Gay Cambodia
Gay Vietnam
Gay World
Everything Else
FAQ & Help
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: HOW ARE FARANGS PERCEIVED BY THAIS IN GENERAL

HOW ARE FARANGS PERCEIVED BY THAIS IN GENERAL

I have been living in Thailand almost 3 years and I still cannot answer this question, can any of you?

Re: HOW ARE FARANGS PERCEIVED BY THAIS?

Quote Originally Posted by The Equalizer
    I have been living in Thailand almost 3 years and I still cannot answer this question, can any of you?
    The question itself begs for generalizations...is that really going to be useful? They think none of us can eat spicy food.

The bar boys seem to think we're all gullible: I love you, you're my boyfriend (after a day or two). "What about the pictures and love letters in your room from the Swedish guy?" He's just a friend. "Sure"

Re: HOW ARE FARANGS PERCEIVED BY THAIS IN GENERAL?

Quote Originally Posted by mlomker
    Quote Originally Posted by The Equalizer
    The question itself begs for generalizations...is that really going to be useful? They think none of us can eat spicy food.

The bar boys seem to think we're all gullible: I love you, you're my boyfriend (after a day or two). "What about the pictures and love letters in your room from the Swedish guy?" He's just a friend. "Sure"
    You are right it might be too broad. Perhaps one's own experiences would be better. Thanks but I had in mind the general public!

Liked

Re: HOW ARE FARANGS PERCEIVED BY THAIS?

I think this is a worthwhile question, something that I have asked myself and my Thai friend.
    Not sure how he perceives me but he once said " why you farang and not Thai same-same me"?.
    I took it as a complement.

Re: HOW ARE FARANGS PERCEIVED BY THAIS IN GENERAL

You would be wrong to generalize such a question.

The Thais are very adept at spotting the difference between low-lifes (such as those that inhabit the dark corners of Sunee Plaza and Tesco-Lotus mens' rooms) and those who are actually well-educated, well-mannered, and contributing to society.

And they do treat the two very differently indeed.

Quote Originally Posted by Singapore Sexpat

The Thais are very adept at spotting the difference between low-lifes (such as those that inhabit the dark corners of Sunee Plaza and Tesco-Lotus mens' rooms) and those who are actually well-educated, well-mannered, and contributing to society.

Especially if they are seen to be hanging around in open beer bars, drunk most of the time, and are known to treat the bar-boys with disdain.
    Farangs who run large businesses, pay taxes and employ a number of Thai's are as you say treated very differently, as are those that have retired in LOS and don't frequent the "seedier side of town" on a regular basis.

franscois Interesting comment!

Quote Originally Posted by sanook
    Quote Originally Posted by Singapore Sexpat

Especially if they are seen to be hanging around in open beer bars, drunk most of the time, and are known to treat the bar-boys with disdain.
    Farangs who run large businesses, pay taxes and employ a number of Thai's are as you say treated very differently, as are those that have retired in LOS and don't frequent the "seedier side of town" on a regular basis.[/quote

For the most part I Agree with you, but Thailand is not only Pattaya and perhaps other places and the people their have a different perception .

[quote="Singapore Sexpat"]You would be wrong to generalize such a question.

And they do treat the two very differently indeed.[/quote

Yes but I don not think Sunni Plaza typifies the rest of Thailand. Do you?

[quote=The Equalizer]
    Quote Originally Posted by "Singapore Sexpat":1ql3d329

And they do treat the two very differently indeed.[/quote

Yes but I don not think Sunni Plaza typifies the rest of Thailand. Do you?
    [/quote:1ql3d329]

No. Your point?

MY point is that Thais can tell the difference between a low-life farang and a decent farang -- and treat them accordingly. Therefore, there is no one way that "farangs are perceived by Thais in general".

If you can't understand, please get back to me and I'll draw you a diagram in crayola.