Gay World
Everything Else
FAQ & Help

Thread: Criminal background checks

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Liked: 1

Re: Criminal background checks

The other thing that you should know Matt is that your chances of getting a visitors visa is very very low. Your chance of sponsoring him for a permanent move is substantially higher, pretty good if you can establish that you are in a common law relationship.

Liked

Quote Originally Posted by Registered View Post
    The other thing that you should know Matt is that your chances of getting a visitors visa is very very low. Your chance of sponsoring him for a permanent move is substantially higher, pretty good if you can establish that you are in a common law relationship.
    No, getting him permanent residency status is by no means easier. I know, I was able to get my first husband who was Hungarian approved for PR status. It took about 18 months, 6 inches of documentation, and around $8000.

I know what I'm in for, and am certain I can get him granted a visitor VISA. From there, we'll just see how he takes to Canada. Personally, I would prefer to stay in Asia, but we'll see how he takes to Canadian society and culture, as he's never experienced culture schock before. Who knows, maybe he decides he loves Canada and wants to go to university there, which will come with a whole new set of problems, but nothing that's impossible. Maybe he will find Canada very cold and isolating of a society (my guess), and will want to live in Vientiane and just visit a couple times a year to see my family.

Liked

MATT:
    [QUOTE=cdnmatt;238664]No, getting him permanent residency status is by no means easier. I know, I was able to get my first husband who was Hungarian approved for PR status. It took about 18 months, 6 inches of documentation, and around $8000.

You do realise Matt, that you can't get PR for an unlimited number of husbands - depending on your whims? Aren't there enough people living on the public purse in Canada, without you bringing in more? Who will it be after Leo?

4. User who gave Like to post:

christianpfc (March 25th, 2018)

Liked

[QUOTE=mr giggles;238697]MATT:
    Quote Originally Posted by cdnmatt View Post
    No, getting him permanent residency status is by no means easier. I know, I was able to get my first husband who was Hungarian approved for PR status. It took about 18 months, 6 inches of documentation, and around $8000.

You do realise Matt, that you can't get PR for an unlimited number of husbands - depending on your whims? Aren't there enough people living on the public purse in Canada, without you bringing in more? Who will it be after Leo?

No, my first husband is in Budapest. He's not allowed back in Canada, because he didn't reside there 2 out of every 5 years, effectively flushing his PR status down the toilet.

Getting Leo PR status isn't really on the table at the moment. I'll get him a visitor VISA first, so we can go visit my family, and we'll just see how to takes to Canadian society. I'm 50/50 on it, as to whether he'll like Canada, or breath a huge sigh of relief upon getting back to Asia. It's his life dream to visit Canada though, plus I want to see my family, so I'll take him. Besides, I need his eyes to travel like that.

If he does like it, we'll see about getting him enrolled at a university there, most likely in Toronto. He'll probably have to take a couple years at adult high school to get a GED, but nothing that's impossible. First though, he needs to advance his English, which we're working on.

Liked

Oh, and no, I won't be able to get him into Canada under common law. I have a much better chance getting him in under medical reasons due to me being blind, and the fact he acts as my eyes in this life. Plus I'm going very far out of my way to go 300% above the minimum requirements of a visitor VISA.

We'll be fine, and I'm not too worried about that. Getting him PR status though requires us to be legally married in Canada, which I'm fine with, but again, all depends on how he takes to Canadian society. That, and Canadian law stipulates we need to reside in Canada for 2 out of every 5 years in order to retain PR status, and I'm uncertain if we'd do that. Personally, I would prefer to stay in Asia, but if he decides on Canada, then I'll think about it.