Gay Vietnam
Gay World
Everything Else
FAQ & Help
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Alternative area to Boyztown,Sunee and Jomtien Complex

Liked

Alternative area to Boyztown,Sunee and Jomtien Complex

For the second time in less than 3 months, I have been asked to recommend a new area to create a new gay bar. Both enquirers were concerned about the Arab influence in the area surrounding Sunee, the increasing sleaziness of Pattayaland 1 and 2 and their doubt that the Jomtien Complex would suit their plans.

The first person to contact me was prompted by the advice being given to Monty and the posts by gertrude unmasked as Billyboy. My contact was looking for a new B&B /guesthouse but no off boys, he asked me for an opinion.

In another thread I mentioned my friend who has worked in hotel groups in Australia for many years, who has been checking out bars in Pattaya. Recently he emailed me to get my nominations of the best managed bars in Pattaya and a possible new area. Within the guidleines he gave I nominated La Cage and Bondi, neither of which they had seen as he said " they were outside the ghetto areas" . He agreed with both my choices.

The area I recommended in both cases, as my choice of the best place to look to buy or lease a full building was

1 the soi than runs between Soi daynight 1 through to Soi daynight 3 from Office boy through past Chez Vickie, Salt and Pepper and Bordeaux

2 soi daynight 2 either side but suggested he look at the former building occupied by Blue House.

I made some suggestions re Cats Place and Office boy that he noted . He was not impressed with soi daynight 3.

As he wants to buy a 4 story building gut the top 2 floors for his own living area, I think this is attractive,

The area to those who have not been there has 7 restaurants including Ole that is not on gayaffairspattaya.com map. It is close to Tukcom, where there are 3 coffee shops plus numerous cafes, close to Mosaik and its 50 condos and others in soi daynight 3.

The restaurants are well patronized by straight as well as gay expats, does not have the sleazy mix of Sunee and Pattayland 1 & 2 and you can park.

As they do not plan to buy for another year or so, maybe it was time wasted.
    Time will tell.

Wombat : an Australian marsupial that eats,roots and leaves

Liked

Re: Alternative area to Boyztown,Sunee and Jomtien Complex

For me, would depend on the reason you're starting the bar. To make a profit, or to have a comfortable place done in your style, where you can oogle boys with your farang friends? If it's for a profit, I would recommend just beside the Khon Kaen university. There's not a single gay bar here, and there's about 40,000 students at that university.

Liked

Quote Originally Posted by lonelywombat
    ...As he wants to buy a 4 story building gut the top 2 floors for his own living area, I think this is attractive...
    Especially handy given the apparent and well documented propensity for ageing farangs to throw themselves, with no obvious motives, to their deaths from high buildings (though, weirdly enough, when their apartments are subsequently searched many of its valuables appear to have gone missing at the same time).

I'd stick to the ground floor!
    "The fruits of peace and tranquility... are the greatest goods... while those of its opposite, strife, are unbearable evils. Hence we ought to wish for peace, to seek it if we do not already have it, to conserve it once it is attained, and to repel with all our strength the strife which is opposed to it. To this end individual[s]... and in even greater degree groups and communities are obliged to help one another... from the bond or law of human society." [Marsilio dei Mainardini (c.1275-1342), Defensor Pacis]

Liked

What is the problem with the "Arabs"? When I was in Sunee for a few weeks I did notice the increased presence of those one would suspect as being Arab if only because I read so many posts on the board about their growing numbers.

Are the "Arabs" doing something that is harming the gay community in Sunee?

I have seen a few Arabic guys with gogo boys so they all are not straight I guess.

One night I went to an Iranian restaurant with a guy that was so truly flaming. The staff in the restaurant was very accommodating and seem more concerned about the sale than the sexuality of their customers. They made us feel welcome and continued to greet us every night as we walked past their establishment.

Are people concerned because they fear the unknown or is something more going on that we don't know about?
    These are the good'ol days

Quote Originally Posted by bucknaway
    What is the problem with the "Arabs"? ....Are people concerned because they fear the unknown or is something more going on that we don't know about?
    Quite simple - it's just blind prejudice.

