5 9.62%
  • Serial Flooding should just be ignored and tolerated

2 3.85%
  • Serial Flooding should not be allowed by the moderators

10 19.23%
  • I don't think Flooding is an issue and this poll is a waste of time

11 21.15%
Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Flooding, a curse worst than the trolls or no big deal....

Forum's veteran
    Liked

Flooding, a curse worst than the trolls or no big deal....

Flooding has become a major issue for this poster in recent months.
    When I see one poster comments on 8 out 10 threads every day, it gets real old ..
    The moderators have the troll control humming along and it no longer presents a
    big problem, but just as annoying is Flooding.
    What do you think?
    It is my first attempt with a poll and probably my last.. :cat:

Forum's veteran
    Liked

Re: Flooding, a curse worst than the trolls or no big deal..

Multiple posts from any one member in a 24 hour period doesn't bother me if they have something of worth to add to the thread. Additional details, an alternate viewpoint, a personal experience to share - all of those can add to a thread.

I get tired of the quick replies thought by the person posting to be "witty" if done very often, and I tire even faster of the comments posted just to be commenting, such as "Heh... yeah, that's funny." That offense is compounded if they quote a lengthy passage before their pithy addition.

When I log in and see 8 or 9 posts in a row at the top of a page with the same person's handle I sometimes tend to just skip the lot of them, but I may be in the minority here, and have myself on rare occasions had my handle show of three or four posts in a row as the last commenter so I expect I may hear about that in this thread, too. Ah, well.

Liked

I wonder if 'flooders' recognize themselves as such?
    The opening post is obviously about one particular member (i.e. 'Beachlover'), and I'm pretty sure he does not recognize himself as one ... content with thinking of himself as simply 'contributing', or perhaps a bit more hifalutin' ~ 'prolific'.
    If a flooder doesn't recognize his own behavior then I suppose that makes him simply blind or dumb. If he floods on purpose, then he's not only a flooder, but also a troll.

When it comes down to any given Member's opinion about flooding it is probably not really about numbers, but about 'content'. I doubt that big-number posters who consistently have interesting, relevant, or original things to say would be accused of 'flooding' the Board.

Noted that (right now) 50% of the responses believe that 'flooding' is trollish, and that it should not be tolerated by the Mods.
    Just another reason why I love living in Thailand

Forum's veteran
    Liked

Quote Originally Posted by catawampuscat
    It is my first attempt with a poll and probably my last.. :cat:
    Cat, I think the poll needs to factor in quality as well as quantity to be valid. It can't be based on purely quantitative measures.

I don't find multiple posts a day an issue as long as they are on-topic, interesting/positive or adding value and not unjustifiably malicious. This is a conversational discussion message board, not a formal encyclopedia or journal.

For example, I find most (not all) of Scottish Guy's posts witty and in good humour. When Beach Bunny/Oops used to post, I found his posts interesting and in good humour too. Even homintern was a reasonably witty poster back when he was prolific (with ONE handle). All of these people have made more than 7-8 posts a day.

Quote Originally Posted by bao-bao
    When I log in and see 8 or 9 posts in a row at the top of a page with the same person's handle I sometimes tend to just skip the lot of them, but I may be in the minority here, and have myself on rare occasions had my handle show of three or four posts in a row as the last commenter so I expect I may hear about that in this thread, too. Ah, well.
    I don't think this is an issue because it's a natural occurrence. Almost every regular poster has done this before because most people do their posts in "bundles".

Most people only login once a day or every few days. So naturally, if they respond to two or more posts their handle appears as the "last reply" on a few consecutive posts - unless someone else is posting at EXACTLY the same time. But this naturally goes away in a few minutes or a few hours when other people have responded.

Quote Originally Posted by Smiles
    If a flooder doesn't recognize his own behavior then I suppose that makes him simply blind or dumb.
    I generally don't take anything malicious Smiles says seriously because he's generally an arsehole to a lot of posters who are perfectly reasonable and positive. Kind of like Gone Fishing used to be. He probably doesn't realise this himself. I've received various PMs about it over time so I'm certainly not the only one who thinks this is the case.

Liked

Quote Originally Posted by Beachlover
    " ... I've received various PMs about it over time ... "
    :rolling: Probably from Homintern.

By the way ... DO you recognize yourself? A reasonable question considering I gave you at least a smidgen of doubt.
    You do understand that Catawampuscat's topic is about you. Or don't you.
    Just another reason why I love living in Thailand

Forum's veteran
    Liked

No, these PMs weren't from homintern at all. Some from long established posters. Some were from new (though genuine) posters a bit shocked at the treatment.

Yes, I believe Cat's post is likely to be about ME and/or Scottish. Only Cat can confirm this for sure.

Right back at you then, Smiles: Do YOU recognise you're an indiscriminate and unjustified arsehole?

Liked

Quote Originally Posted by Smiles
    I wonder if 'flooders' recognize themselves as such?
    *like*
    i'm wishing this board had a "like" button for posts like in facebook.

Liked

I'm sorry, and maybe I'm wrong, but weren't you one of the guys complaining before because the board seemed to be dieing a slow death? And now you're complaining because there's too many posts? So what exactly would make you happy?

Assuming you're talking about BL, he's not flooding the board. He writes out 3 - 5 paragraph posts all the time, giving his view point and experiences. That's called contributing, not flooding. If you don't like him, the board does have an ignore feature...

Quote Originally Posted by cdnmatt
    I'm sorry, and maybe I'm wrong, but weren't you one of the guys complaining before because the board seemed to be dieing a slow death? And now you're complaining because there's too many posts? So what exactly would make you happy?
    Nothing - he is the resident curmudgeon of SGT. This is a man(?) who would post a 6 paragraph complaint if one if his Rice Krispies only snapped and crackled but didn't pop.

Quote Originally Posted by cdnmatt
    If you don't like him, the board does have an ignore feature...
    He has ignored so many people simply for disagreeing with him that the "Ignore" feature has been renamed the "Cat's Arse" feature in his honour.

:occasion9:

Liked

It could be worse.....There could be flooding at the Corner Bar.

[attachment=0:1c1rstvr]The Barmy Army.jpeg[/attachment:1c1rstvr]
    Attached Images Attached Images
    [color=#0000BF]why you no risson[/color]