Gay World
Everything Else
FAQ & Help
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Pattaya

Liked

Re: Pattaya

Quote Originally Posted by sglad View Post

In your other thread, you said that you're looking for a "good, old-fashioned party." You didn't explain what you mean by "party" but if you're looking to sample interesting food, drink, dance, get to know people, hook up and generally have a good time
    This is the confusing thing here... various people have said I've not explained what I'm looking for, but then you go and say exactly what I'm looking for. Clearly I'm not being ambiguous if you can nail it on the head in one go.

I'm thinking I may hit Pattaya for a few days, the hotels are fairly cheap it seems compared to other places, and its not that far from BKK.

I like some of the suggestions people have put out here, gonna do some more research, and see where it takes me.

Forum's veteran
    Liked

Quote Originally Posted by Omega View Post
    This is the confusing thing here... various people have said I've not explained what I'm looking for, but then you go and say exactly what I'm looking for. Clearly I'm not being ambiguous if you can nail it on the head in one go.
    Truthfully, I wasn't sure what you were looking for. "Party" can also mean "high fun" or "chem fun" or what the older generation calls PnP. You can find that in Bangkok too. Not my scene and I can't help you out there.

On this board you have to be as clear and specific as possible as to what you're saying or looking for and even then there's no guarantee that you will be understood and responded to accordingly. Gay life or nightlife is often used synonymously with commercial gay sex. Most of the time, members would just project their own wants, circumstances and insecurities on to you with little regard to what you're actually saying. So if you express a desire to go to Bangkok or Pattaya to have some "good, old-fashioned fun" it would be automatically assumed that you were looking to hire prostitutes. Difference is not a big thing here and you will be chastised and sometimes even hounded off the board for it. But not everyone is like that and there are a few who have an interest in Thailand beyond "bar etiquette" and "how much to tip".

Senior member RonanTheBarbarian's Avatar
    Liked

Double post
    Last edited by RonanTheBarbarian; August 3rd, 2017 at 04:53. Reason: clarity

Liked

Good post there by sglad, to be fair.

Sorry you feel you had a negative reception, Omega, but I think the problem you faced with your OP is similar to a mistake I think many people make when they post in this board as newbies - they don't realise it's not really a travel board. If you post on say, the Lonely Planet forums asking about a prospective Florence trip or suchlike, with vague questions about what might be fun, people will be happy to jump in and give you all sorts of suggestions because “what's good to see in Florence” is the topic that unites them.

However, here here on this board are you a mixture of travellers, ex-pats, long term stayers, assorted lunatics etc., (with I guess only a love of cock as the unfier!) so if you ask your travel question you are as likely to get people are replying with a smart-ass comment to get a laugh, or are on their own hobby-horses and so on. I don't mean this so much as a criticism of this board as much as just explaining how the board is. It can also suffer (in the views of some) because of the fact that it's not really a pure bar-mongering board either, such as say the Pattaya Addicts board is for straight mongers. This means that it is often a less sympathetic to the trip reports then it could be (and personally I'd prefer if it was more welcoming of sexually frank trip reports and the like) but again it's because it's such a mixed board and you have quite a few posters so don't really like that sort of discussion, and are not shy about making their opinions known.

So that is really are rather long-winded way to say don't let yourself be too put off if you can't get the answer you want quickly on this board. However there is a lot of detailed knowledge here, so if you have a particular question you can get a good info. My advice would be to think first if you're travelling to decide what sort of trip you want and ask pretty focused questions such as "I was thinking of going to Samui (or Chiang Mai or Krabi) with my boyfriend and I am interested in sex without payment, or maybe just gay bars to hung out in, what is that place like for that?"

If you ask a question like "I am thinking of going to Pattaya but I don't want to off a guy cause I think its too tacky" it's a bit like saying "I want to go to Las Vegas but I don't like gambling"

You are not going to get a positive reaction.

