Quote Originally Posted by sglad View Post

...Again, the 20-something student reference. But this time said with a delightful racist sneer. Would it have soothed your superior colonial sensitivities if I were intelligent (your description) and white? But no, that’s not you. As a true colonial, you’d be a lot happier if I were brown, poor and dependent on you. a447 has said more than once that I couldn’t be Asian because of my strong English and writing skills (his description). So, you see, the problem is not me. It’s you and guys like you who can’t cope with bright, independent Asian guys who can not only stand on their own two feet but who can stand up against you in your OWN language and often times with wit and style. It just kills you, doesn’t it?
sglad,

When communicating with people who you feel may hold prejudice against you for your age, race, cultural background, etc. I think you would find it beneficial to avoid being baited into meaningless mud-slinging contests, especially where racial slurs start getting tossed around like hand grenades. If you are as intelligent as you present yourself as being, then you will find this advice valuable, not only in this discussion, but in all your interactions with people of different cultures going forward.

Also, and only meant as a positive suggestion, you really should start having more confidence in yourself. You've obviously intelligent and articulate which you should be proud of, although you also seem to be harboring a glaring inferiority complex. Read your own words below:

"So, you see, the problem is not me. It’s you and guys like you who can’t cope with bright, independent Asian guys who can not only stand on their own two feet but who can stand up against you in your OWN language and often times with wit and style. It just kills you, doesn’t it? "

A question I would have about this statement is; Why do you feel the constant need to "stand up against" people?

I also find it interesting that you've introduced yourself as being Asian, when, in fact, your personality reflects more Western than Asian traits. It makes no difference to me what you call yourself, but I do find it very interesting. I'm not confused by this because of you'e level of intelligence at all, because my first 10 years in Asia were spent interacting with Asian executives in China, Singapore, Thailand, S. Korea and Taiwan and, believe me, they were as intelligent and articulate as they come. I'm confused about this for the mere fact that you seem to lack two of the most pronounced and fundamental characteristics of all Asians, and that's their high level of "Humility" - and preference of avoiding negative confrontations with others, both characteristics being deeply and firmly ingrained in Asian culture.

Good luck!