List of forums
Gay Thailand
Gay Cambodia
Gay Vietnam
Gay World
Everything Else
FAQ & Help
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Announcing New Boy Bar in Boyztown area Pattaya..

Liked

Re: Announcing New Boy Bar in Boyztown area Pattaya..

I remember being at Dongtan beach long ago, when Covid wasn't even a glimmer in a Chinese bat's eye, and overhearing a conversation between two farangs seated in the row in front of me. They were talking about owning gay bars and the risks involved. Finally one of them indicated the sea with a vague sweep of his arm and said something like, 'I'd rather throw my money out there, at least there's a chance that the tide might send some of it back to me.'

2. 2 Users gave Like to post:

goji (October 9th, 2021), Manforallseasons (October 8th, 2021)

Liked

Quote Originally Posted by snotface View Post
    I remember being at Dongtan beach long ago, when Covid wasn't even a glimmer in a Chinese bat's eye, and overhearing a conversation between two farangs seated in the row in front of me. They were talking about owning gay bars and the risks involved. Finally one of them indicated the sea with a vague sweep of his arm and said something like, 'I'd rather throw my money out there, at least there's a chance that the tide might send some of it back to me.'
    It has some appeal as a final business venture after a life of dreary graft - especially if you've had a nice little inheritance or other windfall to play with, that exceeds your retirement needs - money to play with.

As a get rich quick scheme - forget it..

4. 2 Users gave Like to post:

goji (October 9th, 2021), Manforallseasons (October 8th, 2021)

Liked

Quote Originally Posted by Manforallseasons View Post
    ….
    Is this a new bar or an old bar refurbished and renamed? They have been pushing it's 'opening in a few days' for months every day on Facebook.
    Whatever --- good luck to them. They really don't need uninformed advice from armchair experts on running a business in Thailand.

6. 2 Users gave Like to post:

Dodger (October 8th, 2021), Ruthrieston (October 9th, 2021)

Liked

And yet Zac has expanded his bar in Jomtien and Cockatoo also does very well. In Sunee, Winner Bar does good business as does Nice Boys. And Boyztown, X-boys has been there for about 15 years and Toy Boys is going strong.

The moral here is if you get it right there's no reason your venture will fail.

8. 6 Users gave Like to post:

andyk45 (October 9th, 2021), dab69 (October 9th, 2021), Dodger (October 8th, 2021), goji (October 9th, 2021), Patanawet (October 8th, 2021), Ruthrieston (October 9th, 2021)

Liked

Quote Originally Posted by arsenal View Post
    The moral here is if you get it right there's no reason your venture will fail.
    Does 'getting it right' include over loud music from a different generation to most of the customers?

I don't know why so many bars think men with an average age of fifty or more want their eardrums assaulted..

10. User who gave Like to post:

Oliver2 (October 8th, 2021)

Forum's veteran Manforallseasons's Avatar
    Liked

Quote Originally Posted by Old git View Post
    Does 'getting it right' include over loud music from a different generation to most of the customers?

I don't know why so many bars think men with an average age of fifty or more want their eardrums assaulted..
    Average 50, maybe in BKK closer to 65+ in Pattaya/Jomtien.
    "In the land of the blind the one eyed man is king"

Liked

Quote Originally Posted by catawampuscat View Post
    It is a leap of faith to open a new boybar on Pattayaland soi 2, and there is a fairly high probability of failure and loss of money.
    My personal view is it’s short sighted and foolish but I’m glad someone has the conviction that it will succeed. Optimism trumps
    pessimism but can still be foolish. Time will tell.
    It is "short sight" only if someone wants to make money there. But if it is his/her "new toy", why not then? May be his motivation is just "boooooooring!!!"
    Bali (Indonesia), Cambodia, Myanmar, Philippines, Thailand, Vietnam and Laos: gay guides and companions http://siamroads.com

13. 3 Users gave Like to post:

catawampuscat (October 8th, 2021), christianpfc (October 8th, 2021), Dodger (October 9th, 2021)

Liked

"Does 'getting it right' include over loud music from a different generation to most of the customers?

I don't know why so many bars think men with an average age of fifty or more want their eardrums assaulted.."

Quite frankly Old Git they could play Russian funeral music at top volume if it meant that after 19 months away I could sit in Nice Boys with one of em draped naked all over me.

15. 3 Users gave Like to post:

aussie (October 9th, 2021), Brad the Impala (October 9th, 2021), Dodger (October 9th, 2021)

Forum's veteran
    Liked

Heavy duty ear plugs may be a solution oldgit

Liked

Quote Originally Posted by arsenal View Post
    with one of em draped naked all over me.
    You don't even need to go to a bar at all for that. I'm with Old git. Unless the bars do things to attract customers - and for sure not do things that will drive them away - then once they reopen it will be "deja vu all over again" - meaning it won't take long for the bars to be in the same boat they were in before Covid when it was bars closing right and left and very few customers in most of the ones that were still surviving. I don't think that's what any of us want.

While we're all talking about how we hope the bars soon can open again, once they do reopen now it becomes the bar owners' responsibility to see to it that they stay open - rather than a repeat of the pre-Covid situation. I don't think any of us want that to happen again either.