Gay World
Everything Else
FAQ & Help
Page 1 of 10 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Homeless Boys

Forum's veteran
    Liked

Homeless Boys

I took a motorbike buzz around the bay yesterday morning to join friends for coffee and a chat near Sunee. I always stop at the beach to stretch a bit after the 30 minute ride, then routinely drive through Jomtien Complex just to see the scene before making my way to Sanongs Cafe on Soi Yensabai. Just in this one short early morning visit to Pattaya I ran into 3 different boys who I’ve known for years who have been forced to survive on the streets due to the effects of this pandemic.

The 3 things these boys all have in common are; They all have above average looks, genuinely nice guys, and have all been working the scene for several years. One boy (names not important) worked before his 2 year hitch in the Army at Nice Boys Gogo…another worked freelance in-and-around Sunee (Green Chairs). and the last boy usually works freelance at the beach. From what I’ve seen over the years, none of these boys had a lack of customers and/or sponsors, wore nice clothes, appeared clean (drug free), and were (and are) just as down-to-earth and friendly as they come.

One boy was sleeping in a small alley which runs between two large buildings just down from Dong Tan Beach. He had a tattered rain poncho taped to the wall to help block the rain at night, a roll-up straw mat for a bed, and his clothes were balled-up on the ground and being used as a pillow. The second boy I ran into was sleeping in a bar in Jomtien Complex where he now works at night. At least he has a roof over his head and a small sofa to use as a bed. The third boy I spotted was sleeping on the cement porch outside a small shop on Soi Yensabai just down from where Two Guys Guesthouse used to be. Similar to Beach Boy, he was sleeping on the ground using his clothes as a pillow. Sadly, but honestly, this reminded me of the hobo’s I’d see living around the rail yards in Chicago, with the exception being Chicago hobo’s prefer living in cardboard boxes and always beg for handouts.

I know that many of you may find this hard to believe, but not one of these boys asked me for money. A phenomenon…maybe? Who knows. Maybe, even with times being as hard as they are right now, saving face is still important to them. In any event, I stuffed some money in each of their pockets. Not much, but enough to cover a room for the night and food for a few days. I plan to do the same each and every time I make these visits which is normally every 4-5 days.

Before anyone asks the question that we hear so often, i.e. “Why don’t these boys just go home”? I’m going to take the liberty of answering this for you. It’s because some of them don’t have a home to go back to. Common Scenario: Many of these boys come from small remote jungle villages…raised by their grandmothers while their mothers are away (indefinitely) working in a factory in Bangkok…grandmothers die…homes disappear. End of story. As far as many Thai fathers are concerned, especially in the impoverished regions, they commonly drink them themselves into a permanent stupor after kids come along…drift off to a place with no responsibilities, and offer no support whatsoever to their families after that. Then there are the fortunate ones. The ones (and there are many) who have good parents (mothers and fathers) and have a home to return to and survive. I believe the majority of boys fall in this category, but that doesn’t do anything for the less fortunate ones.

.All I’ve been hearing and reading about for the past 7 months are farang complaining about the services THEY have to do without…the services THEY can’t have…the inconveniences THEY have to suffer when cancelling a holiday…and a host of other complaints, all of which, frankly, are self-serving and trivial as compared to the Thais over here who are struggling in the “survival mode” It’s almost embarrassing.

So nobody gets me wrong here, if I were stuck back in the U.S and banned from returning to Thailand it would be the ULTIMATE BALL-BUST, and I would be just as desperate as some of you are to return as soon as I could, so don’t get me wrong. But, in the mean-time, I would be sending money to my boyfriend to make sure he was taken care of in the process. I know some would balk at this, but I certainly wouldn’t allow another persons blindness (or, self-centeredness) to distract me from doing what I knew was right. As far as I’m concerned, this is the time to look for opportunities to help others, especially someone you care for.

What Goes Around – Comes Around.

