Gay Vietnam
Gay World
Everything Else
FAQ & Help
Page 12 of 13 FirstFirst ... 28910111213 LastLast

Thread: History of Soi Twilight

Liked

Re: History of Soi Twilight

The worst part about x-treme was the indeterminate gap between each act in the show. Sometimes the gap was as long as the act themselves. Divas and their costume changes! But they definitely needed an equivalent of a circus clown between acts!

Incidentally I offed a boy from there probably in 2002. Around 7-8 years ago he hit me up on Gayromeo. He was now working as a nurse in Bangkok-Pattaya hospital, so it's nice to see that some Gogo boys end up in a career and not back on the farms in issan

(And no we didn't have a ST reunion!)

Liked

Armando,

I shared this business card in an earlier post:Baribery Coast.jpg Baribery Coast B.jpg

Do note that in 1981 to at least 1985 it was referred to a Barbierry Coast and the only sign outside that was mounted to the ceiling overhang above the door stated "Barbiery Coast."

Liked

Quote Originally Posted by colmx View Post
    The worst part about x-treme was the indeterminate gap between each act in the show. Sometimes the gap was as long as the act themselves. Divas and their costume changes! But they definitely needed an equivalent of a circus clown between acts!
    I reckon what they needed was a producer, someone to crack the whip (as it were) to ensure the show ran smoothly without all those long gaps. There was surely no reason for all the boys to dance in each number.

Liked

Quote Originally Posted by TaoR View Post
    Do note that in 1981 to at least 1985 it was referred to a Barbierry Coast and the only sign outside that was mounted to the ceiling overhang above the door stated "Barbiery Coast."
    Thanks. My first visit must have been around 1985. I wonder why they shortened the name - and got the spelling of Barbery wrong! Ours not to reason why.

Liked

My last visit was in 1985 and I actually spent most of my time in Phuket during that visit. I know the sign above the door said Barbiery Coast, the business card said Barbiery Cocktail Lounge, and I remember one cab driver didn't know where "Barbiery" was but when you said "Barbiery Coast" then he knew.

All I know is that I fell in love with one of the waiters my very first visit and that kind of sealed my fate for further visits. I remember when they expanded with a third floor at the same location and I never once explored that floor. I was pretty satisfied with what the second floor provided and I knew who my off was....

I wish I had paid more attention as we used to cruise all the bars but I really do not remember much outside of the Apollo Club......

Liked

I remember when they expanded with a third floor at the same location and I never once explored that floor. I was pretty satisfied with what the second floor provided and I knew who my off was....

I wish I had paid more attention as we used to cruise all the bars but I really do not remember much outside of the Apollo Club......
    In all my many visits I never realised there was anything on the 3rd floor other than changing space for the boys. Lots seemed to go up there after their their stint in the shows and after. I expect there may have been short time rooms. If so, the waiters never advertised them to my group.

Loved Apollo. First visited in 1980 and was a regular until either it closed or I happened upon Twilight and Barbiery.

7. User who gave Like to post:

TaoR (September 13th, 2021)

Liked

I actually fell in love with a waiter at Barbiery and I always hooked up with him every visit from 1981 until 1985. The third floor also had a lounge area but I never went up there as I had no need. I know were always swung by Apollo as it was a great place to dance back then. There was also one other club we would visit but I cannot recall its name. The bar boys were pretty loyal to their bar....

Liked

I know were always swung by Apollo as it was a great place to dance back then.
    Not surprising that memories are somewhat hazy that far back. Having been there many times I just do not recall Apollo ever being a dance bar! As I remember it was a small space with a small bar on the left as you entered and a sort of zig zag catwalk on which the boys did their stuff. The rest of the space was seating for customers. I wonder if you might be thinking of Rome Club which then was the famous Soi 4 gay dance club.

10. User who gave Like to post:

TaoR (September 16th, 2021)

Forum's veteran Brad the Impala's Avatar
    Liked

Bar designs/styles change, which may explain conflicting memories. My recall of Apollo from the late 70's was of it being on the first floor, with a bar on the right as you entered. I also remember that the main feature was the the customers dancing, disco style. As to whether it was a "small place" it was always a two shop house size, larger than the other bars on the soi at that time.

12. User who gave Like to post:

TaoR (September 16th, 2021)

Liked

Armando, You are correct, I remember two spots both of them had names from Greece and or Rome. I remember the Rome Club because I loved to dance and we always spent a lot of time there. I also remember a bar that had a odd catwalk...so that was Apollo. Then outside of those three (including Barbiery) that is all I remember. I do not remember anything along the size of the pictures I see today of Bangkok or Pattaya! If this is "demise" (pre COVID) then I don't know what to say....