Gay Vietnam
Gay World
Everything Else
FAQ & Help
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: 3 small gems in Chiang Mai ...

Liked

3 small gems in Chiang Mai ...

Myself and Himself took the vapours at Chiang Mai recently, the denouement to the Grand Trek to Sukhothai (Loy Kratong) and Doi Inthanon (enlightenment).
    We ended up being feted by a couple of Board members in the guise of 'Bob' (well known for being the lone defender of the Zionist Conspiracy on Baht Stop) and 'Richard' (who's lived in Chiang Mai for only a few months but Knows All ... or at least has credible theories of 'All').
    Extraordinarily pleasant companions both, but for the purpose of this post I shall keep it at the level of 'Informational' ... our conversations being so dark and disturbing with Chiang Mai insider politics, and depressing in my newly found knowledge that one of these gentleman had apparently come down with a touch of the Hypochondria: i.e. he took one look at me as I entered the portals of his luxury condo in a distinctly upper crust part of town and immediately decided he had contracted the dread H1N1 Flu. My face seems to do that to folks.

But I digress: 'The Three Small Gems':

(#1) When you are in Chiang Mai, please do yourself a great big favour and take dinner at a lovely little restaurant named 'Sabai Dee'. Now there is probably 3 million restaurants in Thailand (and San Fran and Vancouver) with that name, but this particular one was quite a treat.
    First of all, the food was reasonably priced and so good to the taste that it disturbs me to think I'll have to travel all the way north to Lanna country just to try it again. And that goes generally for all the food on the table: my friends not being lovers of spicy food some of the dishes were not of my choosing, but it did not matter ... Sabai Dee did them all well. Luckily we had one Thai man there who stuffed all the chillies he could into his own choices and pronounced the place "good taste".
    But the ambiance and decor of the place is inspired. A big fish pond (with fish to see, not eat) reside under the bar area, and the theme travels upwards to the bar itself where small fish float happily along underneath one's beer mug. Sounds hokey, but it works.
    Terrific romantic lighting, lovely antiques placed in unusual spots, old teak folding doors, a hong nam which is, er, 'unique', and takes some getting used to.
    The charm of just sitting in Sabai Dee for an hour or so is well worth the trouble of finding the place. (Please PM 'Bob' on this Board for directions. We drove there and I haven't a clue as to where we were. Perhaps Bob has a biz card and can relay the address).

(#2) Shoved off for drinks at the 'Soho Bar' and stayed there for an hour or so ... the mood interrupted only by my guy having to leave with a burst stomach ulcer from the previously mentioned pile-on of chillies at Sabai Dee. Or perhaps it was Bob coughing his H1N1 tainted viruses all over us on a regular basis.

But what a cute little bar this is. Quite small, very effusive and friendly staff, and a continual flow of Very Cute Guys (all customers, not host boys) lounging around on bar chairs at the front, and big comfy sofas and low intimate chairs and little coffee tables at the back.
    If you want to be alone for a dark quiet drink, or if you want to meet Chiang Mai Thai guys not wearing tank tops or who's boxer underwear is not easily grabbable, then you could do much worse than Soho Bar. Once again ... not a clue where it is, but I'm sure everyone who lives in Chiang Mai, or travels there frequently, knows it.

(#3) This next place has no name that I'm aware of, but it's on the Taepae Gate side of the ring road which traverses along the outside of Chiang Mai's beautiful moat. It's located most romantically right next to a big Petronus Gas Station . . . so the best way to find it is to look for the huge Petronas sign.

If the sublime breakfast/lunch Thai dish of 'Khao Mun Gai' (phonetic spelling) is your (almost) daily pleasure ~ which it is mine ~ then hunt this place down and luxuriate in the simplest, most-delicious-when-done-right plate of boiled chicken on top of steamed rice with a sublime sauce and a bowel of fragrant chicken broth ... all for 30 baht.

