Everything Else
FAQ & Help
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: The Nation: It's time for Thailand to end state homophobia

Liked: 1

The Nation: It's time for Thailand to end state homophobia

Excerpt from:
    http://www.nationmultimedia.com/2010/11 ... 42726.html

"State homophobia, as expressed by high-ranking politicians like Mr Trairong, creates an atmosphere in which local governments and non-state actors feel that oppression against LGBTs is acceptable. In 2008, when protesters shut down the Chiang Mai Gay Pride parade and threatened marchers with violence, the government failed to take action against government offices whose opposition to the event was used by protesters to justify violence. Now Chiang Mai's local authority feels so brazen as to arbitrarily ban transgenders from the processions during important government-sponsored festivities.

Internationally, Thailand has fared miserably in respect of LGBT rights. Hinting at appeasement of the Muslim world, Thailand in 2008 chose not to endorse a statement affirming the human rights principle of universality and non-discrimination regardless of sexual orientation and gender identity at the United Nations General Assembly, the UN's most important body. This week, when 79 countries voted to remove a reference to sexual orientation as a ground of protection in a UN resolution condemning extrajudicial, summary or arbitrary executions, Thailand again chose to sit on its hands rather than joining the 70 countries that opposed such a homophobic initiative. This is the only UN resolution with an explicit reference to sexual orientation. "

Re: The Nation: It's time for Thailand to end state homophob

I believe if this takes off the worldwide gay community might call for a boycott of Thailand. There is a HUGE amount of power in the "pink dollar". That could have a massive impact on the politicians who won't stand up to support gay issues.

Liked

Quote Originally Posted by ajarntrade
    I believe if this takes off the worldwide gay community might call for a boycott of Thailand..
    Oh sure... threaten the Thais. I am sure that will go over in a big way! And anyway, how many gays are going to boycott one of the few places left that they can pick up gorgeous young boys, day and night, for what amounts to pocket change?

[attachment=0:2sorsl3i]Thai reaction to gay boycott.jpg[/attachment:2sorsl3i]

The article from a day or two ago finally explains to me where shocking comments I hear that Thailand is no longer a gay friendly paradise come from. I can't say I agree with it. But was IS interesting, err, maybe scary, is that this isn't coming from exactly where I thought. Hmmm.

Forum's veteran
    Liked

Sounds bad. However, Thai society is still one of the most openly accepting of gays. That's what counts the most.

I may be wrong, but whilst Thailand is fantastic for gays relative to other countries right now, it doesn't feel like gay rights have made much progress at all in decades. Maybe there still needs t be move movement to take it to the next level with anti-discrimination laws and such.

Quote Originally Posted by ajarntrade
    I believe if this takes off the worldwide gay community might call for a boycott of Thailand. There is a HUGE amount of power in the "pink dollar".
    Not going to stop me going to Thailand when I want... and I don't think politicians will give a toss either.

Liked

Quote Originally Posted by ArNolD
    The article from a day or two ago finally explains to me where shocking comments I hear that Thailand is no longer a gay friendly paradise come from. I can't say I agree with it.
    Thailand has never been a "gay friendly paradise" - just ask most gay Thai people - but then many gay westerners are all too ready to class any country that has a ready supply of young male sex workers as "paradise", in which case the above article is fairly irrelevant as it relates to real life for Thai gays not sex workers and sex tourists!

bkkguy
    I can’t even be bothered to be apathetic these days!

Liked

Quote Originally Posted by Beachlover
    Thailand is fantastic for gays relative to other countries right now
    in what ways and compared to what countries?

bkkguy
    I can’t even be bothered to be apathetic these days!

Quote Originally Posted by bkkguy
    Thailand has never been a "gay friendly paradise" - just ask most gay Thai people - but then many gay westerners are all too ready to class any country that has a ready supply of young male sex workers as "paradise", in which case the above article is fairly irrelevant as it relates to real life for Thai gays not sex workers and sex tourists!bkkguy
    I think bkkguy writes some truth here. How many posters actually stray from the tourist path where Go-Go Bars and boys are in abundance and readily available. The tourist and Ex Pat is also inclined to throw all caution to wind and think he is in a gay paradise as he is so much more relaxed being who he is and doing what he has always wanted to do without the fears that he might of had back home worrying that someone might see or learn about his sexual preferences.

Over the years I have known quite a few middle and upper class Thais who were terrified that their familys might find out about their sexuality, much the same as their counterparts in the West or other countries.

One needs to make a distinction between the Thai people and their Government. Thai Government ministers have long railed against gay people, but most Thai people couldn't care less if people are gay or not. Exceptions to this are Thai Chinese and parts of the Bangkok middle class (from which groups most Government Ministers are drawn). Homophobic verbal and physical abuse is very rare in Thailand, and almost unknown in Isaan. They are both still quite common in Western countries, despite all the progressive laws.

Liked

Quote Originally Posted by justinco
    Homophobic verbal and physical abuse is very rare in Thailand, and almost unknown in Isaan.
    Ok, maybe me living in Issan is why this article left me scratching my head.

I don't know, but I have yet to witness a single hint of homophobia, and have yet to meet a single person who's gay, and is shy about letting that fact be known. Of course, nobody prances around & shows off, but I have yet to meet someone who is the least bit worried because they're gay. Definitely haven't seen any prejudice against anyone, or someone yelling out "fucken fag!", or anything.

We're in a nice, middle class neighborhood, and the neighbors don't seem to care at all that Kim and myself are gay, and live together. Either they're excellent actors, or it actually doesn't bother them in the slightest. We go out to these small, little shit hole karaoke bars on the out-skirts of town, where the typical construction worker or police officer goes to party. None of them seem to care in the slightest either, as I've only ever gotten polite nods & smiles.

Parents don't care, younger siblings don't care, extended family doesn't care, friends don't care, strangers don't seem to care, etc. The only thing I have noticed is, there's a pretty large difference between picking up giks (one-night stands), and having a stable, long-term relationship. Once they know you enough to know you're with ONE guy only, and don't have 10 boyfriends going at the same time, their attitude towards you will change. Before that, they'll be a little cautious with you, in general.

I don't know, maybe Issan is just different from the rest of Thailand. If that's the case, I'm staying right here. I like being referred to as "a friend of mine", instead of, "a gay friend of mine". It's much nicer, because nobody seems to take your sexual orientation into account when judging your character.