Gay Cambodia
Gay Vietnam
Gay World
Everything Else
FAQ & Help
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Chiang Mai Review Nov-Dec 2009

Chiang Mai Review Nov-Dec 2009

I stayed at the Lavender Lanna Hotel. It is in a different area than I stayed previously and very near the moat around the old city. Many tuk-tuk drivers only knew it by the previous hotel name I Tokyo. I found it to be a convenient point to walk around the old city. I especially enjoyed the Sunday Walking Street. It is also a short ride to the vibrant Night Bazaar area. I found it to be a good central location and also liked that it was near a large shopping mall with Farang restaurants and movies.

Although the hotel room was a bit dark, it was comfortable. The bed was more comfortable than most, had a nice size bathroom, small couch, nice flat screen TV and was quiet with a nice view of the city. The staff was helpful and still learning. They provide free nightly shuttles to the other bars. The hotel also has a massage spa and nice pool area where the massage boys hung out.

The hotel breakfast was basic with an ok selection of eggs (fried and scrambled with both cold), a few Thai dishes, fried rice and plain rice, toast, and fruit.

I thought that one guy who was EXTREMELY helpful to me and normally around the entrance or front desk was the manager. He would ask me where I wanted to go, give me information or suggestions, talk to the staff to help me, arrange for the shuttle, and was just very helpful. Then I learned he was a Tuk-Tuk driver that had worked at reception at a BKK hotel. I think he should be the manager as I never met the real manager but this guy did the job just fine and better than most. He was very personable.

THE BARS

Please note that my preference is for muscular athletic guys and my comments are based accordingly.

On my first night I had a drink in the downstairs Power Boys Go Go club and saw many nice boys although they were not to my preference. They had reasonable drink prices, not pushy, and had an excellent show which I found to be better than the other places I visited in CM and also from a dancing and singing POV, better than any show I have seen in BKK.

I then took the free shuttle to the Circle Pub which was not far away. The layout or perhaps where they seated me was not great for viewing. The show as just ok, nothing special. The 10-12 boys paraded by a bit too quickly, most with shirts on and wee various types. The boys had small name tags. I offed a well-built Burmese boy and we had a good time. There were some good looking guys here.

The next night I walked to the New My Way which is not far from the hotel. Again, I found the club just ok. The 12-15 boys had numbers and the club had reasonably priced drinks. The show was a bit better than Circle Pub and was entertaining. The Captain was helpful. I chose a tall guy to sit with me and had a decent conversation (in Thai) but did not off him. They did have the boys on stage a bit longer so I could at least get a better idea about them. They had a decent variety.

I also visited the newly opened Adams Apple. It was poorly designed for visibility as some seats are set back in so the side wall blocks your view. I guess it may be good or bad depending what you plan to do in your seat. Drinks were reasonably priced at 160 baht which seemed to be the same at each club. The club had about 20 boys and a much better variety than the other clubs and a few more muscular guys than the other clubs. There was absolutely no pushiness on either drinks or offs. There were also more farangs at this bar than the others and at 10 PM all the wall seats were taken. Similar to the other clubs in CM, the boys circulate rather quickly. They had numbers. I did not off anyone but if I had stayed longer in CM, I would have come back to this club to off and would go to the Powers Boys to enjoy the show.

I did not visit any of the massage places but there are many available. I tried the massage at the hotel and chose from 12-15 guys. Most were smaller twinky types. I had the 1 ┬╜ hours massage with minimum tip of 700 baht. My guy was very pleasant, decent massage, and took very good care of me including a final scrub in the shower. It was very convenient as we just walked back to my room after I selected him.

I tried a variety of restaurants including MiguelтАЩs for Mexican, and then near the night bazaar the large German restaurant and Dukes. I tried several different meals at Dukes and was very happy with each of them.

Overall I found CM a very different atmosphere from BKK. It is much more subdued and they appeared to be more used to handling Thai customers than Farangs. They were not the least bit pushy, but instead seemed to be at the other end with me having to get their attention if I wanted something or someone.

Next time I will try visiting the massage places and revisit the bars I liked.

