FAQ & Help

Thread: The Pirate Bay Cafe

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Forum's veteran
    Liked

Re: The Pirate Bay

Quote Originally Posted by gerefan2 View Post
    Your knowledge of how we Brits survive is truly astounding !
    Not really. In fact I was generalising. I know that there are Brits who eat healthily and these heavy breakfasts are often more associated with the working classes who do more manual type work and where they might be exposed to the elements. Jamie Oliver used to be very popular here and all the aunties think he's very cute. I remember having to watch his school canteen series in the mid 2000s as part of one class or other. Nigella Lawson and Gordon Ramsay appeal to more niche groups. Through (English) lit and film studies (Billy Elliott, Full Monty, Trainspotting, etc) I was also exposed to a lot of British cultural norms (historical and contemporary). Last year I was trying very hard to place Fountainhall because he reminded me of somebody and it finally occurred to me that he was the spitting image of Mrs Bucket both in size and pomposity. Of course there are thousands of Brit and other farangs working in my country in various sectors and you do get to know them socially. Just last week I took my grandma for a check up at our local hospital and one of the pharmacists was a young-ish British woman. My grandma was trying to explain to her that she was born during British Malaya and sang God Save the King as a little girl but I don't think the pharmacist understood her - many of these farangs are quite thick and have very little general knowledge outside of the world they grew up in. But you know what? She said my grandma's knowledge of history was truly astounding!

Liked

Re: The Pirate Bay

Quote Originally Posted by sglad View Post
    She said my grandma's knowledge of history was truly astounding!
    You must have aged somewhat since your first post.
    Wombat : an Australian marsupial that eats,roots and leaves