Quote Originally Posted by goji View Post
As I understand it in Cambodia:
There is a disadvantage as I understand it's more difficult to choose the quarantine hotel ?

For me, the choice was simplified as the Cambodia Embassy in London were not replying to e-mails. Also they were reportedly less generous with their interpretation of criteria for getting a business visa than some other countries.

Thailand has of course been offering 60 day extensions for those "unable to return home", but without any checks on whether you could actually return home. This was not a known when Christian applied to go to Cambodia.
At the time I went to Cambodia, you could not choose your quarantine hotel (which is an advantage for me, one less thing to bother with). Now or soon they allow.

2000 USD deposit is great for US-Americans or others who have access to USD, but I had to exchange EUR to USD in Berlin at a loss of 5% against XE. It is said Cambodian immigration accepts other currencies and credit cards as well, but there is a danger of being refused by airline, and there are reports of people getting sent back because their credit card did not work.

I got a delayed, but positive reply from Cambodian embassy in Berlin. Processings there in person were much more pleasant than all Thai embassies I have been to (Berlin, Vientiane, Saigon).

I wonder if those visa extensions for those "unable to return home" work when you went from your home country to Thailand for a holiday and want to extend it. Last year, extension of extension (???) was only announced a few days before the current extension expired. I would not want to be in the country and counting days until my permission to stay expires, waiting for an announcement of a new extension and having to leave in a hurry or overstay if there is no new extension. And I wouldn't like going to immigration every time.

Quote Originally Posted by vnman View Post
...but this is beyond naive.
But maybe your reasoning is that you already tested positive last year? Past results might not guarantee future results, though.
I tested positive last year without symptoms. As I see it, Covid is a hyped annual flue. No danger for the majority of the population, only for some at-risk groups.