Re: Chiang Mai Review Nov-Dec 2009

The New Adams Apple was very good. Their show had a nice variety and all fairly low key as I recall. The boys would come out in small groups at a time for the acts. They also had a nice rhythm to the rotation so before and after the show you could see all the guys as they paraded around the show floor. They also did a good job of rotating around the room. Layout was basically seats down both sides and a series of small chest high tables back at the end in front of the bar. There were also seating type areas right next to the stage but when I was there they were not being used. It is definitely worth checking out.

Thanks for the informative post. I'm planning a trip soon. I think you'll like the massage places on your next visit. The CM vibe is so different than BKK or Pattaya, the city relatively clean and well laid out. Great restaurants- I love Dukes!- and the guys there seem so sweet and not too cynical. I also like that I don't seem to run into as many katoeys as is the norm elsewhere. If Issan is 'poor farmboy central' then CM is 'farmboy middle class', at least, that's the feel I get.

Forum's veteran
    Liked

I think Chiang Mai boys are the cutest... don't know why... but this part of Thailand seems to produce the most han-sam boys.

Pchy is a Chiang Mai boy...

Yes, very cute, more reserved, and also more polite than BKK or Pattaya working boys. Sometimes I wonder if geography has something to do with it. I'm guessing that most of the CM boys are from that city, or not far from it. They are pretty much working in their home territory, no need to travel 13 hours on a bus to get to the unreality, the un-Thainess, of sex-haven Pattaya. So the CM boys feel at home, perhaps even a bit proud of living in a city that has always been attracting tourists not for sex, but because of the traditions of Thai culture and the somewhat healthier ambience of the city. The Pattaya Issan boys are in a sense strangers in their own land, lacking the proximity of kinship support, unable to pretend that most people come to Pattaya for anything other than sex.

Both you guys (BL and Bob) are right on the mark. When you get right down to it, the type of guy who is willing to travel far from home for work is bound to be a little more world-savvy and interested in money, a bit more cynical and opportunistic.

They also might not be as good looking and figure they need to go where the action is. Good looking, sweet faced boys in CM can get work there. They are most likely, because of their stabler lifestyle close to home, not yaba or other drug/alcohol) abusers, which many have blamed for the poor skin and appearance of the working boys in the big cities. Let's not forget that so much of what makes someone sweetfaced and good looking is a solid upbringing and a good family background.

Liked

Hello and tks so much for all these infos.
    The titel of your report mentions "Nov-Dec 2009". Did you stay two months in CM ? always in the Lavender Hotel ? and how much are the rooms ?
    I am planning a 3 months stay for the autumn.
    Tks in advance for your kind answer. K.

Liked

I found Chaing Mai a much more refreshing place than Bangkok or Pattaya and as i dont swim in the sea i loved the different ambience of the Mountains and country rather than a dirty old beach in Pattaya.
    I stayed at the Dusit D2 which is more exspensive than most other hotels in the city but i loved the place and as i only holiday now about every 12 - 18 months the cost was no problem.
    The guys i met were very nice and in fact for a few days met this guy from the University and he showed me arround places i hadnt been before and stayed with me for 5 nights. Lovely most affectionate person i have met on my travels, still e -mail and skype him 3 years latter.
    If asked i would recomend Chaing Mai over any other place in Thailand for a holiday, but everyone is different and it might not appeal to all. But give it a try for a few days and i think most will be pleasantly supprised.
    I spoke into his eyes. " I thought you died a long,-- a long long time ago".
    " OH NO! not me, i never lost control, your face to face with the Man who sold the world"

KUKU - I was only in Chiang Mai for one week. The rooms at the Lanna Lavender hotel varied - I think I had the Superior room which was fine for me and was 1150 baht per night and included breakfast.

Forum's veteran
    Liked

Thanks for your review New2009.

I'm considering a short visit to CM during my Spring holiday and really like the looks of the Lavender Lanna. Here's a link to their website:

http://www.lavenderlannahotel.com/facilities.htm

The rates look very reasonable considering the amentities, and from you say, the location sounds great as well.

Can you describe the Night Bazaar? Any gogo bars/boy beer bars in that area?

Also...has anyone here ever taken the train to CM versus flying?