FAQ & Help

Thread: Masks

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    No Platformed
    Liked

Re: Masks

Quote Originally Posted by Armando View Post
    I wonder where you get the fact that "this is a virus caught by EXTENDED contact in confined areas ..." I'd like to see your source please. I have always been informed that inhaling just one droplet from an infected person is enough to give you the virus.
    You're confusing two different things - "how the virus is caught" with "probability of catching the virus"

Try some technical reading such as https://www.bmj.com/content/370/bmj.m3223

Liked

Quote Originally Posted by StevieWonders View Post
    You're confusing two different things - "how the virus is caught" with "probability of catching the virus"

Try some technical reading such as https://www.bmj.com/content/370/bmj.m3223
    No I am not! As for your BMJ article, given the disastrous rates of infection and death in that country, I would not place much emphasis on an incredibly long article that is almost 5 months old. And if you are not prepared to quote specifically from it, then I am not going to waste a great deal of time reading it.

A January 5 report from the CDC in British Columbia states " Droplets come in a wide range of sizes, from smaller than the width of a hair to larger than a grain of sand. A few large droplets or many small droplets can contain enough virus to infect another person." This guideline is common in the advice of many countries' Disease Control Centres.

3. 2 Users gave Like to post:

Patanawet (January 19th, 2021), StevieWonders (January 18th, 2021)

No Platformed
    Liked

Quote Originally Posted by Armando View Post
    ... an incredibly long article ... if you are not prepared to quote specifically from it, then I am not going to waste a great deal of time reading it.
    I don't believe there's a Janet & John version.

Liked

Quote Originally Posted by StevieWonders View Post
    I don't believe there's a Janet & John version.
    So you did not wade through it all either.

6. User who gave Like to post:

Patanawet (January 19th, 2021)

Forum's veteran
    Liked

Wearing a mask is a no-brainer.

What confuses me is that the majority of people I see are wearing those standard dust collector type masks that you see in Seven Eleven's. Those are OK for stopping you from giving the virus to others - but they won't stop you from getting the virus from others. The masks you want are "KN95" Masks which are rated for "Medical/Hospital Use". I just ordered a resupply of these for Jai and I on Lazada and only paid 70 baht for a box of 10 masks. The prices have come down dramatically since the Big Wave hit early last year.

If you're going to wear the damn things - you may as well wear one that actually works. What a concept!

Liked

Quote Originally Posted by Dodger View Post
    Wearing a mask is a no-brainer.

What confuses me is that the majority of people I see are wearing those standard dust collector type masks that you see in Seven Eleven's. Those are OK for stopping you from giving the virus to others - but they won't stop you from getting the virus from others. The masks you want are "KN95" Masks which are rated for "Medical/Hospital Use". I just ordered a resupply of these for Jai and I on Lazada and only paid 70 baht for a box of 10 masks. The prices have come down dramatically since the Big Wave hit early last year.

If you're going to wear the damn things - you may as well wear one that actually works. What a concept!
    Yes KN95 or N95 are almost the same thing. KN is to Chinese standards and N USA standards. The fibres are somehow electrostatically charged to capture virus particles

No Platformed
    Liked

I was encouraged to see everyone in this photo was wearing a mask - https://english.alaraby.co.uk/englis...s-in-indonesia