List of forums
Gay Thailand
Gay Cambodia
Gay Vietnam
Gay World
Everything Else
FAQ & Help
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: What's Chiang Mai like these days?

Liked

What's Chiang Mai like these days?

Last time I was there was December 14.

Back then it was pretty chilled. I could see then that tourism was taking over though.

Used to be able to get 1 hour Traditional Thai Massage for 200 baht, which I did most days. A decent serve of Street food would be 100-200 baht. There were lots of bars, many of them made of corrugated iron.

I imagine if I were to go back nowadays, I'd find much more stuff made of concrete. I expect I'd also find that most things are a bit more expensive now.

Am I wrong?

Liked

Re: What's Chiang Mai like these days?

The problem in Chiang Mai these days is air pollution. This has been a serious crisis for some time now and as usual the Thais refuse to seriously deal with it. The pollution is caused by burning of plant material left after harvest and clearing Forrest for more crops. The absolute stupidity of Thai people rages on.
    Will Rogers said, "I never met a man I didn't like", but he never met Donald Trump.

Liked

Kjun12 the burning season is over, isn't it?

Forum's veteran Manforallseasons's Avatar
    Liked

The problem with CM is that it’s rather vibrant gay scene has become quite dismal to say the least, it has become a favorite of Chinese tour groups not much else except for the temples now.
    "In the land of the blind the one eyed man is king"

Forum's veteran Brad the Impala's Avatar
    Liked

Quote Originally Posted by Manforallseasons View Post
    The problem with CM is that it’s rather vibrant gay scene has become quite dismal to say the least, it has become a favorite of Chinese tour groups not much else except for the temples now.
    According to you all gay night life in Thailand has become dismal, to say the least!

Liked

Quote Originally Posted by kjun12 View Post
    The problem in Chiang Mai these days is air pollution.
    We have just returned from the first two Songkran days in Chiang Mai.
    Absolutely NO PROBLEM of pollution in the town. Very few people using smog masks.
    In the far distance the mountains looked misty.
    We went to the Queen Sirikit Botanical Gardens in the foothills -- again no problem with pollution.
    At the gardens, there was no problem with dual pricing for us -- the cashier at the entrance said "you two are so old you can go in for free!"
    The only charge was 100 Baht for the car and driver.
    Our only problem was the lack of gay bars without spending 300 Baht in a Tuk Tuk.
    We spent every night in RAM BAR with it's fabulous shows and then next door to secrets Bar for a later drink.
    Temperature at the moment reported to be 41. Yes it was bleedin' hot.
    Are you speaking from personal observation kjun12?

Liked

Quote Originally Posted by Brad the Impala View Post
    According to you all gay night life in Thailand has become dismal, to say the least!
    Not true! Only CM & BKK.......You are always quick to comment but actually when was your last visit here? A bit like Scottish me thinks!

8. 2 Users gave Like to post:

arsenal (April 17th, 2019), Patanawet (April 17th, 2019)

Forum's veteran
    Liked

Chiang Mai as a gay destination died for me with the demise of the old Adam's Apple. When was that? 2003? The arrival of a Certain Person on the scene in 2004, however, re-invented it as a delightful place to visit....mountains, river trips and, for P, market and temple trips. We are encouraged by decent, well-priced hotels, interesting restaurants and numerous and cheap flights on Air Asia. We now visit annually.
    I wouldn't go alone.

10. User who gave Like to post:

Manforallseasons (April 17th, 2019)

Liked

Quote Originally Posted by Oliver2 View Post
    Chiang Mai as a gay destination died for me with the demise of the old Adam's Apple.
    I agree 100% the original Adam’s Apple for me was Thailand’s best GoGo and though the bars behind the Night Bazaar moved a few times they were fun while they lasted however, a bit seedy.

Forum's veteran
    Liked

Adam's Apple wouldn't pass Health and Safety regulations now- even Thai ones- and was something of a dump. But what it had in abundance were a host- often fifty plus- of cute guys, predominantly twinks. There was no Burmese hill-tribe influx by then I assume.
    Not only that, but it attracted CMU students who were frequently as good looking as the dancers.
    The only minus for me were the performances of three khatoeys from a local show... I would itch for their acts to end so that the gogo dancers could continue their amateurish (and charming) shows.
    Add to this winning combination a gay hotel ten metres away and you had, for me, a gay venue second to none. None of the other gay bars - and I tried them all- could match it.