Gay Vietnam
Gay World
Everything Else
FAQ & Help

Thread: NO FREE Thai tourist visas from March 5, 2010

Liked

NO FREE Thai tourist visas from March 5, 2010

No more free Thai tourist visas from March 5, 2010

BANGKOK: -- (THAIVISA.COM) The Ministry of Foreign Affairs in Bangkok, who oversees the Royal Thai Embassies and Consulates worldwide, today confirms to Thaivisa.com that visa fees will be levied for all visa classes from March 5, 2010. Tourist visas are valid for a 60 days stay and may be extended at local Thai Immigration offices.

Foreigners entering Thailand under the Tourist Visa Exemption category (free of charge) must possess return or onward ticket plus adequate finances for the duration of stay in Thailand (i.e., cash 10,000 Baht per person and 20,000 Baht per family). The permitted length of stay given is 30 days when entering via an International airport, or 15 days if entering through land border crossing or sea border.

Tourist Visa Exemption countries are: Australia, Austria, Belgium, Bahrain, Brunei Darussalam, Canada, Denmark, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Hong Kong, Iceland, Indonesia, Ireland, Israel, Italy, Japan, Korea, Kuwait, Luxembourg, Malaysia, Monaco, Netherlands, New Zealand, Norway, Oman, Philippines, Portugal, Qatar, Singapore, Spain, South Africa, Sweden, Switzerland, Turkey, United Arab Emirates, United Kingdom, United States of America and Vietnam.

Thailand holds bilateral agreements on visa exemption for holders of passports from Brazil, South Korea and Peru, and these passport holders are given a 90 days stay.

Citizens of Bhutan, China, Cyprus, Czech Republic, Estonia, Hungary, India, Kazakhstan, Latvia, Liechtenstein, Lithuania, Maldives, Mauritius, Oman, Poland, Russian Federation, Saudi Arabia, Slovakia, Slovenia, Taiwan and Ukraine who need to apply for a 15 day Visa on Arrival at designated checkpoints and Airports will again be charged from March 5, 2010.

Tourist visas has been issued free of charge since June 25, 2009 in an effort to revive the Thai travel and tourism industry.

As mentioned above, all Royal Thai Embassies and Consulates will start charging again for Tourist visas from March 5, 2010.

-- thaivisa.com 2010-02-04

Tj

Re: NO FREE Thai tourist visas from March 5, 2010

Quote Originally Posted by travelerjim

Foreigners entering Thailand under the Tourist Visa Exemption category (free of charge) must possess return or onward ticket plus adequate finances for the duration of stay in Thailand (i.e., cash 10,000 Baht per person )

10,000B takes care of the 1st night in BKK - what about the rest of the holiday?

:hello1: :hello1: :hello1:

Liked

I thought they previously mentioned they were going to continue offering free VISAs throughout 2010? They've changed their mind now?

So I guess if you want a new tourist VISA, best time to go is March 6th, eh? No lineups, and waiting around for people who are too dense to follow three simple steps, and fill out a one page form correctly. That's actually one of my pet peeves now. Sitting around some embassy for 2 or 3 hours, just so I can spend 20 seconds at the window handing in my paperwork.

Forum's veteran Brad the Impala's Avatar
    Liked

Quote Originally Posted by scottish-guy
    Quote Originally Posted by travelerjim

Foreigners entering Thailand under the Tourist Visa Exemption category (free of charge) must possess return or onward ticket plus adequate finances for the duration of stay in Thailand (i.e., cash 10,000 Baht per person )

10,000B takes care of the 1st night in BKK - what about the rest of the holiday?
    They clearly preferred to base their policy on history rather than aspiration.

I wonder if they were influenced by the Honorary Consuls who rely on visa fees to make a living? Several of these had started imposing an "administration fee" for issuing visas.

Liked

Quote Originally Posted by cdnmatt
    " ... That's actually one of my pet peeves now. Sitting around some embassy for 2 or 3 hours, just so I can spend 20 seconds at the window ... "
    So do it by mail. You'll get your visa, nailed into your passport, a few days after they receive the application.
    Just another reason why I love living in Thailand