Amongst my numerous ongoing gastronomic quests is the one to find (and devour) the Best Khao Mun Gai in Thailand. I once thought I'd found it in a little hole in the wall underneath the On Nut Skytrain Station in Bangkok, and in fact Hua Hin has two places which almost match that . . . but the Buddha's finger has touched this joint in Chiang Mai: beautifully tender (and fat!) slivers of juicy white chicken meat placed neatly along a plate of piping hot rice (a rarity!), the boiling technique of the chicken is very important for it to come out like this. The broth is strong ... unlike some Khao Mun Gai shops where it's mostly hot water with little pieces of chicken floating around. But this dish needs the sauce: it's always different shades of brown, but the best places make their own, and it's always just a little bit different. The Chiang Mai connection variation is as good as it gets (my Thai guy says it is and I concurred as we sat nodding in approval at each other) and it took him to drag me away from ordering an entire second plate. That's never happened before.

Do yourself a huge favour while in Thailand: say "mai ouw" to the cornflakes, the fried eggs, the lousy bacon, the cold pancakes, the atrocious toast ... and get thee to a local Khao Mun Gai stall for breakfast. They're all over the place . . . you'll know them by the four or five chicken cadavers hanging under glass and some old lady furiously chopping away at the white meat.
    You'll never go back to the god awful 'American Breakfast', or the even worse 'English' variation.

Just another reason why I love living in Thailand

Liked: 1

Re: 3 small gems in Chiang Mai ...

Thanks for that as i will be in Chiang Mai from the 21st december and never been there i will look these places up

Liked

Quote Originally Posted by Smiles
    and immediately decided he had contracted the dread H1N1 Flu. My face seems to do that to folks.
    Nope, just a nasty head cold and some bronchitis, proudly earned at a party with copious bottles of Sangsom celebrating the last night of the Paradise (at the peak) bar a few nights before. Alas, the "peak" bars are no more, Chang (the beer magnate who bought the land) finally having decided to kick out all of its tenants. I presume they intend to build something there soon although I have no clue if it might be the 4/5 start hotel previously rumored (as if Chiangmai needs another hotel....not).

By the way, while visiting Chiangmai Ram for the ailments, it was they who insisted on both a swine flu test and a beauty test. Both came back negative.

Sabai Dee'
    Ahaan Tai (restaurant) Sabai Dee. I have no clue about the address but it's next to (and maybe owned by) the Santitham Guest House that's maybe two kilometers or so north of the northwest corner of the old city. If you're engaging a tuktuk to go there, you better ask for the guest house as, like Smiles said, there are number of "Sabai Dee" restaurants around town. Alternatively, google "Santitham Guest House" and they have a printable map.

'Soho Bar'[/b]
    Yes, relatively quiet and friendly drinking/conversation bar that's on the north side of Huay Kaew opposite the Chiangmai Orchid Hotel (which is 300 meters or so west of the mall known as Kad Suan Kaew or Centran). Polite and friendly staff and generally friendly customers. Gay-owned and staffed (but don't take that to mean they're "offable" as at least some are not).

This next place has no name that I'm aware of, but it's on the Taepae Gate side of the ring road which traverses along the outside of Chiang Mai's beautiful moat.
    Smiles is rather directionally challenged but, in any event, directions like this are somewhat similar to telling you that a restaurant is somewhere on the east side of Chicago. Good luck in finding this one!

When i was in Chiang Mai last month I had a chance to go to both the Soho Bar and Sabai Dee.

I absolutely agree that Sabai Dee is a very good Restaurant. The food is very reasonably priced and great taste. The decor is very pleasing. I will be going back during my trip next week.

Soho bar is less than a 5 minute walk from Lavender Lana Hotel. If you need a motor bike or internet service Buddy's Internet is a bout 1 block from Soho and most people in that area of town know where Buddy's is. The guys that work at Soho speak good English and Popy one of the bartenders is really fun to talk with. Soho is open early in the afternoon as a coffee spot also.

Smiles gave very good tips I feel

Liked

I like the Urinal in the bathroom of the Sabai Dee restaurant.

E Dok Tong

Liked

Ahaan Tai (restaurant) Sabai Dee. I have no clue about the address but it's next to (and maybe owned by) the Santitham Guest House that's maybe two kilometers or so north of the northwest corner of the old city. If you're engaging a tuktuk to go there, you better ask for the guest house as, like Smiles said, there are number of "Sabai Dee" restaurants around town. Alternatively, google "Santitham Guest House" and they have a printable map.
    Look for this sign. Not far from the Adam's Apple. It's very dark at night and not easy to see. No off street parking.

