Gay World
Everything Else
FAQ & Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: ATM Scams

Forum's veteran Brad the Impala's Avatar
    Liked

ATM Scams

PHUKET: An English expat has gone public about 814,000 baht allegedly stolen from his bank account in an ATM scam.

Following the Phuket Gazette report of the arrest of a Romanian gang for ATM fraud in Patong on March 13, Paul Treherne felt it was time to let other people know about his own ordeal.

The four Romanians were arrested for stealing as much as 100 million baht through ATM card scams.

It is believed that fraudsters in the United Kingdom used тАЬskimmersтАЭ to read data from genuine ATM cards.

Stored on USB drives, the data was later transferred to blank ATM cards in Thailand, police said.

The scammers then allegedly used the counterfeit cards to make fraudulent withdrawals from their victimsтАЩ accounts.

Mr Treherne claims that his Thai Military Bank (TMB) card was cleverly тАЬskimmedтАЭ right behind his back as he used an ATM at the United Overseas Bank (UOB) on Rat-U-Thit 200 Pi Road in Patong on January 27.

In surveillance footage shown to the Gazette by Mr Treherne, he was seen using an ATM as a European-looking man wearing a baseball cap and sunglasses approached from behind.

For full article http://phuketgazette.net/archives/ar...icle10091.html

Re: ATM Scams

Quote Originally Posted by Brad the Impala
    ....Mr Treherne claims that (he)was cleverly тАЬskimmedтАЭ right behind his back as he used an ATM...
    Well I've been cleverly "rimmed" behind my back a few times, dear - but never whilst using an ATM.

:occasion9:

Liked

[quote=scottish-guy]
    Quote Originally Posted by "Brad the Impala":2rpq7622
    ....Mr Treherne claims that (he)was cleverly тАЬskimmedтАЭ right behind his back as he used an ATM...
    Well I've been cleverly "rimmed" behind my back a few times, dear - but never whilst using an ATM.

:occasion9:[/quote:2rpq7622]

argh, how much did you pay for that perversion? ottytrain2:

[quote=scottish-guy]
    Quote Originally Posted by "Brad the Impala":12kmlzsd

:occasion9:[/quote:12kmlzsd]

:laughing3: :laughing3: :laughing3: :laughing3:

Liked

Quote Originally Posted by Phuket Gazette
    In what appeared to be a very practiced maneuver, the тАЬhelperтАЭ managed to get possession of Mr TreherneтАЩs ATM card and pass it to the man in the motorcycle helmet.

The second suspect then opened his bag and put the card inside, running it through a skimmer, Mr Treherne believes.

The card was then passed back to the helper who managed to get it back to Mr Treherne while he was still preoccupied with the ATM.
    The moral of the story is 'never allow a complete stranger to get possession of your ATM card' ! What an idiot!

When I was in Phuket in January, some farang started trying to talk to me at an ATM on Rat-U-Thit Road just at that moment when I had my wallet in my hand, cash just being dispensed and my card about to be ejected from the machine. I can't remember what he was saying as I paid little attention to him until I had my cash, card and wallet back in my pocket. Maybe he was that scammer!
    If [img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v291/SenYai/YouTube.jpg[/img] [img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v291/SenYai/MySpace.jpg[/img] I'll [img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v291/SenYai/Google.jpg[/img] your [img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v291/SenYai/Yahoo.jpg[/img]

Liked

Quote Originally Posted by Sen Yai
    When I was in Phuket in January, some farang started trying to talk to me at an ATM on Rat-U-Thit Road just at that moment when I had my wallet in my hand, cash just being dispensed and my card about to be ejected from the machine. I can't remember what he was saying as I paid little attention to him until I had my cash, card and wallet back in my pocket. Maybe he was that scammer!
    No, I was just trying to be sociable.

The news about skimmers and ATM machines and never let a stranger near you at a machine is old hat. They have been reporting on these people for the last year or two. Listen to the news or read the newspapers. I cannot believe that people have not learned about this already.

Liked

I had my card skimmed in Brazil. I was always very careful when using my card. After this happened I did a web search on the topic and found just how sophisticated these skimmers have become. Most often in addition to a skimming device on the ATM machine that looks like a normal slot there is also a hidden camera on the machine to record your pin. This frequently is disguised as a brochure holder stuck on the side of the ATM.

Bottom line you can't ever 100% protect against this fraud--just make sure that you follow your account information closely and are dealing with a bank that will refund you for fraudulent activity on your card.

Liked

I think you guys are underestimating today's technology. Here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T0Uc_s3XzSs

Or just search Youtube for "RFID Skimming", and there's loads of demos. No need to fuck around with ATM machines anymore. Just throw an RFID reader in your bag that you buy off eBay, and walk around close to people. You'll get full details of any cards that have an RFID chip in them, which it lots these days.

Liked

Thanks for your post and the YouTube link cdnmatt. I was not previously aware of the ability to read credit/debit cards simply by being close to the card. I found a company in the UK called Alchemy Creative Solutions Ltd which provides RFID Protection Card Sleeves and ordered a card at a cost of ┬г4.49 which may be of interest to forum members living in the UK.
    Remember: Coughs and sneezes spread diseases