People tend to get more conservative as they get older - this explains why many SGT members are, politically, somewhere to the right of Hitler, Mussolini, and Franco.

:occasion9: :occasion9:

PS: I have seen transvestite Arabs walking about Sunee. The moustache and beard looks a bit ridiculous mind you - but each to their own i I say

:occasion9: :occasion9:

Forum's veteran
    Liked

Quote Originally Posted by cdnmatt
    If it's for a profit, I would recommend just beside the Khon Kaen university. There's not a single gay bar here, and there's about 40,000 students at that university.
    Yes, but I guess next to Khon Kaen University you would be looking to attract the young gays and students. This is fantastic (maybe something something you and Kim can consider when you have some disposable capital you can risk). Except I think Lonely is talking more about the kind of gay joint where the target audience is farangs and, rather than attracting an appealing crowd, the offering is based around gogo boys and prostitutes.

Quote Originally Posted by Marsilius
    Especially handy given the apparent and well documented propensity for ageing farangs to throw themselves, with no obvious motives, to their deaths from high buildings (though, weirdly enough, when their apartments are subsequently searched many of its valuables appear to have gone missing at the same time).
    Good thinking! Though, being on the third/fourth floor would mean they just end up with broken bones and perhaps a paraplegic or quadriplegic rather than dead. I think they're less of a burden on society dead.

Are people concerned because they fear the unknown....
    I think this is exactly the case...

Quote Originally Posted by scottish-guy
    Quite simple - it's just blind prejudice. People tend to get more conservative as they get older - this explains why many SGT members are, politically, somewhere to the right of Hitler, Mussolini, and Franco.
    LOL... such high esteem you hold them in, Scottish.

Liked

Quote Originally Posted by Beachlover
    Yes, but I guess next to Khon Kaen University you would be looking to attract the young gays and students.
    Exactly! Young, energetic, horny students who are finally living away from their parents eyes, and after a few drinks seemingly forget they're on a budget. Perfect!

Quote Originally Posted by Beachlover
    This is fantastic (maybe something something you and Kim can consider
    Kim being the boss of the only gay bar in KK, which is frequented by cute uni students? Ummm... nooooooooooo. :-) lol

Are people concerned because they fear the unknown....
    Nah, it's because they're all secretly plotting to take over the world, and will soon begin suicide bombing missions in the go-go bars! You're right though, I think it's just fear of the unknown. You have to remember, most people on this board are older, already set in their ways, so anything foreign to them is "not good" (unless it's a cute Thai guy in white briefs, dancing on stage -- they'll bend cultural values for that).

Forum's veteran
    Liked

Exactly! Young, energetic, horny students who are finally living away from their parents eyes, and after a few drinks seemingly forget they're on a budget. Perfect!
    Yeah! Let me know if such a bar ever opens. I'll pay a visit, for sure.

Kim being the boss of the only gay bar in KK, which is frequented by cute uni students? Ummm... nooooooooooo. :-) lol
    Control freak LOL :occasion9:

There is no reason to find and alternative area in Pattaya. Jometien Complex has been in total disarray for many years, Sunnee has for the most part cleaned up its act, boystown remains looking for an identity. There is no one here under 50.......and there never has been, so your base fades away and they have less dispossable income.
    There is no doubt that the Arabs are around the outskirts of Sunnee and are increasing in numbers but they have no interaction whatsoever with gays...good....bad....or indifferent!

Liked

Thanks to those who PM'd me agreeing with me as to the area. My friend sent a glowing report on his visit to La Cage and Bondi. He classes them both the type of operation he would like to emulate.

He added there was a new B&B in the soi opposite Cats Place and also the new restaurant downstairs, He called it El Dorado . I thought it was called Ole. I am probably wrong as usual.

He also spoke warmly about the [Swiss?] owned coffee shop on the corner. I have been there often , it is a bakery and i love the fresh bread. He did not mention the name and I have never known it.

He thought Office Boy had potential if it was not so dark. He could not understand managements thinking as it has better potential if lighting was improved.
    Wombat : an Australian marsupial that eats,roots and leaves