Gay World
Everything Else
FAQ & Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Who will be in BKK or Ching Mai at Christmas / New Year

Forum's veteran
    Liked: 1

Who will be in BKK or Ching Mai at Christmas / New Year

I have just made my booking for Christmas (December 23) with Thai. The price of the seat I purchased this low saeson June/July was $NZ1300 rtn, the price for the same seat in December is $NZ2299 rtn. Bum! As they are the only carrier who flies direct AKL - BKK I'm somewhat ham strung but thems the breaks.

Anyway I was wondering who, out of the the transients here on the board (not full timers) will be about over this period?

I arrive December 23 - January 7. Stint in Chiang Mai from December 27 - January 4. I shall be going up by train as I have never done it. Some acquaintances in Chiang Mai said "good luck with that" with a warning that it was a very old train and the schedule is a joke. Still doing it. How bad could it be in first class carriage? I'm sure some here will enlighten me.

Cheers
    Krobbie

Forum's veteran

Re: Who will be in BKK or Ching Mai at Christmas / New Year

I will be at The Venue for the Christmas period. Leaving on Jan 1 with an overnight near to BKK.

My Thai phone still works, yes in the UK it works on the vodafone system, so if you want to chin wag do so.

Senior member RonanTheBarbarian's Avatar
    Liked

Krobbie, i went from BKk to Chiang mai on the train last January. It left BKK on time, and got into Chiang Mai an hour or so late.

I think this is quite common. But I didnt care as it was an overnight train and I was on holidays anyway. I wouldnt worry about the schedule delays unless you are planning to have a business meeting within an hour or two of the arrival time.

As regards the state of it, it was pretty old, but ok.

I was actually in the second class sleeper as all the first class sleepers were gone, despite me trying to book it 36 hours in advance. That worked out alright, although i meant i was sharing my cabin with three others (two Japanese and a Frenchman who kept babbling to me in French, despite the fact that I cannot speak it).

So my advice to you would be , if you are going to go by train (especially over the Christmas period) to book as far in advance as you can.

Liked

Arrive BKK December 10th. Staying for 2 months with side trips to Pattaya and KL.

Liked

Hi Krobbie
    I haven't travelled to Chiang Mai by train, but I did go to Nong Khai that way 4 years ago. First class will give you a private sleeper compartment for two. The compartment was a bit scruffy by day, but immaculate once the attendants has been round and set it up to sleep at night. If you travel overnight it's pretty good value, compared to the cost of a hotel for the night plus a plane ticket.
    You can book online:
    http://www.thairailticket.com/esrt/Default.aspx
    Or you can get someone in Thailand to buy the tickets for you. They can be bought from any rail station in Thailand, up to 60 days in advance.
    I haven't made my mind up about travelling to Thailand this Christmas/New Year. I need to do that soon, before air tickets go through the roof.

Liked

I have taken many trips on the train and have always enjoyed them. However, I must say that 1st class was very boring. In 2nd class air con sleeper there were many others to meet and one we met the guys in charge of the Bear bar in BKK. A great nights entertainment. The trains are generally safer than buses and the scenery is better too.

Forum's veteran
    Liked

Quote Originally Posted by gregvc
    I have taken many trips on the train and have always enjoyed them. However, I must say that 1st class was very boring. In 2nd class air con sleeper there were many others to meet and one we met the guys in charge of the Bear bar in BKK. A great nights entertainment. The trains are generally safer than buses and the scenery is better too.
    Totally agree with that, Gregvc.

Unless you need the privacy of a lockable cabin to make love, you're better off in second class. I don't believe the seats/beds are any more comfortable in first class. The happy car (dining car) can be a nice place to meet other travelers and enjoy the scenery with the windows open etc. (sleeper cars are air conditioned).

Quote Originally Posted by krobbie
    Stint in Chiang Mai from December 27 - January 4. I shall be going up by train as I have never done it. Some acquaintances in Chiang Mai said "good luck with that" with a warning that it was a very old train and the schedule is a joke. Still doing it. How bad could it be in first class carriage? I'm sure some here will enlighten me.
    The Bangkok-Chang Mai trains are in great condition. You can get some pretty shitty trains rides in other parts of Asia but this one is great.

1. Arrival time is rarely spot on. I recall the overnight sleeper train, which arrives in Chiang Mai around 10am is a 13-hour trip and you may arrive early or arrive 1-2 hours late. I'm guessing it depends on the movement of other trains sharing the track.

2. Bring some snacks in case you get hungry. I had dinner at the Station in Bangkok before I boarded. You might want to bring your own breakfast too.

3. Head over to the "Happy Car" in the evening for some drinks... they serve beer, whisky etc. If you happen to be traveling on New Years Eve, you can get drunk and party with all the backpackers under the mini-disco ball they hang there.

4. In the morning, head over to the Happy Car. It's a nice place to sit and enjoy the view with the windows open and all. The scenery coming into Chiang Mai is beautiful lush, green countryside. They do sell breakfast but it's simple and options are limited.

If I were you, I'd train it up to Chiang Mai and then fly back to Bangkok. The overnight train ride back to Bangkok isn't as nice. You arrive in the early hours of the morning. :crybaby:

Forum's veteran

Quote Originally Posted by jinks
    I will be at The Venue for the Christmas period. Leaving on Jan 1 with an overnight near to BKK.

My Thai phone still works, yes in the UK it works on the vodafone system, so if you want to chin wag do so.
    jinks, I will do just that. I still have your number (of course). Are you still off the gaspers? I hope so. I stoped September 1, so nearly 1 year.

Cheers and good health.

Krobbie

Forum's veteran

Quote Originally Posted by RonanTheBarbarian
    Krobbie, i went from BKk to Chiang mai on the train last January. It left BKK on time, and got into Chiang Mai an hour or so late.

I think this is quite common. But I didnt care as it was an overnight train and I was on holidays anyway. I wouldnt worry about the schedule delays unless you are planning to have a business meeting within an hour or two of the arrival time.

As regards the state of it, it was pretty old, but ok.

I was actually in the second class sleeper as all the first class sleepers were gone, despite me trying to book it 36 hours in advance. That worked out alright, although i meant i was sharing my cabin with three others (two Japanese and a Frenchman who kept babbling to me in French, despite the fact that I cannot speak it).

So my advice to you would be , if you are going to go by train (especially over the Christmas period) to book as far in advance as you can.
    Thanks for that Ronan. We indeed book our Christmas travel at the end of August just to be on the safe side. I am actually looking forward to it. I am not on any business or domestic tight schedule, so when it arrives it arrives, no worries.

Thanks again,
    Krobbie

Forum's veteran

Quote Originally Posted by Beachlover

If I were you, I'd train it up to Chiang Mai and then fly back to Bangkok. The overnight train ride back to Bangkok isn't as nice. You arrive in the early hours of the morning. :crybaby:
    Actually that's the plan Beach. Have you been reading my diary?
    Thanks for all the info though and we are catching the overnight 7.36pm - 9.45am (or there abouts). Not really concerned about the times as I have booked an extra day in hotel before leaving BKK so we don't have to be out at 2pm and an extra day at the beginning of Chiang Mai trip so can go straight to our hotel no matter what time. I know I'm a bit over cautious but have prosthetic leg to contend with so don't want to be hanging about waiting to get into our hotel room.

Huge news, I am getting new limb with articulated ankle joint (instead of the most common static ankle). I'll be trotting about all over the place.

Cheers Beach,
    Krobbie