Everything Else
FAQ & Help

Thread: Bangkok report April 2018

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Liked

Re: Bangkok report April 2018

Quote Originally Posted by a447 View Post
    When I travel in other Asian countries it is not uncommon to get "knowing looks" from locals in the street or in shopping centres.

But in Yangon, I didn't get any approaches at all.
    If it's a consolation for you: I don't get "knowing looks" anywhere.

Quote Originally Posted by a447 View Post
    I'm now on my way to the airport after a bit of drama regarding the taxi.

There is a dickhead working at the hotel. Every morning when I was sitting outside furiously typing on my iPad, he would constantly come over to practise his English, even though he could see I was busy. It drove me mad!

Today I asked him to call me taxi and told him they must use the meter. I waited and waited but there was no sign of a taxi, so I walked down the driveway onto the street to see what he was doing. Taxis were passing by but he had his back turned to the road!

Finally he snared one. I got in and was told it was 500 baht. When I asked him to turn on the meter, he reversed up the street and dumped me back at the hotel!

"I told you, I want a meter taxi."

"Oh,sorry. I forget!"

He got me another one but as soon as I hopped in, it was 500 baht. I was now running 20 minutes late so I just gave in.
    After studying Thai language, I can do almost everything better than the vast majority of the population, so I try to avoid all unneccessary involvement of locals. Your report confirms my practice.

2. User who gave Like to post:

mr giggles (April 30th, 2018)