Quote Originally Posted by Chao Na
Get real! A farang can come to Thailand without any qualifications whatsoever, and stay forever as a visa runner without any qualifications whatsoever.

"Once they've obtained provisional stay"....don't make me laugh. It's hard enough for a Thai just to get to most Western countries as a simple tourist. The hurdles they must jump to be able to stay there permanently are extremely daunting.

How many farangs do you know who would be able to pass a Thai equivalent (in Thai, of course) of the test that Thais must take to obtain permission for provisional stay? Don't make me laugh.
Farang usually have the most sort after qualification to stay in Thailand, MONEY. On the other hand governments like the Dutch and British make the Thais as you say jump hurdles simply to insure that they are employable and that the don't become a financial liability on social security benefits.

As for tourist visas I cant speak for Thailand but where I live The British consulate is tough with South East Asian applicants even the ones who apply to travel with their employer. The percentage who run away in the UK is extremely high. I took 4 of my Filipino staff to The UK on an assignment for our employer. whilst there they told me they were approached by other Filipino's encouraging them run and go to a safe house. I'm glad to say I didn't loose any.