List of forums
Gay Thailand
Gay Cambodia
Gay Vietnam
Gay World
Everything Else
FAQ & Help
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Anyone visited Southern Thailand near Malaysia?

Forum's veteran
    Liked

Anyone visited Southern Thailand near Malaysia?

A lot of you guys seem to visit your BF's family in Isaan and other areas on Northern Thailand.

Has anyone visited Southern Thailand near Malaysia? I mean provinces like Surat Thani, Pattani, Hat Yai, Songkhla.

I'm curious... how would you describe the area? Do you think it's too dangerous to visit?

Liked

Re: Anyone visited Southern Thailand near Malaysia?

I already visited Surat Thani, Nakhon Sri Thammarat and Songkhla provinces - although not for long trips.
    There is no more security problems than in other parts of Thailand, except in the three southernmost provinces -Narathiwat Yala Pattani - and the southern part of Songkhla province.
    Lots of desert beaches and nice people in the area, beautiful boys and a quite intreresting - although very tame by even Phuket standards - gay scene in Hat Yai.
    The only problem is that most of the year is very rainy so you must carefully choose the time where you will go there.
    More on my blog at : llz.blogspot.com

Forum's veteran
    Liked

Thanks llz... that's helpful to know.

Someone told me in Pattani there are bombings every day... Songkhra is ok but the insurgency is slowly creeping North.

Sounds like a beautiful area... one boy told me, "my home not like here... is beautiful... swimming can see fish [does this cute snorkeling mask movement with his hands]".

Have you been to Hat Yai?

Forum's veteran
    Liked

throughout the years i have visited each and every of Thailands 76 chiangwats=provinces. As above, like ilz, explains, only the most southern, notably Pattani and Yala, are bomb/terror/ etc. prone and better avoided for the mo. If this would even include the railline HYai-southeast toward Sungai Kolok is up to you-the main aim of bombers seem to be anything related to Thai govmt-and the SRT is undoubtedly a Thai Govt. thing, as are schools and post etc.
    Tourists mainly go the the south for its many pristine beaches and islands. I am not that much interested in that-look in anyguidebook or mainstream travellerfora for more info. For the rest it does not differ too much from any provincial Thai surroundings-but the food maybe different for truly Isan-hooked fans and there tend to be more Chinese.
    HYai is a prime weekend haunt for Malays (read chinese) seeking short-time pleasures. In this field there is also a quite hidden gay proportion available. The city itself is not notable at all-the 13 in the dozen overloud, overbusy looks everywhere the same tipical Thai province town. It also used to be a favorite stop for the longertime Thai farang doing visaruns-but that was before Cambodia/Laos opened up for that. The railline south from HYai into Malaysia-border padang Besar and on to Butterworth/KUL is not in danger.

Forum's veteran Brad the Impala's Avatar
    Liked

All good advice above. Just to add that I particularly took to Songkla. For a provincial capital it is relaxing, and the people are friendly in a natural Thai way. There was a good breeze off the sea, and a good beach that was a peaceful place. The place just had a good atmosphere. It is also a university town, and has a navy base. I remember thinking "I could live here".

Liked

Yes, but what about the sex? I'm over 74 years old and just adore sex with 18 year olds. Do these legal boys know how to please a man of older age?

Forum's veteran
    Liked

Quote Originally Posted by pong
    throughout the years i have visited each and every of Thailands 76 chiangwats=provinces. As above, like ilz, explains, only the most southern, notably Pattani and Yala, are bomb/terror/ etc. prone and better avoided for the mo. If this would even include the railline HYai-southeast toward Sungai Kolok is up to you-the main aim of bombers seem to be anything related to Thai govmt-and the SRT is undoubtedly a Thai Govt. thing, as are schools and post etc.
    Tourists mainly go the the south for its many pristine beaches and islands. I am not that much interested in that-look in anyguidebook or mainstream travellerfora for more info. For the rest it does not differ too much from any provincial Thai surroundings-but the food maybe different for truly Isan-hooked fans and there tend to be more Chinese.
    HYai is a prime weekend haunt for Malays (read chinese) seeking short-time pleasures. In this field there is also a quite hidden gay proportion available. The city itself is not notable at all-the 13 in the dozen overloud, overbusy looks everywhere the same tipical Thai province town. It also used to be a favorite stop for the longertime Thai farang doing visaruns-but that was before Cambodia/Laos opened up for that. The railline south from HYai into Malaysia-border padang Besar and on to Butterworth/KUL is not in danger.
    Thanks Pong... nice to know it's reasonably safe. That was my main concern.

I didn't know there was any gay scene in Hat Yai... I guess it is more for locals though.

Forum's veteran
    Liked

Quote Originally Posted by Brad the Impala
    All good advice above. Just to add that I particularly took to Songkla. For a provincial capital it is relaxing, and the people are friendly in a natural Thai way. There was a good breeze off the sea, and a good beach that was a peaceful place. The place just had a good atmosphere. It is also a university town, and has a navy base. I remember thinking "I could live here".
    Thanks... nice to hear Songkhla City has a nice seaside and pleasant atmosphere.

I heard Hat Hai is the 4th largest city in Thailand.

Forum's veteran
    Liked

Darn... Smart Traveler (Australian Government website) advises not to travel to the Songkhla Province (amongst 3 others)... anyone have any comments on this?

http://www.smartraveller.gov.au/zw-cgi/ ... e/thailand

Quote Originally Posted by Beachlover
    Darn... Smart Traveler (Australian Government website) advises not to travel to the Songkhla Province (amongst 3 others)... anyone have any comments on this?

http://www.smartraveller.gov.au/zw-cgi/ ... e/thailand
    My first thought is that if it means there are going to be fewer Australians there, it's all that more attractive a destination.