2. 30 Users gave Like to post:

AdamKY (August 9th, 2020), Aux1010 (August 10th, 2020), BenCH (August 10th, 2020), billyhouston (August 9th, 2020), christianpfc (August 9th, 2020), dab69 (June 9th, 2021), Dax (August 15th, 2020), daydreamer (August 10th, 2020), Doug (August 10th, 2020), GerBear1958 (August 13th, 2020), goji (August 9th, 2020), groenthusiast (August 24th, 2020), Halcyon (May 21st, 2021), jvt22222 (August 10th, 2020), Keith (August 10th, 2020), kkjason (July 13th, 2021), michaelx1992 (August 10th, 2020), Moses (August 9th, 2020), Oliver2 (August 9th, 2020), Patanawet (August 9th, 2020), seenus (August 9th, 2020), siscu58 (August 10th, 2020), Smiles (August 10th, 2020), snotface (August 9th, 2020), splinter1949 (August 11th, 2020), Stulong (August 9th, 2020), talisman (November 1st, 2020), TaoR (August 9th, 2020), Up2U (August 9th, 2020), Zebedee (August 9th, 2020)

Forum's veteran Manforallseasons's Avatar
    Liked

Re: Homeless Boys

Dodger, you and your b/f live together so no need to make speeches about the disenfranchised and who exactly should money be sent to, and even though none of the boys you saw asked for money, surely after seeing their plight you gave them money to eat, and a few hundred baht for a room for the night?
    "In the land of the blind the one eyed man is king"

Liked

I for one am relieved to learn that Dodger gave them some much needed funds. Had he not mentioned that important fact, I would have thought , how could he not help them in some small way, he must know they are desperate? I do not think him telling us was in ANYWAY self-serving or lecturing. Dodger I applaud your generosity , and thank you for telling us the reality of the impact of the Virus.

5. 13 Users gave Like to post:

BenCH (August 10th, 2020), dab69 (June 9th, 2021), Dax (August 15th, 2020), Dodger (August 11th, 2020), GerBear1958 (August 13th, 2020), GWMinUS (August 15th, 2020), kkjason (July 13th, 2021), Max6969 (June 28th, 2022), monsoon (August 10th, 2020), Patanawet (August 9th, 2020), seenus (August 9th, 2020), splinter1949 (August 11th, 2020), TaoR (August 9th, 2020)

Forum's veteran
    Liked

Me too. And please carry on making speeches, or more accurately, informing us as to the realities of life in Thailand today.

7. 6 Users gave Like to post:

BenCH (August 10th, 2020), christianpfc (August 9th, 2020), dab69 (June 9th, 2021), Dax (August 15th, 2020), Patanawet (August 9th, 2020), TaoR (August 9th, 2020)

Liked

I'm holding to the belief that the Thais will survive and overcome this terrible situation with or without the help of falang. Those who are hungry will continue to be fed by generous organisations and individuals, although the food servings can be meagre at times. Contributions to food NGOs will reach more needy people than by giving random individuals money especially when Thais in general are fond of their alcohol. Most of them will not be running around naked from the lack of clothes because of excessive expenditure on clothing. The moneyboys need to redouble their efforts to stay in the business.

Liked

An excellent write up by Dodger. I pretty much agree with every line of it. Including distinguishing between professional hobos and those who were trying their best when the opportunities were there previously, but have fallen on hard times now.

10. User who gave Like to post:

TaoR (August 9th, 2020)

Forum's veteran
    Liked

Quote Originally Posted by dinagam View Post

Contributions to food NGOs will reach more needy people than by giving random individuals money.....
    Can you recommend any food NGO's who are providing this support to the homeless in Thailand right now? .

12. 5 Users gave Like to post:

BenCH (August 10th, 2020), dab69 (June 9th, 2021), Dax (August 15th, 2020), TaoR (August 9th, 2020), Zebedee (August 9th, 2020)

Forum's veteran
    Liked

Hard times yes. Desperation. My friend died and I could not visit him.
    His friend that cared for him got hit by a car.
    A week later his brother got hit by a car and needed his leg pinned to heal. (documented with pictures)
    What a way to get money! That's true desperation if the only way to get money is walk in front of a car and get hit.
    I'm not saying it was on purpose but chance probability is running a bit thin here.

Forum's veteran
    Liked

Quote Originally Posted by Dodger View Post
    before making my way to Sanongs Cafe on Soi Yensabai. .
    I’m amazed his little cafe is still open. It was struggling before all this. Take it he is ok?

Forum's veteran Manforallseasons's Avatar
    Liked

Several weeks ago food lines for the poor were common in Pattaya bars etc. contributed, a massage place I like near Tukcom gave food to the needy I gave the boss 1000 toward her good deed as well as some money to boys in need.
    This lines are no longer common as most who were able to return to families appear to have done just that.
    "In the land of the blind the one eyed man is king"

16. 3 Users gave Like to post:

dab69 (June 9th, 2021), GerBear1958 (August 13th, 2020), Khor tose (August 10th, 2020)