Gay Vietnam
Gay World
Everything Else
FAQ & Help
Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Customer service and "the bars"

Liked

Customer service and "the bars"

There's a segment in another thread about whether JustMe's pricing policy at his bar (cheaper prices for Pattaya locals) is acceptable or not. I thought I'd set down a few thoughts about customer service in Bangkok based on my own experience. The guys and gals at my local Starbucks "recognise" me the moment I walk in. They know my name, my preference for coffee, even my favorite cookie. They don't give me a special price. I'm a repeat customer because I'm recognised. Likewise when I walk into Telephone Bar I head straight for my favorite spot; the waiter greets me as a regular customer, asks after friends (or boys) he's seen me with previously, and pretty much can predict what I'll have to drink. At @Richards they know I don't want a bowl of popcorn put in front of me. The manager of The Barbican recognises my friends (and me) and greets us by name whenever we turn up.

Moving on to the bars. Classic (in Soi Prostitute) and Solid (off Silom 6 - actually Naratiwas 1) are two of my favorites. This week I went to Classic with a visiting friend; the captain provided two containers for our bar chits. "I know farang like to pay for himself," he said when challenged, "So this make it easy" - a keen observation of the social habits of his customers. He also knows my name and the type of boys I like. He doesn't pester me to make a choice (often I'm just there for a drink or with a visitor), and knows there's no point in bull-shitting me about "he do everything" if I ask whether a boy is really gay or not. I should say that I do get "special price" drinks because I'm a regular (he'd rather sell me two drinks at a slightly reduced price than one at full price), but that's not why I'm a frequent visitor. In Solid the captain also knows my name and that I like to be left alone to make a selection (or not).

For the price-conscious - those "sleazy low-life dumb fuck creeps, bitching about their last prostitute failing to please them or something..." (in Beachlover's memorable phrase) living in reduced circumstances in Pattaya, price may be everything, but I've always found price to be negotiable, even in bars. A few years ago I recall going to Dream Boy in Soi Prostitute between Xmas and New Year and being asked for some sort of entrance fee, which equated to the price of a drink plus 50% (the fee included a drink voucher). As I walked away saying "Expensive" (in Thai, one of the words of my 200 basic Thai vocabulary), the entrance price was immediately dropped to the standard drink price.

That's what customer service is about, for me - recognition. As Dale Carnegie wrote, "Nothing is so sweet to a person than the sound of their own name". Price is secondary but, particularly in Thailand, very much "up to you".

A note for those who think of themselves as politically correct and preach sermons on the topic: all conversations reported are either in English or my basic Thai vocabulary which gets me through most of these incidental social exchanges.

Re: Customer service and "the bars"

Quote Originally Posted by thonglor55
    I should say that I do get "special price" drinks because I'm a regular
    So yesterday when you were ranting and raving about a dual pricing policy, today, you admit to partaking in at least one.
    We prefer to give our "regular customers" a VIP card so that all of our staff recognizes this customer because we do have some turnover in staff and we want our customer recognized each and every time. Also, with a card it avoids the possibility of spmeone giving their "freinds" discounts.

We run specials from time to time in publications as well as radio. Does that mean that everyone that runs a "coupon" ad, is dishonest and partaking in a "dual pricing policy"? How about a store that runs a page of coupons and you dont clip coupons? Isnt that dual pricing or should you give it to everyone whether they know about it or not? How about radio ads that offer discounts on large purchase items to those that produce military, veteran, police or government emplyee ID cards? Really, get off this kick because it is everywhere. Newspaper/radio ads, fliers that come to your home, discount cards (what about those without discount cards?) How about hotels all across the world (that includes Pattaya Gay Hotels) that run special rates in combination with other offers? Well if you are unaware of them and book online and dont mention the special, well you pay rack rate (normal price) or near there! Dont try to make me look evil because we run a radio ad aimed at Pattaya residents.
    :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy:

Liked

Quote Originally Posted by justme
    So yesterday when you were ranting and raving about a dual pricing policy ...
    Perhaps you'd provide a quote of my "ranting and raving about a dual pricing policy" - by which I assume you mean my undisguised hostility to such a thing (chapter and verse please)?

That's what customer service is about, for me - recognition. As Dale Carnegie wrote, "Nothing is so sweet to a person than the sound of their own name". Price is secondary but, particularly in Thailand, very much "up to you".(quote)thonglor55

You wouldn't get any argument from Beachy here!

Liked

And still waiting for Justme to produce his evidence of my ranting and raving against dual pricing ...

Thonglor, I have a question for you. How many times have you been to my bar?

Liked

Produce your evidence of my ranting and raving about dual pricing and I'll be happy to tell you.

I will as soon as you tell me when you were at the bar and how many times. You will not drag me into yet another tiff without me being able to give a proper anser.

Liked

Why dont you ask him how many times he has been to Pattaya. His history has been full of shit thrown at Pattaya and that he would under no circumstances to be dragged to the sin city .
    Wombat : an Australian marsupial that eats,roots and leaves

Liked

I will as soon as you tell me when you were at the bar and how many times. You will not drag me into yet another tiff without me being able to give a proper anser.
    You clearly have nothing to proffer to support your baseless assertions; I went a couple of times when I was staying at Howards with my visiting friend from Australia (whom I've mentioned previously). Your turn.