E Dok Tong

Forum's veteran Brad the Impala's Avatar
    Liked

Amongst my numerous ongoing gastronomic quests is the one to find (and devour) the Best Khao Mun Gai in Thailand.
    I love my Khao Mun Gai too, and the best that I have had is at the curiously named Briley's, at Aroonsom Plaza(landward side), Patong. Been going for almost ten years now, and not only are the chicken and the sauce the best, but the young girls working there are friendly and enjoying their work. They were joined last year by a "sensitive" and cute young lad, who had lasted only a couple of nights as a gogo guy in Paradise, before deciding it wasn't for him.

Look out for the Briley sign over the shopfront though, as another Khao Mun Gai restaurant has opened three doors away, and while quite good, it doesn't come close to Brileys.

Liked

Yes, and i'll go along with the votes for Soho. More a place to go with your friend/faen rather than a pick-up joint...very laid back and friendly....it was not far from PJs Place where we were staying...and by the way, i still highly recommend...no 'lottery with the rooms' there as they are all immaculate.

In Soho you can sit near the entrance where the bar is and engage in conversation with the very friendly staff and some of the customers...who did not spend half the time leering at your Thai faen as you find in the Pattaya bars. But the sofas at the back are nice to sit with a couple of spot-on Singapore Slings and your beloved and either start the evening...or as we did most nights......finish up the evening before heading for PJs.

Only issue I'll take up with Smiles is more one relating to breakfast preferences. Despite the many years of visiting Thailand and eating/trying/passing-on.....all kinds of 'delicious' Issan food such the as raw bloody liver strips dipped in what appeared to be the spiciest chilli mix made possible (i passed) but i eat bugs(if freshly cooked and hot) and anything as long as it is cooked.......i still cannot eat Thai food as my first meal of the day.... aka...breakfast if before 12 noon....and especially if i've just got up.

My guy can open the fridge and woolf down the remenants of last nights pappaya pok pok or whatever.....but i cannot eat even freshly made spicy or chicken-rice style Thai breakfast fare.....first thing in the morning i just can't look at it. If out in the 'sticks' at my guys village, my guy can whip up a great omelete, so i'll have that or yoghurts and the like.......and if in a city and i fancy a british style.....i only go to places i can get lean back bacon...along with tomato and eggs and brown toast is a nice change...it doesn't need to be swimming in fat and taste like crap Smiles! just be selective in what you choose to eat. At all other times i can eat just about anything Thai served up to me...it is just breakfast that turns my stomach a bit.....don't know why...i have tried!

I suppose if you move to Thailand or stay for long peroids of time you would probably get to enjoy Thai breakfast fare. I'm not sure if i'm alone with the breakfast thing or not.

Liked

Quote Originally Posted by Brad the Impala

Amongst my numerous ongoing gastronomic quests is the one to find (and devour) the Best Khao Mun Gai in Thailand.
    I love my Khao Mun Gai too, and the best that I have had is at the curiously named Briley's, at Aroonsom Plaza(landward side), Patong. Been going for almost ten years now, and not only are the chicken and the sauce the best,
    This?
    Khao Mun Gai

All seems pretty much the same to me no matter where it's served. Pretty much a standard Thai stable with at the most slight variations in quality/quantity from one place to the next.
    E Dok Tong

Forum's veteran Brad the Impala's Avatar
    Liked

Quote Originally Posted by TrongpaiExpat
    Quote Originally Posted by Brad the Impala

I love my Khao Mun Gai too, and the best that I have had is at the curiously named Briley's, at Aroonsom Plaza(landward side), Patong. Been going for almost ten years now, and not only are the chicken and the sauce the best,
    This?
    Khao Mun Gai

All seems pretty much the same to me no matter where it's served. Pretty much a standard Thai stable with at the most slight variations in quality/quantity from one place to the next.
    That's it. Simple food, but you find huge variety in my opinion in the quality of the chicken, the sauce and the broth. Office workers queue at Briley's at lunchtime, while the adjoining venue, serving the same dish, always has tables and chicken available, while Briley's sells out by mid afternoon.

Alaan, this is an easy meal, if you have difficulty with thai food for your first food of the day.