List of forums
Gay Thailand
Gay Cambodia
Gay Vietnam
Gay World
Everything Else
FAQ & Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bars closing this weekend? (14th /15th)

Bars closing this weekend? (14th /15th)

I read elsewhere that there would be no alcohol sales allowed from Friday 14th 6pm until Sunday 16th 6pm because of the advance voting for the election.

1) Can anyone confirm this?

2) If true, how does it affect the Jomtien St party?

3) Will the bars (go-go) be open and not serving alcohol, or all closed?

Alcohol is easy to stock up on, boys not so easy.

I had dinner at Asian Moon yesterday evening, and the owner (Darren) confirmed no liquor sales the 14th and 15th.

This might be the "elsewhere" that you read this, but if not, there is a thread announcing it on Thaivisa.com ( http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/index.php ... pic=158328 )

Thai election forces 2-weekend booze ban

BANGKOK: -- No alcohol will be served to expats, tourists or local residents in bars and restaurants over the next two weekends nationwide due to the oncoming election.

The first dry days will be 14, 15 and 16 December, pre-election days for a few million Thais who registered to vote early.

Thaivisa has been informed that no alcohol is allowed to be served nationwide between Friday 14th at 6pm until Sunday 16th at midnight.

Elections on the 23rd will mean no alcohol will be sold from 6pm on the 22nd till midnight on the 23rd of December.

Practically this means two or three dry days in the two weekends ahead, although some tourist areas tend to be lenient once it's past 7pm on election day.

Please be aware that local rules could apply. Big hotels are not likely to be affected.

--thaivisa.com 2007-12-13
    Now, this might make for a nice damper on the "Jomtien International Party" on the 14th.

Talk about well-kept secrets. TiT, and all, but to spring this < 48hrs in advance is a bit much. Thaivisa.com is usually a reliable source of info, but I notice strangely absent is a source for that post.

Stickman flagged this ...

... as a possibility in his column last Sunday

I mentioned the Thaivisa comment to my bf this morning. He said that he already knew about it because it had been broadcast on the Thai TV Channels' News broadcasts. I called a friend of mine this morning, who is with the Take Care group, about the Jomtien International event scheduled for tomorrow. It was his understanding that the organizers will be meeting around noon today to decide on a course of action. So, I expect they will be posting something this afternoon on what they plan to do.

Jomtien International Party - NOW ON MONDAY 17th DECEMBER

The Jomtien Gay Community has decided to move the Jomtien International Party to 17 December.

We learned late yesterday that the Thai Government has imposed a blanket Alcohol Ban on 14 & 15 Dcember due to Pre-election. These dates are put aside for people going back to their province in advance to vote for the General Election.

We have confirmed with Pattaya Police and Pattaya City Hall that no bars/restaurants/hotels will be serving alcohol. Hence we do not want to have a party where people cannot have a drink or two and and have decide to postpone the party to MONDAY 17 DECEMBER 2007.
    We have confirmed with all the acts, restaurants and boys for the contest and the program will be exactly the same as advertised.

We will be amending the date on posters and be leafleting Jomtien beach today to announe the change.

It would be much appreciated if everyone can inform others of this change.

In case anyone purchased tickets and cannot come on the new date, please return to where your bought them for a refund.

Re: Jomtien International Party - NOW ON MONDAY 17th DECEMBE

Quote Originally Posted by jomtiengayguide
    Hence we do not want to have a party where people cannot have a drink or two and and have decide to postpone the party to MONDAY 14 DECEMBER 2007.
    Is it too late to edit that post? I believe it should read MONDAY, 17 DECEMBER 2007?

I would have thought ..

... it would be better to postpone till sometime in January, I mean there are enough celebrations coming up.

Liked: 1

BARS OPEN 14, 15, 16

According to my source from a prominent gay bar, the bars in Boyztown WILL be open Dec. 14, 15, 16, however alcohol will not be served.

Re: I would have thought ..

Quote Originally Posted by WhiteDesire
    ... it would be better to postpone till sometime in January, I mean there are enough celebrations coming up.
    It is my understanding that the organizers had already purchased most of the items needed (drinks, food, etc.) for the event. So, it appears that delaying it only a few days was the logical decision under the circumstances..

NANGKOK (Silom) BARS ALSO OPEN 14, 15, 16

Quote Originally Posted by painai2
    According to my source from a prominent gay bar, the bars in Boyztown WILL be open Dec. 14, 15, 16, however alcohol will not be served.
    My source, prominent or otherwise says for the Silom area "Bars open, no booze (unless it's a restaurant, you're a well-known regular, and you drink from a mug or something equally inconspicuous)"