Everything Else
FAQ & Help
Page 8 of 26 FirstFirst ... 45678910111218 ... LastLast

Thread: Where is everyone?

Forum's veteran
    Liked

Re: Where is everyone?

Quote Originally Posted by Manforallseasons View Post
    When the smoke clears 2 oh so different from eachother forums are likely to survive....Gaythailand & Gaybuttonthai......what niche does Sawadtee fill, other than being a sounding board for 2 or 3 dieharts. Gaythailand for reasons that elude me has totally eclipysed this board.
    Both conclusions present an interesting conundrum. Seriously what niche do any of the forums now fill? When this and others now dead started, the internet was not as widely consulted and so they presented a major source of information for expats and visitors alike. They also gave groups of expats (mostly) a forum for a general discussion of their lives that was pretty much closed to outsiders. Inevitably that evolved to become Pattaya-centric, if only because expats in Bangkok tend to be far more spread out around the city and less 'clubable'.

I'm not sure what plans Surfcrest and Moses have for this site, but both injected cash and so presumably it's not a personal plaything like Gaybuttonthai. That will presumably only last as long as gaybutton is happy to run it. I posted for several years on gaythailand when it seemed to cover a much wider range of topics than nowadays. It was then not just the Thailand forum - the Beer Bar was also much more active then than now. Where gaythailand seems to beat the others is the number of new/recent posters. Is that because it now has a lot more graphic trip reports? Probably.

I used to like the gaythailand Board policy. Before it was easy to read. Now it's been reduced to one massive block of difficult to find tiny text and how anyone finds out what the rules are totally beats me! But it does say this -

The Gay Thailand Message Center forums are provided as a venue for the discussion and exchange of information about Thailand and other related issues. It is a place to submit queries and share experiences, information, concerns, news and views, and maybe even a little humor for the benefit of members . . .

That Message Center members shall be expected to behave as adults is not an undue burden. The expected conduct standard for the Gay Thailand forums is the same as that observed everyday in society by adults in our neighborhoods, towns, and cities. It is based on straightforward mature behavior, civility and courtesy that you find in a neighborhood Pub or Tavern where neighbors and acquaintances joined by occasional strangers come together to socialize in good temper, to share conversation, and to hoist, in moderation, a glass of favorite beer or wine or a cup of coffee or tea. These forums are NOT presented for abusive arguing and name calling, score settling, thread stalking, or general cyberspace blood sport for the chronically bored.
    I cannot believe this represents a description of either gaythailand now or this site!

Given the number of Boards and other more general information sites which started up and then have collapsed and died, the present 3 must be doing something right. As to their future, I have zero idea.
    Last edited by fountainhall; March 11th, 2017 at 12:32.

2. User who gave Like to post:

frequent (March 11th, 2017)

Liked

Quote Originally Posted by fountainhall View Post
    Where gaythailand seems to beat the others is the number of new/recent posters. Is that because it now has a lot more graphic trip reports?
    It seems that those graphic and very interesting trip reports have caused the posters to receive some very negative and hateful messages in private and in my opinion unnecessary criticism in the public forum. It is doubtful the trip reporters will bother spending the time and effort to write a report in the future. The forums can self destruct quickly as is happening at Gaythailand recently..

4. User who gave Like to post:

Nirish guy (March 11th, 2017)

Banned
    Liked

Quote Originally Posted by aussie_ View Post
    It seems that those graphic and very interesting trip reports have caused the posters to receive some very negative and hateful messages in private and in my opinion unnecessary criticism in the public forum. It is doubtful the trip reporters will bother spending the time and effort to write a report in the future. The forums can self destruct quickly as is happening at Gaythailand recently..
    I still value the 4 trip reports that were made about a "SE Asian Sojourn" with a447 and the author of those posts in January 2015

6. User who gave Like to post:

roguebear (March 18th, 2017)

Liked

A strange comment coming from one of the more prolific posters with 1,726 posts so far!
    You've totally missed the point.

I was referring to guys who post with numerous handles. Frequent, aka a dozen other handles, comes to mind.

Surely they are the ones with too much time on their hands. One handle should keep you busy enough on a forum.

You also missed another point - those 1726 posts were made over 11 years! That's an average of 3 posts per week.

And another point you've missed - many of my posts come in bursts, like when I'm somewhere writing and posting a trip rrport. In that case I'm posting once or twice every day. For 3 or 4 weeks. With at least 4 trips per year the number of posts soon adds up.

But if my posts indicate that I'm leading a "very sad, lonely" life, so be it!

I'm sure it's a life many would be happy to lead. (Isn't that right, frequent /Kommie?)

Aussie wrote:

The forums can self destruct quickly as is happening at Gaythailand recently..
    When the regular posters decide to leave then that's the end of the board.
    Last edited by a447; March 11th, 2017 at 13:57.

Liked

Quote Originally Posted by a447 View Post
    You also missed another point - those 1726 posts were made over 11 years! That's an average of 3 posts per week.
    With all due respect, the prolific poster with 1,726+ posts so far is fountainhall himself!

Your posting history consists of 2,453 posts, if I see that correctly.

9. User who gave Like to post:

frequent (March 14th, 2017)

Liked

Yes you're right. Fountainhall did indeed quote his own number of posts.

So add another post to my weekly total!

Lol

Liked

May I add that I enjoyed to read them.

12. User who gave Like to post:

a447 (March 11th, 2017)

Liked

And i hope a447 and Fountainhall keep posting as often as they like.

14. 4 Users gave Like to post:

a447 (March 11th, 2017), christianpfc (March 12th, 2017), fountainhall (March 11th, 2017), Nirish guy (March 11th, 2017)

Forum's veteran Manforallseasons's Avatar
    Liked

Seriously what niche do any of the forums now fill?.
    Thats simple, Gaythailand is about Sex....where, how and when, Gaybutton has veered away from largely gay subject matter to non sexual topics including everything from politics to movie and restaurant reviews leaving Sawadtee where (Indigo review aside)?

16. 2 Users gave Like to post:

fountainhall (March 11th, 2017), frequent (March 14th, 2017)

Liked

Quote Originally Posted by aussie_ View Post
    And i hope a447 and Fountainhall keep posting as often as they like.
    I am very angry you dont mention me. But I forgive you.

18. User who gave Like to post:

fountainhall (March 11th, 2017)