List of forums
Gay Thailand
Gay Cambodia
Gay Vietnam
Gay World
Everything Else
FAQ & Help
Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Does using the word "Boy" cause the community harm?

Liked

Does using the word "Boy" cause the community harm?

As the internet becomes more public and searchable as well as traceable. (There are now services in the USA that will trace you by your IP address and any related IP address used by you over 10 years providing a report of photo's you have posted, websites you have posted on be they indexed or thought to be secure).

I know that The Thai tend to call young men and children "Boys" but is that something that the gay community should embrace and promote? Thailand is suffering from a perceived perception that perverts are going there for the boys and not the young men.

We say that the Thai call the young men "Boys" but where does that come from? English is not their first language and they try to communicate as best they can to understand those speaking different from them. Could it be that those in the beginning did in fact go there looking for boys and the term has stuck and grown?

At any rate and in any circle, it can't look good for a man of 30, 40, 50 60 or 70 talk about his fun with boys while on holiday.

Maybe it is time for a change? Maybe it is time to bury the word "Boy" in the Farang/Thai Gay Community?

These are the good'ol days

Liked

Re: Does using the word "Boy" cause the community harm?

Absolutely agree Buck.
    BTW my "boy" of the last 12 years is 6 years younger than me. (I'm 41!)

The suggestion is that the term "boy" is dropped by the "gay community" (no such thing IMHO) - because the straight community may equate it with paedophilia?

I say "Honi soit qui mal y pense"

Or, alternatively, "Fuck the straight community" - metaphorically of course

Get off your knees - literally and metaphorically

:bounce: :bounce:

Liked

It is also a way for to separate the men from the boys.... as it were....

Quote Originally Posted by bucknaway
    It is also a way for to separate the men from the boys....
    ....So is a crowbar.

:occasion9:

Liked

LOL :rolling:

Quote Originally Posted by bucknaway
    Thailand is suffering from a perceived perception that perverts are going there for the boys and not the young men.
    Countries don't do Perceived Perception, and I very much doubt that Thais prefer 'perverts' who are going there for old men. And it isn't the 'homosexual' who is perverse but the society in which he lives.

Liked

It's not just Thai specific. Men in western culture are called boys too. Gay men tend to refer to themselves and each other as boys een if they are middle aged. And also straight men refer to their friends as 'the boy's nobody says 'I'm gonna go hang out with the men'

And same goes for women being referred to as girls. Women are often referred to as girls in western society. It doesn't imply anything dodgy at all.

Forum's veteran
    Liked

My guess is you're not going to get a consensus on this, but it's interesting to read people's personal preferences on terms used.

I tend to use the word guys instead of boys to clarify who and what I'm referring to - but that's mainly because of the general usage of the words where I come from. Besides, I get tired of explaining the difference to people when telling or writing stories.

That, and the fact that criticism of those who do like to cut it close to the limit with the age of their paid company is a wide brush I'd prefer to avoid. Too many people sling paint with it far too liberally.

Liked

Hearing the term "boy" here has always made me uncomfortable. I always thought its use by Thais must be due to some lack of age descriptions in Thai but that's not the case. They have a different word for an 18yo than for a 14yo. So, I guess it's true that they learned "boy" from us and use it for a broader range of ages than would be politically correct in the West.

As an American I am sensitive not only to underage issues but also to our history of race relations in which black adults were called "boy" as a form of subjugation. So, for young adults I have always said "guys". Most Thai people don't know that word but one or two have learned it from me. That's a start.