Gay World
Everything Else
FAQ & Help
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: First Time Retirement Visa

Forum's veteran
    Liked

First Time Retirement Visa

Switching from a Tourist Visa to a Retirement Visa may be beneficial for those getting close to retirement age - and you can do this during your holiday in-country as long as you have a few weeks left on your stay. It's not for everyone, that's for sure, but it may serve someone's best interest.

Read about it here:

https://pattayaone.news/speedy-most-...-visa-service/

2. User who gave Like to post:

mr giggles (October 16th, 2021)

Forum's veteran
    Liked

Re: First Time Retirement Visa

As a follow-on:

I'm not recommending that anyone use the servies of the Company who posted that article on PattayaOne. I would assume most people could do this themselves without using an agent.

Forum's veteran Manforallseasons's Avatar
    Liked

The advantage of getting a retirement visa in Thailand as opposed to your home country is that you get an O-B visa instead of an O-A visa which doesn’t require you to show evidence of a health insurance policy with minimum coverage of 400,000 baht in patient and 40,000 out patient. excluding your initial Covid policy.
    "In the land of the blind the one eyed man is king"

5. User who gave Like to post:

christianpfc (October 17th, 2021)

Forum's veteran
    Liked

Quote Originally Posted by Manforallseasons View Post
    The advantage of getting a retirement visa in Thailand as opposed to your home country is that you get an O-B visa instead of an O-A visa which doesn’t require you to show evidence of a health insurance policy with minimum coverage of 400,000 baht in patient and 40,000 out patient. excluding your initial Covid policy.
    Good point.

Also, being able to extend a 90 day max tourist holiday to a 15 month stay with the O-Visa may work for some as well.

Liked

Quote Originally Posted by Manforallseasons View Post
    Interesting.
    So considering the options for anyone arriving on a 90 day O-visa and wanting to extend their holiday slightly:

1 A 30 day extension is not available on a 90 day O-visa (as far as I can tell). Well, not without tea money.

2 A 60 day covid extension may be available, although this could be withdrawn before it is time to apply. Also it is supposedly for people unable to return home due to covid restrictions, although they have been granting them to people who could easily return home.

3 Doing an overland visa run is not practical at present due to border restrictions.

4 Dumping 800,000 baht in a Thai bank account for a couple of months allows anyone over 50 to apply for an O-B visa ?

Am I missing any options ?

Forum's veteran
    Liked

Quote Originally Posted by goji View Post
    Interesting.
    So considering the options for anyone arriving on a 90 day O-visa and wanting to extend their holiday slightly:

1 A 30 day extension is not available on a 90 day O-visa (as far as I can tell). Well, not without tea money.

2 A 60 day covid extension may be available, although this could be withdrawn before it is time to apply. Also it is supposedly for people unable to return home due to covid restrictions, although they have been granting them to people who could easily return home.

3 Doing an overland visa run is not practical at present due to border restrictions.

4 Dumping 800,000 baht in a Thai bank account for a couple of months allows anyone over 50 to apply for an O-B visa ?

Am I missing any options ?
    The only other option that I'm aware of is for those who can arrange a minimum of 65,000 baht/month deposits in a Thai bank account when they retire which also satisfies the financial requirements. The problem with this is that the person would have to show 12 consecutive monthly deposits (1 year) before gaining approval.

Liked

Quote Originally Posted by Dodger View Post
    I'm not recommending that anyone use the servies of the Company who posted that article on PattayaOne. I would assume most people could do this themselves without using an agent.
    if anyone is going to be using an agent it would be better to use one that has a better understanding of the process and can explain it better than the crap these people are sprouting

and one of the main reasons people resort to agents like this is their claim "We can provide the funds to support the application" and if you want to go down that path then thanks very much, this is why the financial requirements keep getting made more difficult - it doesn't stop the agents playing games with bank finds it just makes it harder for the legitimate applicants

Quote Originally Posted by goji View Post
    Interesting.
    I am not familiar with an O-B visa (perhaps MFS can provide more details) but 12 month "retirement extensions" talked about in the article are designed for people who want to stay in the country long term to enjoy their retirement - hence their name, they are not designed for tourists who want to stay a few extra months on their holiday

having said that however if your plan is to travel to Thailand multiple times each year for extended periods then the Non O-A "retirement visa" may be your best option to exploit

one of the first concepts to grasp is "long stay" as applied to a visa - tourist visas and Non O visas are "short stay" and extending a permission to stay based on these visas currently does not require insurance even if the extension is for 12 months, Non O-A and Non O-X visas are "long stay" and extending a permission to stay based on these visas currently does require insurance

the second concept to grasp is visa validity, initial permission to stay and entry count - typically a Non O visa issued in Thailand or overseas is valid for 3 months, is single entry, and grants an initial 3 month permission to stay, typically a Non O-A visa issued overseas is valid for 12 months, is multiple entry, and grants an initial 12 month permission to stay on each entry

the third concept to grasp is the funds requirement - typically to do a 12 month extension of a permission to stay based on a Non O visa issued overseas or to obtain a Non O in Thailand and to obtain a 12 month extension of a permission to stay based on that visa you must prove 800,000 Baht in a Thai bank for a "seasoning period" (2 months for initial application, 3 months for extension) and the funds must still be in the bank for the next extension or satisfy the requirements for monthly transfers for 12 months, typically to apply for a Non O-A visa issued overseas you must prove the equivalent of 800,000 Baht in a bank in your home country (and some other requirements), to obtain a 12 month extension of permission to stay the funds need to be in Thailand, and you need insurance, but you can just go home and apply for a new Non O-A visa to avoid this

so if you really want to retire to Thailand then a Non O visa obtained either at home or in Thailand is your best bet, but if you want to travel to Thailand for extended periods for almost 2 years then the Non O-A visa acquired at home may be a better option
    I can’t even be bothered to be apathetic these days!

10. 2 Users gave Like to post:

christianpfc (October 17th, 2021), Dodger (October 17th, 2021)

Liked

bkkguy, the O-A and O-B visa are different only as the 0-A is gotten in one’s home country whereas the O-B can only be obtained in Thailand.

Liked

I thought that a "B" visa was for Business?

Liked

Quote Originally Posted by francois View Post
    I thought that a "B" visa was for Business?
    No, if you look at your original 1 year visa if you got it in Thailand as I did it will be noted as an O-B visa as I did, If your initial 1 year visa was gotten at a Thai embassy in the U.S. U.K. etc. it will be noted as a O-A visa.