Gay Vietnam
Gay World
Everything Else
FAQ & Help
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: New Travel pass:

Liked

Re: New Travel pass:

Without tourists Pattaya is a dead zone and will only get progressively worse.

2. 3 Users gave Like to post:

Brad the Impala (October 22nd, 2021), Dodger (October 22nd, 2021), gerefan2 (October 22nd, 2021)

Liked

"Some of the expats I talk to over here (not all) are not thrilled with visitors returning for several reasons: Risk of more covid, heavier traffic, higher levels of air and water pollution, return of the monster smoke-belching tour buses, public places that will become more crowded increasing the risk of covid, etc., etc.

To be brutally honest, the only people who seem delighted about tourists returning are those who want their $$money$$"

As has been proven. No tourists equals no.Pattaya. Besides, there are loads of other quieter beach towns in Thailand to retire to.

4. 4 Users gave Like to post:

Dodger (October 22nd, 2021), gerefan2 (October 22nd, 2021), goji (October 22nd, 2021), Oliver2 (October 22nd, 2021)

Forum's veteran
    Liked

The antipathy predates Covid. I remember one expat blaming us for driving-up the price of a MB. That was enough to make us unwelcome in his eyes. Oddly enough, he had a financial interest in a bar....

6. User who gave Like to post:

francois (October 22nd, 2021)

Liked

Quote Originally Posted by gerefan2 View Post
    Why is it that expats are so anti visitors?
    Have to say, even as a visitor I didn't miss the Chinese tour buses belching out black smoke etc.

Quote Originally Posted by arsenal View Post
    No tourists equals no.Pattaya. Besides, there are loads of other quieter beach towns in Thailand to retire to.
    Now that's a key point.
    Any Pattaya resident who doesn't like hordes of tourists can move to a quieter town. Plenty of choice.
    I suspect the residents choose Pattaya because of all the facilities, but it needs tourists to sustain those facilities.

Getting back to the thread topic: The travel pass is supposed to be ready for people arriving on 1 November. The website is still not open for applications, just 9 days before the pass is needed by anyone arriving on 1 Nov.
    Apparently it is supposed to be: www.thailandpass.go.th

8. User who gave Like to post:

christianpfc (October 22nd, 2021)

Forum's veteran
    Liked

Quote Originally Posted by goji View Post

Any Pattaya resident who doesn't like hordes of tourists can move to a quieter town.
    Not really an issue for Pattaya residents, because they'll never see hordes of tourists again in their life times.

Personally, I'd be satisfied just to see a moderate flow of tourists - just enough to keep the gay scenes active and boys around. I imagine a lot of other expats feel the same. We all want to see our friends again, so don't get me wrong, but those tour buses and flocks of Chinese are detested by everyone.

For the expats (including me) this is our home, and you'll find that the majority who live here are just as concerned about the safety and well-being of their home environment as the tourists are about their home environments. This is just human nature.

10. 2 Users gave Like to post:

francois (October 22nd, 2021), Ruthrieston (October 24th, 2021)

Liked

Top 6 reasons to hate the tour busses.
    1. Take up.huge amounts of space.
    2. Responsible for the decision to destroy Bali Hai to build a car park.
    3. Slow the traffic down to a standstill.
    4. They disgorge pond life with screaming and megaphone.
    5. They spend virtually nothing locally.
    6. The occupants behaviour is considered disgusting by the rest of the world.

12. 2 Users gave Like to post:

Dodger (October 22nd, 2021), Ruthrieston (October 24th, 2021)

Liked

Quote Originally Posted by arsenal View Post
    Top 6 reasons to hate the tour busses.
    1. Take up.huge amounts of space.
    2. Responsible for the decision to destroy Bali Hai to build a car park.
    3. Slow the traffic down to a standstill.
    4. They disgorge pond life with screaming and megaphone.
    5. They spend virtually nothing locally.
    6. The occupants behaviour is considered disgusting by the rest of the world.
    My main reasons to hate them are belching out black smoke, often when idling to keep the aircon running whilst their customers are doing the tour. Oh, and the buses are always never more than half full, which is inefficient.

Regarding the occupants, if they are that objectionable, I'd be interested to hear comments on what it's like living in the country which they typically originate from ?
    What I do know is the students China sends abroad seem to be quite well behaved, however that population sample has some quality filters.

Apologies to the moderators for taking this off topic. The Travel Pass is an important topic for travelers, once it is up and running. Therefore deserving a thread of it's own.

Quote Originally Posted by Dodger View Post
    For the expats (including me) this is our home, and you'll find that the majority who live here are just as concerned about the safety and well-being of their home environment as the tourists are about their home environments. This is just human nature.
    I would say some tourists are more concerned about these issues than the locals.

Liked

There's a whole thread on that question Goji.

Forum's veteran
    Liked

Quote Originally Posted by goji View Post

I would say some tourists are more concerned about these issues than the locals.
    Yes, but there's not much we can do about that.

I've spent a hell of a lot more time coming here as a tourist than living here as a resident, and all I can tell you is that the only thing on my mind when I arrived here on holiday was SEX, e.g. Beer...Bars...Boys, not necessarily in that order. That last thing I was concerned with was problems related to Pattaya's infrastructure and/or environment. Now that I live here these things matter a bit more.

16. 3 Users gave Like to post:

Patanawet (October 23rd, 2021), Ruthrieston (October 24th, 2021), vnman (October 26th, 2021)