Everything Else
FAQ & Help
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Hanoi Vietnam

Forum's veteran
    Liked

Re: Hanoi Vietnam

Quote Originally Posted by goji
    It is clear the journalist has to write an article, but at no point is it clear, or even suggested he has been to Vietnam.
    Then it seems to evolve from internet research into spas onto possible fiction in the coverage of the bars, just to spice it up a bit.
    Gay Times is not the only organ that crafts travel reports from internet sites. In May 2013 I had a correspondence with the editor of gaytravel.com about articles purporting to have been written about a visit to Thailand. The writer raved about a male spa he had visited in Bangkok - but couldn't remember the name! (Probably Babylon - how on earth do you forget the name?) Bangkok has fabulous temples, he wrote, but the only one he named was 2 1/2 hours outside the city! The gay bars are congregated around Snow Cowboy! No, that's not my mistake. He actually wrote Snow rather than Soi, and clearly was not aware that Soi Cowboy is for other types of bar. No mention whatever of Silom Soi 4 or Soi Twlight.

There were several other horrors. What these "articles" highlight is the need for readers to be aware that several supposed gay travel sites spout drivel.

Liked

The church in the Old Quarter.
    View from the roof top breakfast room of a hotel in the area.
    The bell chimes regularly every 30 minutes, and lasts a good two minutes at 5am for matin. Luckily I had my ear plugs handy.
    There are still people who get up early to pray.
    One is spoiled for choice of hotels in the vicinity of the Catholic church.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by dinagam; February 26th, 2016 at 08:31.

3. User who gave Like to post:

goji (February 26th, 2016)

Liked

I once went to Hanoi years ago. Had a hotel booked for a week, and only lasted 36 hours before I was back on a plane to Thailand.

Quote Originally Posted by firecat69 View Post
    Crossing the streets however is an adventure.
    This was a big one for me. When travelling, especially when I hit a new city, I love to walk the streets for hours at a time. Doing that in Hanoi's Old Quarter is a little easier said than done though. Then on top of the 8000 motorbikes you have to manuveur around when crossing the street, other things like those ladies walking around with the poles with straw baskets on both ends selling stuff were a little too relentless. They would literally follow me around for blocks at a time.

Then I got scammed multiple times, drugged once, lost several times, etc. 36 hours after landing in Hanoi, I was back on a plane to Pattaya.

Although I will admit, loads of young, cute guys in Hanoi. Never hooked up with anyone there, but if you're into slim Asians with cute faces, then Hanoi has loads of eye candy to look at.

Liked

I stayed close to that church a few years ago.
    Found one nice hotel on Agoda.
    After an overnight trip to Halong bay, I was offered & accepted a very good rate at another even better hotel, whilst walking back to my original hotel.
    There can be benefits to travelling without a reservation.

The area is very nice. The hotels were up narrow side streets & I wasn't disturbed by the bells.

As for scams, I don't think I was scammed at all in Hanoi. Although during the whole Vietnam trip, there was certainly overcharging for some of the bus tickets.

Forum's veteran
    Liked

Take care if travelling in the Countryside and chose to go on an unauthorised tour with no safety gear it seems :-( Very sad.

Source : http://news.sky.com/story/1649239/br...waterfall-tour

Three British tourists have died while climbing waterfalls in Vietnam, the Foreign Office has confirmed.

The bodies of one man and two women, reportedly aged 19 and 25, have been recovered downstream of the Datanla waterfalls in the central Lam Dong province - a popular tourist spot.

Police are questioning one man on suspicion of taking the group on an unauthorised tour.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Liked

Quote Originally Posted by cdnmatt View Post
    Although I will admit, loads of young, cute guys in Hanoi. Never hooked up with anyone there, but if you're into slim Asians with cute faces, then Hanoi has loads of eye candy to look at.
    And pale skin. But I like brown skin, Vietnam didn't offer much to me in that aspect. In fact, after spending some days in both Saigon and Hanoi, I can rule out Vietnam as a travel destination for boys.

8. User who gave Like to post:

ktq (July 14th, 2020)

Forum's veteran Brad the Impala's Avatar
    Liked

Quote Originally Posted by dinagam View Post
    The bell chimes regularly every 30 minutes, and lasts a good two minutes at 5am for matin.

One is spoiled for choice of hotels in the vicinity of the Catholic church.
    I wonder if these two pieces of information are connected.

Liked

Quote Originally Posted by Brad the Impala View Post
    I wonder if these two pieces of information are connected.
    The St Joseph cathedral is one of the Grandes Dames of Hanoi.
    The bell towers are clearly head & shoulder above the roofs of most buildings in the Old Quarter.
    Some tourists find the settings charming, the rustic structures & the small square in front, plus the bell chimes. But in the still of the night, the punctual chimes can be a bit annoying, if your hotel room is facing the square. Some hotels have good double glazed Windows, and rooms facing away from the church don't hear much from the bell.
    But it remains one of the attractions of the Old Quarter by virtue of its proximity to other sites. Only 200m to the lake & BC bar, convenient for pickups & dropoffs for tourists taking tours, 900m from the Opera House, 1-2km from museums & historical sites. And of course the numerous hostels, guesthouses, & hotels, restaurants & bars etc etc.

Liked

Quote Originally Posted by dinagam View Post
    Only 200m to the lake & BC bar
    Close to GC bar as well. Is BC some kind of copycat operation?

Liked

Quote Originally Posted by goji View Post
    Close to GC bar as well. Is BC some kind of copycat operation?
    My eyes failed me again, goji. I was referring to the longstanding GC bar in Bao Khanh road. It was always full on Friday evenings. This time around there was hardly a soul on a Wednesday evening when I passed by.