5. 8 Users gave Like to post:

arsenal (August 3rd, 2017), bobsaigon2 (August 3rd, 2017), colmx (August 4th, 2017), francois (August 3rd, 2017), goji (August 3rd, 2017), Nirish guy (August 3rd, 2017), Tintin (August 3rd, 2017), whitemouse (August 4th, 2017)

Forum's veteran
    Liked

Quote Originally Posted by RonanTheBarbarian View Post
    If you ask a question like "I am thinking of going to Pattaya but I don't want to off a guy cause I think its too tacky" it's a bit like saying "I want to go to Las Vegas but I don't like gambling"
    But he didn't say it like that, did he, at least I didn't think he did? He posed an open-ended question with no mention of wanting or not wanting paid sex. Certainly I don't recall him making any criticism of it, at least not initially. It was others who jumped and made all sorts of assumptions against him, including projecting their own moral guilt on paid sex, IMHO.

My grandparents are not into gambling but they went to Las Vegas to see Tony Bennett as part of their tour of the US West Coast. They loved it. They don't drink much wine or alcohol but they really liked the Nappa Valley and took great pictures. They don't eat beef but sometimes go to MacDonald's for hotcakes and hash browns...
    Last edited by sglad; August 3rd, 2017 at 05:59.

Liked

Specific questions will usually get specific replies. But each and every member here reserves the right to introduce other subjects into almost any thread however banal or venal that subject might be. For example, Freaky might use your questions to launch an attack on an institution while being fully aware of potential consequences. Isn't that right Freakykins?

8. User who gave Like to post:

bobsaigon2 (August 3rd, 2017)

Liked

Quote Originally Posted by sglad View Post
    But he didn't say it like that, did he, at least I didn't think he did? He posed an open-ended question with no mention of wanting or not wanting paid sex. Certainly I don't recall him making any criticism of it, at least not initially.
    Well, his opening question was : "Pattaya - Is it all go go bars? Is there any gay nightlife that doesn't revolve around that symbiotic relationship of selling and buying sex?"

Perhaps it WAS meant as straightforward question, but the undertone of it was pretty clear, in my mind anyway.

Perhaps Omega just happens to have an unfortunate tendency to ask innocent questions in a somewhat aggressive way?

By the way, chuffed to get all the "likes" in my previous post, when I reread it myself after posting it seemed like a turgid repetition of the bleedin obvious, so glad to see that a few people thought it was worth spelling out anyway.
    Last edited by RonanTheBarbarian; August 4th, 2017 at 03:30. Reason: spelling

10. User who gave Like to post:

bobsaigon2 (August 4th, 2017)

Liked

Quote Originally Posted by RonanTheBarbarian View Post
    Well, his opening question was : "Pattaya - Is it all go go bars? Is there any gay nightlife that doesn't revolve around that symbiotic relationship of selling and buying sex?"

Perhaps it WAS meant as straightforward question, but the undertone of it was pretty clear, I thought...

Perhaps Omega just happens to have an unfortunate tendency to ask innocent questions in a somewhat aggressive way?

All of Omega's questions have been about sex, this thread, and his 'newby' advice thread, where is one and ONLY question how safe is it bring pills that allow him to fuck without condoms to Thailand. All very innocent, a young man curious about Thai culture, man finding himself in a distant land of temples and such, discovering Silk Road. Nothing to do with sex at all, ESPECIALLY dirty, paid sex! This young man is pure!

LOL.

The reason Omega and Sglad understand each other so well, to the point they're almost able complete each others sentences, is because they are very likely related. Earlier Sglad deciphered Omega's vague question about where to party in very expert fashion. To most English speakers wanting to 'party' means getting high, but Sglad accurately translated it to mean wanting to go dancing. I'm sure he meant FREE party, because it has to be free. Paying is for dirty old men!!

12. 2 Users gave Like to post:

a447 (August 4th, 2017), bobsaigon2 (August 4th, 2017)

Liked

Quote Originally Posted by whitemouse View Post
    The reason Omega and Sglad understand each other so well, to the point they're almost able complete each others sentences, is because they are very likely related.
    And I'm pretty sure Omega and Sglad have a third brother in Khon Kaen, that blind dude with 'couple of cool dogs' .

14. 2 Users gave Like to post:

a447 (August 4th, 2017), bobsaigon2 (August 4th, 2017)

Liked

Quote Originally Posted by whitemouse View Post
    The reason Omega and Sglad understand each other so well, to the point they're almost able complete each others sentences, is because they are very likely related.
    A bit like the "relationship" between sgdad and sugargrandpa, perhaps?

Lol

16. User who gave Like to post:

bobsaigon2 (August 4th, 2017)