Gay Cambodia
Gay Vietnam
Gay World
Everything Else
FAQ & Help

Thread: Tsunami power ...

Liked

Tsunami power ...

Watching the video snippets of the recent earthquake and tsunami was mesmerizing enough, but often they came in 20 second or half minute lengths, stopped by the next talking head to appear and walk us through it.

But videos of horrors like this one owe their power to more lengthy takes ... like these two regarding the destruction of Kesennuma, a port north of Sendai.
    The waves start off strong, but for the first half minute it starts off more like a trickle. But keep watching: the power of this water becomes obvious as the minutes roll by, inexorable, unstoppable, building strength upon strength.

Close to the end of the first video, one can almost feel the photographer getting a bit worried about his own high perch ... the water began minutes before lapping into the parking lot way down below, but by the end of it it's creeping higher and higher toward him. Nowhere to go.
    These are two of the most powerful videos of the tsunami I've seen, made all the more mesmerizing by their very length.

(Best watched by clicking on the YouTube icon at bottom right and then opening it up to full screen):

[youtube:2szwr9zj]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_b-2iByqHVI[/youtube:2szwr9zj]

Not quite why this second video wouldn't embed, but just click on the link below to see it.

[youtube:2szwr9zj]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hK1zBRA9T3k[/youtube:2szwr9zj]

Just another reason why I love living in Thailand

Re: Tsunami power ...

Embedded for you Smiles:

[youtube:15qfzozd]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hK1zBRA9T3k[/youtube:15qfzozd]

Liked

I believe the total death toll is still around the 10,000 mark and not the apocalyptic figures the more naive of our members were quoting in their Chicken Little moments.

Quote Originally Posted by thonglor55
    I believe the total death toll is still around the 10,000 mark and not the apocalyptic figures the more naive of our members were quoting in their Chicken Little moments.
    Oh well that makes it all OK then doesn't it, I bet your breakfast went down much easier as you were laughing when you came across that figure!

Liked

Quote Originally Posted by combat
    Oh well that makes it all OK then doesn't it, I bet your breakfast went down much easier as you were laughing when you came across that figure!
    Quite so.

Forum's veteran
    Liked

A friend had sent this link to me, and I agree: it's a very good example of how powerful the water can be as it rises. In many ways I'm glad similar footage wasn't available of the 2004 disaster.

Here's another of a similar type that another friend emailed the link for a week ago. It was also impressive, in a horrifying kind of way:
    [youtube:2wamfz7h]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GpuLlIrUYsI[/youtube:2wamfz7h]

Liked

Hard to believe with the very long length of coastline that the tsunami crashed into, the number of large towns and villages which were located directly on the sea front, and the still-unfinished body searches going on that the figure will not be in the range 50,000+.

It's got nothing to do with inventing, then impaling, your straw men (i.e. your chicken-little Armegeddonists): I don't see anyone predicting the end of the world here, just those suggesting the death toll, at the end of the day/week/month/year, will be very large indeed.
    Just another reason why I love living in Thailand

elephantspike

I agree with you about the body count probably getting bigger, Smiles, and the Fukishima nuke problem could end-up claiming more lives than the tsunami over time. Maybe Chicken Little was right this time, at least for Japan.

Thanks for the vids. I fixed the embedding for you. You had [url] tags instead of [youtube] tags on that one. Also, you need to delete the part of the url at the end starting with the "&". If you click on the "share" button underneath the video on the youtube page, the correct url will appear in a box under the share button. The url in the address bar may have some clutter at the end that prevents it from embedding properly if you clicked on the video from a link on another video.

Liked

Quote Originally Posted by Smiles
    It's got nothing to do with inventing, then impaling, your straw men (i.e. your chicken-little Armegeddonists): I don't see anyone predicting the end of the world here, just those suggesting the death toll, at the end of the day/week/month/year, will be very large indeed.
    That is simply nonsense, and nonsense of a magnitude greater than the tsunami itself. Spike was quick to run around screaming "This will be bigger than the 2004 tsunami" which everyone agrees killed 250,000+. While Japan's bodies remain uncounted, the numbers reported missing do not exceed a number in the very low five figures - unless of course you believe there are tens of thousands of bodies yet to be discovered whom no-one has reported missing. It's a matter of simple arithmetic to count the total population in the area,and subtract the number of known survivors, to derive a "highest possible" death toll. Nevertheless, even allowing the unlikely possibility of large numbers of unknown missing, the death toll approaches nothing like 250,000+. It is also nothing like the Haiti earthquake, where the death toll is believed to be in excess of 300,000 nor even the Sichuan earthquake in China where the death toll is around 80,000. To use phrases like "very large indeed" is a bastardisation of the English language and introduces elements of hyperbole which are Chicken Little territory. Journalists throw around phrases like "This is a tragedy of unimaginable proportions" in almost every circumstance. Why do you seek to sink to those depths?