List of forums
Gay Thailand
Gay Cambodia
Gay Vietnam
Gay World
Everything Else
FAQ & Help
Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Expat Income Requirements Changing?

Forum's veteran
    Liked

Re: Expat Income Requirements Changing?

Quote Originally Posted by goji View Post

It would be very nice if someone would do a nice logical Excel table summarizing the difference between all the different Thai visa categories.
    They rarely use tools like "Excel" in Thailand. That would make it too easy for people to see the discrepancies.

No Excel spreadsheet needed to describe the difference between the O and O-A visas being discussed. The only difference between the O and O-A that effects retired expats is that the O-A started requiring health insurance (3M THB) effective Oct 1, 2021, and the O doesn't require health insurance YET. With that exception, these two visa classifications are inherently the same.

2. User who gave Like to post:

francois (November 13th, 2021)

Liked

Quote Originally Posted by bkkguy View Post
    and GB, despite your constant protestations, not everyone is in the same situation as you are
    Thank you for pointing that out. Until your post I thought everyone was in the exact same situation I'm in.

I'm waiting for you to tell me all about how there are still a number of scenarios where a Non O-A visa may be a better choice than getting the O visa within Thailand and provide some examples.

Quote Originally Posted by Armando View Post
    the 800,000 route was changed only a couple of years ago to make that route more difficult for many people. For how much longer will that 65K remain at that level?
    And I was in favor of the change. It was one of the few times I thought what they were doing made good sense. A significant number of people supposedly were cheating one way or another, which I bitterly resented since I was doing it honestly. The changes made it more difficult for people to cheat.

However, I definitely dislike being forced to keep 800.000 baht untouchable in a Thai bank account.

As for any upcoming changes, whether to the 800,000 baht rule or the 65,000 baht per month rule, I too think it will happen, but bear in mind all we have to go on is sheer speculation. There has been absolutely nothing from the Thai end to indicate changes are coming or even contemplated. No way to prepare for any changes because there is no way to have any idea what those changes might be or who they would affect - if they happen at all.

Forum's veteran
    Liked

Quote Originally Posted by Gaybutton View Post

Again, I don't know why anyone would want the O-A visa rather than the O.
    You made your point crystal clear when recommending to our readers that they run out and switch from O-A to O based on your opinion.

You shouldn't be making that sort of recommendation to anybody at this stage. When Immigration announces the changes coming our way, people will be in a position to decide what actions to take, if any.

Liked

Quote Originally Posted by Dodger View Post
    You shouldn't be making that sort of recommendation to anybody at this stage.
    The idea that changes are coming our way is sheer speculation on your part, based on absolutely nothing. I know of no indication of any kind coming from the Thai government or immigration that any changes are even being considered.

But you have my apologies. I forgot that before I express my opinion I'm supposed to get your approval first and abide by your decision as to what I should or should not say. I'll try to remember that.

I'll express my opinion whenever I want, especially when I think I'm right, just like you or anyone else can do. Whether anyone wants to agree with or follow my opinion or advice is their own choice. But I do not intend to have my opinions and right to express them suppressed by you or anyone else. I'm not holding a gun to anyone's head to even read my opinions, let alone pay any attention to them.

Forum's veteran
    Liked

I'll express my opinion whenever I want, especially when I think I'm right......
    Which of course is all the time.

My opinion was (and is) that you should not have recommended to people that they run out and change their visa classifications until the changes have been made. I never once insinuated that your OPINION wasn't valid, I merely cautioned you from making this type of premature RECOMMENDATION when you haven't the foggiest clue what the visa changes will involve.

Having an OPINION is fine (welcome to the club), but when you start telling people to act on that opinion, it becomes a "Recommendation" which some people, including potential newcomers with no experience with these matters, could react to. Frankly, I would think someone with your experience on these Boards would understand that.

If you still don't get it...just add it to your list

Liked

Quote Originally Posted by Dodger View Post
    If you still don't get it...just add it to your list
    Well of course it's all the time. I don't post my opinions, recommendations, or whatever you want to call it if I think I'm wrong. Do you?

If I am later convinced I was wrong, I say so. I know you do too. Unfortunately, many don't.

I completely disagree with you on this, so consider it added . . .

And I'm still waiting for someone to explain to me in what way the O-A visa is ever better than getting the O visa within Thailand.

Liked

Then I'll repeat my question: What am I missing? Give me an example of a scenario in which the O-A is a better choice than the O.
    I am much too polite to suggest that you may be missing the knowledge of the how the Non O-A visa works and the imagination to imagine how other people might use the visa - but I am sure you would be quick to dismiss any specific examples I give as unrealistic or irrelevant

so make some effort yourself and read up on the non O-A visa and try to imagine who might perhaps be interested in a scenario like spending two years in Thailand doing just 90 day reports and perhaps one re-entry permit application, no extension of permission to stay, no proving transfer of funds to Thailand

and remember, don't base your cost/benefit analysis just on your own ideas of value for money and convenience - unless you are just justifying your own personal choice - because even for people who want to "retire" to Thailand "forever" the difference between a Non O visa and extensions in Thailand, multiple Non O-A visas from your home country and even an Elite visa are based on other people's personal choices and shouldn't be dismissed just because you think you know better about what is best for them
    I can’t even be bothered to be apathetic these days!

9. 3 Users gave Like to post:

Armando (November 13th, 2021), Brad the Impala (November 13th, 2021), Dodger (November 13th, 2021)

Liked

Quote Originally Posted by bkkguy View Post
    I am sure you would be quick to dismiss any specific examples I give as unrealistic or irrelevant
    Most likely, just as I dismiss evasive responses like this one.

If you can't provide an example, not even one, just say so.

Forum's veteran Brad the Impala's Avatar
    Liked

Well of course it's all the time. I don't post my opinions, recommendations, or whatever you want to call it if I think I'm wrong. Do you?
    A little knowledge and a lot of arrogance is a dangerous combination. Fortunately on this forum misleading opinions can be challenged.

12. 3 Users gave Like to post:

dinagam (November 13th, 2021), Dodger (November 13th, 2021), lukylok (November 13th, 2021)

Liked

Most likely, just as I dismiss evasive responses like this one.
    no, once you have decided you know the "right" answer you just dismiss anyone who disagrees with you
    I can’t even be bothered to be apathetic these days!

14. User who gave Like to post:

Dodger (November 13th, 2021)