Quick navigation:
List of forums
Gay Thailand
Gay Cambodia
Gay Vietnam
Gay World
Everything Else
FAQ & Help

Thread: Thailand to tax foreign pensions???

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Liked

Re: Thailand to tax foreign pensions???

By “ex-pats” you mean immigrants?

Liked

Quote Originally Posted by scottish-guy View Post
    I wish it did mean that, but it really doesn't. We are more considered guests in the country. We can get things such as driving licenses and bank accounts, but we are not eligible for much of anything else. There is no do-able path to citizenship (except for the very wealthy). We have to meet financial criteria. We can't get dual citizenship. If we are on the retirement visa we cannot work other than certain types of volunteer work and we can't get work permits. We can't get a Thai passport. Our visas can be revoked at any time and we can be deported without trial.

To my way of thinking, immigrant status would allow for being able to do most of the things the above says we can't. When so many immigrants went to live in the USA, especially during the late 1800s to early 1900s, all a great many had was the shirts on their back. Even today, people whether legally or illegally trying to enter the USA, that still is all they have. It doesn't work that way for expats in Thailand.
    https://www.gaybuttonthai.com

Liked

Quote Originally Posted by Gaybutton View Post
    If we are on the retirement visa we cannot work other than certain types of volunteer work and we can't get work permits
    Can you let us know which type of volunteer work is permissible? My understanding has always been that work as a volunteer even for a charity is not permitted. Thanks

Forum's veteran
    Liked

Quote Originally Posted by Armando View Post

........My understanding has always been that work as a volunteer even for a charity is not permitted. Thanks
    PERFECT!!!

I'm here strictly for FUN.

5. User who gave Like to post:

arsenal (October 4th, 2023)

Liked

Quote Originally Posted by scottish-guy View Post
    Most Expats and other foreigners, unless they obtain Thai Permanent Residence status, are in Thailand on a continuing basis by extending their stay permitted by their "Non-Immigrant" Visa. For those that wish to apply for Thai Permanent Residency, visit: https://www.immigration.go.th/en/?page_id=1744

7. User who gave Like to post:

scottish-guy (October 4th, 2023)