Everything Else
FAQ & Help
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Are the go-go bars not selling themselves short

Banned
    Liked

Re: Are the go-go bars not selling themselves short

Quote Originally Posted by thailuv View Post
    Why do the gay go-go bars not band together and form an "alliance" of sorts.
    You're assuming that bar owners in Thailand are rational (economically) and that small business owners anywhere are profit-maximisers. Neither is true. Small business owners generally are square pegs in round holes in the world of employment. They simply don't fit in. Therefore they seek "self"-employment

Bar owners in Thailand own bars because it's the simplest way of staying in Thailand and having something "productive" to do. Everyone is an "expert" on how to run a bar just by virtue of having stepped inside one once or twice - all you need to do to confirm that is to read threads such as this one - so they buy themselves a bar ... and it's all downhill from there

2. 2 Users gave Like to post:

christianpfc (September 14th, 2017), Marsilius (September 12th, 2017)

Liked: 1

I'm getting a feeling some people have been rubbed the wrong way by bar owners too many times. Is this getting personal?

Banned
    Liked

I'm getting a feeling some people have been rubbed the wrong way by bar owners too many times.
    I generally ignore them

It's the mamasans who should have outstanding customer interaction skills. With changing trends perhaps fluency in both English and Mandarin will not be negotiable.

Aside from language, being able to "read" customers instead of pestering them for a tip you've hardly earned. A happy customer will tip well, not to mention return for second helpings.

6. User who gave Like to post:

christianpfc (September 12th, 2017)

Banned
    Liked

It's the mamasans who should have outstanding customer interaction skills.
    Why, exactly? Pimping isn't exactly a skilled job, and almost all mamasans used to be gogo boys themselves but are now too old to get away with it

8. User who gave Like to post:

Marsilius (September 12th, 2017)

Liked

Aside from language, being able to "read" customers instead of pestering them for a tip you've hardly earned. A happy customer will tip well, not to mention return for second helpings.

Expecting Asians to "read" farang is a bit optimistic. The reverse is also true.

As for the mamasans treating customers nicely so they can look forward to another visit from them, that presumes they have the ability to look ahead. From my experience they don't ; they live in the here and now and couldn't give a fuck about what happens tomorrow. Forward planning is not in their DNA.

10. User who gave Like to post:

Marsilius (September 12th, 2017)

Forum's veteran
    Liked

Quote Originally Posted by frequent View Post
    almost all mamasans used to be gogo boys themselves but are now too old to get away with it
    Are you telling me that the notorious/hideous mamasan from Wild West/360/Prisma (Leila) used to be a cute good looking sexy money boy???

Quote Originally Posted by gerefan2 View Post
    Are you telling me that the notorious/hideous mamasan from Wild West/360/Prisma (Leila) used to be a cute good looking sexy money boy???
    You'd be surprised by what turns people on. Some dirty old farang out there has a fetish for getting down and dirty with an ugly East Asian MB.

That said perhaps the role of the mamasans needs to be redefined altogether. Can't have one just because everyone has one. After all it is a competitive environment. When you interact with a mamasan you should feel like you have an ally looking out for your best interests. Of course they want your money but shouldn't be so blatant about it.

Liked

Quote Originally Posted by arsenal View Post
    I think no cartel exists. The prices vary wildly from bar to bar. On the subject of bar owners Michael and Thomas who ran The Corner Bar are both from and returned to, Houston. I hope they are both OK considering the horrors that that city is currently suffering. If anyone has any news I would appreciate it. Michael was practically a genius as a host and we shared a few wonderful trips together.
    Michael and Thomas didn't "run the bar" they got 2 ladyboys to run the bar......
    Now they're back home in Houston.
    But they were thorough gentlemen and I do hope they're ok.
    I would love to meet them again in Pattaya.

Banned
    Liked

Some dirty old farang out there has a fetish for getting down and dirty with an ugly East Asian MB.
    Are you sure you're being quite fair to arsenal? On his own admission all the cute gay East Asian MBs run as fast as they can in the opposite direction when they see him approaching