Gay Vietnam
Gay World
Everything Else
FAQ & Help
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Foot massage tip

Liked

Foot massage tip

I am aware of tip prices for oil/cream body massages..
    I have not had a foot massage..
    What is a fair tip for an hour foot massage,,200 Baht ??
    I understand Thai's give 50bt or 100 bt....
    I don't want to be cheap for the service nor give excessive..
    Thanks

OH, do they also give back of head or neck massage or only the foot
    as I have such pain in my neck..thanks for the adivce..

Re: Foot massage tip

usually they some attention to neck and head. 50 baht is ok. More is better for them, of course.

Liked

they are happy with a tip of 100 bath.

and if you are Russian, they will be surprised if you tip.

Liked

they are happy with a tip of 100 bath. [sic]
    100 baht means that they won't actually starve to death that day. And the 60 baht commission from the shop's fee will go towards their rent.

I'm a big fan of chair massage and Thai massage, and over the years I've gotten to know a lot about the massage business. Unlike tourists, I understand that the money paid to the masseur is not a "tip". Because the commission is so low, what's paid directly to the masseur is the bulk of his income. Not once have I ever paid less than 200 for the "tip".

Liked

I admit to having smelly feet. When I give the boys a 50 baht tip they are more than happy.

Quote Originally Posted by mahjongguy
    they are happy with a tip of 100 bath. [sic]
    100 baht means that they won't actually starve to death that day. And the 60 baht commission from the shop's fee will go towards their rent.

I'm a big fan of chair massage and Thai massage, and over the years I've gotten to know a lot about the massage business. Unlike tourists, I understand that the money paid to the masseur is not a "tip". Because the commission is so low, what's paid directly to the masseur is the bulk of his income. Not once have I ever paid less than 200 for the "tip".
    You tip 200 baht even if the massage is only 100 baht (as is more and more common these days)?

Liked

You tip 200 baht even if the massage is only 100 baht (as is more and more common these days)?
    Usually more than 200.

What if the shop fee were 10 baht? Would you then, thinking like a tourist, tip them a generous 30%?

You have to set aside the Western idea of giving the waiter/driver/barber a bit extra to convey that you appreciate their effort. Massage shops keep most of the fee for themselves to pay the rent, laundry, etc. Thus, the masseurs are more like freelance workers, and you should pay them something that is a fair portion of what it takes for them to survive.

It's a different system from other countries. That's why I don't like the word "tip" in this situation.

It was a theoretical question -- I wasn't saying that I tip by percent.

But conversely, would you tip the same for a 100 baht foot massage in a side alley as you would for a 1,500 baht foot massage in a five-star hotel?

Is there some inherent reason that the masseur in the hotel deserves a higher tip for the same service, just because he works in a fancy establishment?

Liked

Quote Originally Posted by Oops I Did It Again
    It was a theoretical question -- I wasn't saying that I tip by percent.

But conversely, would you tip the same for a 100 baht foot massage in a side alley as you would for a 1,500 baht foot massage in a five-star hotel?

Is there some inherent reason that the masseur in the hotel deserves a higher tip for the same service, just because he works in a fancy establishment?
    Well i have always paid 100 Tip no matter what shop i go in to ,i think a 100 baht tip is good ,i have actually seen many Tourist only give them a 20 baht note which i think is far too low .

Liked

would you tip the same for a 100 baht foot massage in a side alley as you would for a 1,500 baht foot massage in a five-star hotel?
    Yes. I repeat, the money paid to the masseur has nothing to do with the shop's fee.

Well i have always paid 100 Tip no matter what shop i go in to ,i think a 100 baht tip is good ,i have actually seen many Tourist only give them a 20 baht note which i think is far too low .
    I don't think that 100 baht is enough, ever. And I pay no attention to what tourists pay; as with many things, they don't know what they're doing. I've seen a masseur burst into sad angry tears because some idiot gave him a 40 baht tip.