Gay Vietnam
Gay World
Everything Else
FAQ & Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: HEARING IMPAIRED?

Re: HEARING IMPAIRED?

Quote Originally Posted by hereforme
    Why do you think it is that anywhere in Thailand you go like Carrefour , Cenral, Bic C trucks passing by with loudspeakers even outdoor parties and concerts have music and people screaming into microphones at a volume that makes you want to cover your ears?
    Because Thais like it, obviously. If you don't, why don't you go home instead of griping about it?

What better than a "childish retort" to respond to a childish gripe?

Liked

[quote=hereforme]
    Quote Originally Posted by just a moment
    Quote Originally Posted by "Twat of All Twats":wtdwivua
    What better than a "childish retort" to respond to a childish gripe?

You are the expert, youтАЩre very childish :occasion9:
    Quite! And a rather slow child I suspect. :idea:[/quote:wtdwivua]

I rather expect that Boygeenyus was just that, a smart kid who just did not fit in. He excelled in all the academic subjects but could not make friends. He withdrew to himself and developed an abnormal personality. Eventually, he left USA in an attempt to find someplace where he could be accepted but ultimately his personality disorders often gets the best of him and he has to insult the hapless members of this forum just to connect with someone. He might have been an odd child, but not slow. Now, he's a pitiful misfit spending most of his time alone, poor guy.
    E Dok Tong

Liked

Obviously another pyjama clad corn flake eating sad, bitter and twisted case, hereforme has nothing better to with his time than to slag off at others.

Quote Originally Posted by TrongpaiExpat

I rather expect that Boygeenyus was just that, a smart kid who just did not fit in. He excelled in all the academic subjects but could not make friends. He withdrew to himself and developed an abnormal personality. Eventually, he left USA in an attempt to find someplace where he could be accepted but ultimately his personality disorders often gets the best of him and he has to insult the hapless members of this forum just to connect with someone. He might have been an odd child, but not slow. Now, he's a pitiful misfit spending most of his time alone, poor guy.
    LOL. You weren't a psychiatry major, were you?

Liked

Quote Originally Posted by Twat of All Twats
    Quote Originally Posted by hereforme
    Why do you think it is that anywhere in Thailand you go like Carrefour , Cenral, Bic C trucks passing by with loudspeakers even outdoor parties and concerts have music and people screaming into microphones at a volume that makes you want to cover your ears?
    [MOD: Pls consider deleting the previous 9 off-topic responses]

Because Thais like it, obviously.
    No doubt there are many Thais in the countryside whose lives are so quiet due to poverty that a sound truck is a welcome entertainment. In the cities, though, there's no reason to think that they enjoy being blasted. Thais put up with a lot of obnoxiousness in their lives because it's against their culture to confront people who are acting in antisocial ways. They've also gotten pretty hopeless about their ability to rein in bad actors of any kind who simply pay the cops for the right to continue doing whatever they're doing.

My personal reaction to these audio affronts is to wish that Santa would bring me one of those nifty M79 grenade launchers.

Liked

Quote Originally Posted by mahjongguy
    No doubt there are many Thais in the countryside whose lives are so quiet due to poverty that a sound truck is a welcome entertainment. In the cities, though, there's no reason to think that they enjoy being blasted. .
    I find rural Thailand more noise polluted than Bangkok. On my visits to the BF's family village the noise begins at 5 or 6 am not considering the dam roosters who starts at 3am. The BF's sister's husband keeps 4 or 5 roosters and no hens but denies (the wife prohibits him gambling) that they are fighting cocks. He gives them a bath and massage every day and at night takes one out for a walk, so he says. Being all next to each other they seem to compete who can crow the loudest.

Then there's the music, Issan music, coming from every house in the village. Some of the houses don't have electricity, so car batteries are connected to a audio amplifier and then connected to a big loud speaker. No two houses are playing the same song. There's one lady that uses a bull horn to speak to the neighbors who don't have cell phones. Latter, in one of the local stores I noticed a whole shelf devoted to amplified portable loud speakers and bull horns.

I stayed in a nice resort once in a National Park near Loei. At 6am I heard this lady on a bull horn in the grounds. I looked out and saw a group of students being led by a teacher who was addressing them with a bull horn connected to a battery so heavy that another teacher had to carry it for her. There were not more than 20 students, all in a confined area, and she needed voice amplification?

On one visit at New Years the local Wat blasted chanting and music until 6am. I was told it was for the men of the village only to pray. Last visit I noticed one of the local Monks driving around in his pick-up truck with three loud speakers mounted on the roof. Some lady, in non Wat clothing, was going around collecting money for the Wat while the Monk sat in the truck with the AC on and the speakers blaring music occasionally interrupted by him saying something in Issan in the loud speaker. Within the hour another truck with mounted loud speakers drove around with some political announcement.

It very common in Issan for discos to be located in the basement of hotels or right next to hotels. The walls vibrate from the sub-woofers. Thai seem oblivious to all the noise pollution and often seem confused when some farang seems not to like hearing music all night long. In some rural areas the local hotel is the short time hotel for the local karaoke bar. Isaan karaoke is played in open bars out of speakers the size of a car at nerve damaging levels.

So the question remains is this loudness part of the culture or do Thai's have less sensitive hearing? Maybe, living in a communal style makes them less sensitive to noise? They did not have amplifiers in years gone by and this was an introduced technology, I wonder why they took to them with such gusto?
    E Dok Tong

Forum's veteran
    Liked

Hehehe... that's funny. Especially the lady using a bullhorn to talk to neighbours.

It has nothing to do with poverty, it is simply a cultural difference that is common throughout much of Asia.

Noise = excitement. Even the Chinese word for "lively" translates directly as "hot and noisy". Noisy is lively. Noisy is fun.

Quote Originally Posted by Twat of All Twats
    Noisy is lively. Noisy is fun.
    Tell that to the Mayor of Hiroshima :laughing3: