothing but rudeness and arrogance from one of the women on the front desk. She consistently ignored the customer, talking only to his Thai partner, and just made the whole front-desk experience worse than purgatory. K demanded to see the hotel manager and lodged a complaint. The manager apologised profusely, upgraded K to a corner deluxe room on the top floor. The woman concerned wasn't seen on the desk for about 2 weeks (K was told she her training was "being upgraded"). When I last visited Pinnacle, I think that person had found it expedient to follow a different career path.

Balancing that, my personal experience (including having my Thai partner as a guest) has been very good. And the reception we got at Pinnacle Jomtien was excellent.

I guess the quality of one's experience is a bit of a lucky-draw - it depends on the people with whom you interact.
    [i][color=#0000FF]"One day our descendants will think it incredible that we paid so much attention to things like the amount of melanin in our skin, or the shape of our eyes, or our gender, instead of the unique identities of each of us as complex human beings."
    ~ Franklin Thomas[/color][/i]

Liked

I always stay at the Sofitel Silom Road, great location, walking distance to every thing you want.....there in February/March...great value....

If your are on a really tight budget - the Pinnacle is probably a decent choice. I have stayed there several times, but not for about a year. Updated rooms means just new paint and tile floor - otherwise very tired, but clean. The breakfast is good (wait to spot someone at the egg station and you can get fresh cooked), the small pool area on the roof is relaxing (the spa appears to have closed), there are a couple free computers in the lobby for checking email - otherwise nothing much to recommend it except the rate (check out Agoda - you can frequently get a deluxe room for $35 +tax). Not sure if standard rooms have a safe. Rarely spot another gay person there - more likely to see young Russian or Asian tourists.
    My main compaint about the PInnacle is the lack of anything else nearby - a 7/11 and street food is just about it. MRT is nearby, but Silom and Babylon are a bit of a hike. Stay on Silom (close to the bars) or Sukhumvit (if you like the malls). Depends on your budget. A very nice hotel in Bangkok is still reasonable and I don't know of any that aren't gay friendly - just check for joiner fees. Check Agoda - they have good rates for Bangkok hotels and their reviews tend to be fairly accurate and recent.

Forum's veteran
    Liked

Quote Originally Posted by thenorthguy
    I always stay at the Sofitel Silom Road, great location, walking distance to every thing you want.....there in February/March...great value....
    I agree... great value hotel and especially liked the club lounge. But I think it's well out of the Pinnacle price range/league.

Liked

I think your right Beachlover...the Club Lounge is excellent. The pool is always good up until about 1 pm when the sun comes over the pool....overall hard to beat..., just on good places is the Sirroco good, featured in Hangover 2, thinking ofbooking for Dinner.....

Liked: 1

I think the Pinnacle is a very good choice. I stay there often and have never had a problem.

The deluxe rooms have all been updated and have rather nice views. They are large, clean and equipped with everything you might need, including free Internet, electronic safe, minibar, etc. Breakfast is pretty good. The price is quite reasonable. And the location (three minute walk to the subway) is very good as well.

Liked

I stayed at the Pinnacle Hotel on many occasions before I bought my apartment in Bangkok, after initially staying in hotels in the Sukhumvit area. I never had any problems with the hotel and used Jimmy First when booking a room. But itтАЩs been about 3 years since I last stayed there so my knowledge is not up to date, but I see that several members with more recent experience still recommend it. I particularly enjoyed the breakfast facilities there.

If I was to book in at a hotel in Bangkok these days I think I would rather be much closer to the bars and clubs and would therefore be thinking of a hotel in Silom or Surawong Road. A discussion on suitable hotels in those areas was held here recently when many members using those hotels offered several suggestions for reasonably priced hotels.
    Remember: Coughs and sneezes spread diseases